Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Some ID help on parts in trailer hitch  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
I have a bunk trailer that has 4 wheels.  On the hitch there is a chain that goes to a cable that goes into the front part of the hitch.  I think it's a deal that is supposed to activate the brakes if the trailer breaks loose from the truck.  Right?

Then on the side there is a short cable that goes to a T shaped piece that fits into a slot on the side of the hitch.  That piece won't stay in place and so I have to tape it to hold it there.  There also is a pin on the cable that I presume is for me to put in the lever that holds the hitch to the ball.  What is the T shaped piece for?  Why do I have to hold it in place with tape?  How is it supposed to work?

Finally the trailer is wired for a five prong electric connection.  My truck, a 14 F150, only has a connector with 4 prongs.  I don't know what I am supposed to do with that.  I came up with a jumper that only has 4 prongs and use it.  Any explanation?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I only have a couple answers to your questions.
Yup the chain to the cable is for, and if the trailer becomes detached from the truck to apply brakes.

I don't know about the t bracket without seeing it.

And yes, you can get an adapter plug to go from the round prong connection to the 4 prong (straight) connection. If this is what you are talking about... without seeing pictures, I'm just guessing.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
HD IS RIGHT, the cablebconect to a pin typT that when pullednout engages the trailer breaks, generaly the is a small 12v bbat. like a vexilar battery that powers the system and that needs to be charged from time to time. and yup you can ge the right adaptor at any parts store and also help yu with understanding the system
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
BIL has a double axle 6,000 # trailer that they use to haul their 4 wheelers(3) up to the lake & from what I've seen of his brake system, HD & Boar are spot on. He uses the adapter on his as well but his little battery is getting old & was in need of a charge when they came up this season. So he's going to get 1 as a gift this year.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon