Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Norm Coleman  (Read 2062 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Norm almost got smoked in his boat, This is his account of the events that happened to him on Lake Ida...

No, the boat in the photo is not some discarded piece of junk- although it is now! It has served me well on Lake Ada in Northern Minnesota for many years. On Saturday morning I was on the bow of the boat, using my front trolling motor, with a couple of meaty Northern Pike in the live well. I pretty much had the lake to myself as there was only one or two other boats on 1000 acre, Lake Ada. Suddenly I heard the sound of an engine and turned to my right. I saw a Dad and two kids standing up in their boat, working on some fishing line. The problem was that they were looking down and their boat was about twenty yards from my boat, going full speed and heading right at me. I yelled , “Hey, look up” but they probably didn’t hear my shout over the sound of their engine. Their boat hit mine broadside and hurtled over my boat. At the moment of impact I dove into the water( I remember Tom Cruise doing something similar in Mission Impossible!). I was wearing a Cabella’s auto- inflate life vest, which I’ve had for at least 4-5 years. I was praying the cartridge still worked- and it did. I was wearing full fishing gear and boots and surely would have gone under had I not had on a life jacket.
The kids were also thrown from their boat- and thank God they also had on life jackets.In the end, we all survived-a little shaken, but unbloodied. Moral to the story- always wear a life jacket.
The usual spot for me on my boat is in my seat by the outboard motor using the tiller, while, trolling in reverse. Yesterday, the tiller was sheared off and the seat was crushed. Had I been sitting there I would have suffered the same fate. It was only because the fish finder in the back of the boat was on the blink, that had me up on the bow trolling. Perhaps the good Lord still has things for me to do. I’m hoping that’s the case. I’ve been facing mortality quite a bit in my battle in the last few years with the the Big C. I dodged a bullet this weekend. Hopefully, I’ll continue to stay a couple steps ahead of the Grim Reaper. Yesterday was a powerful reminder that we don’t totally control our destiny. I’ve been worried more about what my next scan at Mayo this week will show, than I was about the chance of something happening to me while fishing on Lake Ada.I continue to put my trust in my Maker-grateful for all the blessings I’ve had in my life.- and hopeful that I’ve got more to experience. After all, I’ve still got a lot of fish to catch.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Holy crap....that could have ended really bad for all three. Glad all are OK.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Who in there right minds tends to rods and fishing line going full speed!! Unlesx it's a 4 horse go for it.... :crazy: :crazy: :bonk:

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
wow.glad.everyone iz ok....whos norm coleman
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Guy that invented the Coleman lantern and stove.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Ran for Governor of Minnesota....  :confused:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And state senator.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
That's tough for anyone to go through.  Don't know what the dad had in his mind going full speed and not paying attention.  He had kids also.  No excuse for that at all.  Glad Coleman and his kids got through this.  Yes life jackets are important.  Many years I have had them in my boat but never used them.  Now getting older [and wiser] I wear them just in case.  As a youth I was on a swimming team in Jr. High and Sr. High.  Doesn't mean a thing then and for sure now as far as not wearing a life jacket.  Do it.  good luck.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
read this earlier and it's like WOW!!!!  I seen the aftermath of the same thing several years ago and there again everyone was dang lucky!!!!  that one happened at night and no lights on the that was hit...  dang lucky people...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
And state senator.
he was also a U.S. senator. For a republican he was pretty darn good.  :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!