Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Black Hills deer hunting (2019)  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
This past weekend the 2019 Black Hills deer firearm season opened. My daughter and I went out both Saturday & Sunday. I drew a buck tag (first time in the past 3 years) and my daughter has a youth (antlerless). The season is the entire month of November. But we will be heading to our MN deer camp for five days over 14-18.

We sit together in a ground blind on public land (2nd picture). We saw about 12 doe’s (doe’s & fawns) on Saturday. We decided we are going to hold out for a decent buck, then go after a doe once we get a buck. That way we can hunt together more and not have my daughters tag filled during the first morning. We saw five more Sunday morning. However, Sunday afternoon we had deer all around us.

I got distracted watching five deer about 300-400 yards out to my left when my daughter whispers “there’s a buck” thru the window I am supposed to be watching (on my right). There were actually three bucks, and two doe. One buck was 30 yards away (all 3 bucks were big bucks). One of the doe was staring right at our blind and acting nervous. Before we new it she blows and all of them bounce off without shot. We saw about 30 deer total in the afternoon but majority were too far out for a clear comfortable shot. My daughter has been giving me a hard time about not watching “my window” and she is absolutely correct.  :undecided: The 3rd picture is the look she gave me a few minutes after the deer took off.  :bonk:

We are excited to go back out next weekend. My oldest (23 yr old son) will be joining us. He also drew a buck tag this year and has his own blind. So wish us luck!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: November 11/04/19, 08:27:13 AM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that will be a story that is retold many times I bet!!!!   :happy1: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Today my oldest son came with my daughter and I out in the ground blind. My daughter shot her first buck. It was a good shot at about 60 yards. It’s a 8 pointer. So proud of her!
« Last Edit: November 11/10/19, 08:44:54 AM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Awesome for her.  Love to see kids have success.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like a great time had by all.  Cool.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***