Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: It won't be long!  (Read 8045 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I checked the ice on the pond last night.  :happy1:

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
getting close. I seen the river in Warroad was iced over yesterday after work. I need to get my behind in gear on that fish house build.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen some others talkin 'bout walkin out on Vermillion by the weekend of the 16th, said they walked out last season at that time & had 4.5 " of ice. :scratch:
« Last Edit: November 11/06/19, 08:30:19 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
We used to go to this 300 acre shallow lake north of Duluth almost every year the weekend after Thanksgiving.  Normally always 6 to 7 inches of hard ice.  Last two years was a no go.  ice was iffy and then snow covered the ice causing the freezing to slow up. If things continue like it shows now as far as the cold then this may be the year for it again Of course amount of snow is always a factor on early ice.  good luck.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Made it to Fargo. My observations, the small ponds where ice covered, the medium sized ponds mostly iced over, big ponds and lakes not so much.

There was alot of venison smeared on the freeway and in the ditch. Did see 8 live ones, Glock of turkeys and one flock of geese. The rest must still be at boars house.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Glen.  I'll give my report when I get back from deer camp.  Should be back Monday.  good luck.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I seen a post where they had 3-6" on URL yday & some outfitters were allowing foot traffic, talkin of maybe wheelers by next weekend.

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw an article where some idiot fell thru near Isanti.  Way too early.  Saw lots on the ponds and potholes, but the larger lakes still had open water this weekend.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
by the time I got to the cabin my brother had the dock out but had to chisel a good 3 inches of ice all around it. I bet by tomorrow morning there's 6 inches of ice on the lake. it sure was making beautiful music last nite.

it was 1 below this morning when we went out hunting.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw an article where some idiot fell thru near Isanti.  Way too early.  Saw lots on the ponds and potholes, but the larger lakes still had open water this weekend.
Seen another post where somebody tried to say our lake was locked up last Thursday & somebody posted pics 2 hours later of the PA & it was wide open there for a good 50-75 yds. Pics from the air this weekend showed a big area in the main lake still open as well. :bonk: :scratch:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Yup, it was Skogman Lake...he made it out 30 yards and went down. Fire and rescue was called, and the sheriff responded... but,by the time they arrived, the guy got out on his own. He was wet and cold, but in good condition.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Record-breaking cold freezing Minnesota lakes early

November 12, 2019
MINNESOTA NEWS, MINNESOTA NEWS FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, TOP STORIES
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Record-breaking cold temperatures are freezing Minnesota lakes weeks earlier than normal.

Monday was the coldest high temperature in three decades in the Twin Cities. The temperature reached 18 degrees at midnight, tying the coldest high record set in 1986.

The National Weather Service said Tuesday and Wednesday may see record cold from the southern Plains to the Mississippi Valley to the Great Lakes and beyond. An arctic air mass that started in Siberia has moved through the Midwest and East Coast.

The Star Tribune reports new records were also set in northern Minnesota where Hibbing’s high was 9 degrees and Brainerd’s was 14, breaking the marks set in 1986.

National Weather Service meteorologist Bill Borghoff says the premature winter means lakes are already freezing, which is rare for this time of year.

___

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A friend reported 7 inches of ice on Red Lake.  They were out several miles however wind broke it up some last nigh to probably won't be going out this weekend.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Drove by there today and looked like ice out as far as I could see quickly as I was moving.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I know I've posted this before but a new season is about to begin & we have some new members here so...............................here's a way to check ice up conditions around the state for yourself. Only takes a couple minutes to go to: https://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php?satellite=t1&product=true_color&date=2019_11_12_316&overlay_sector=false&overlay_state=true&ov it's satellite imagery from the UW so it helps if it's a clear day. There's a calendar up in the corner so 1 can go back to a less cloudy day & then you can zoom in below that. Take a minute or 2 & check it out someday, kinda  :cool:
« Last Edit: November 11/17/20, 11:17:31 AM by Gunner55 »

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I know I've posted this before but a new season is about to begin & we have some new members here so...............................here's a way to check ice up conditions around the state for yourself. Only takes a couple minutes to go to: https://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php?satellite=t1&product=true_color&date=2019_11_12_316&overlay_sector=false&overlay_state=true&ov it's satellite imagery from the UW so it helps if it's a clear day.There's a calendar up in the corner so 1 can go back to a less cloudy day & then you can zoom in below that. Take a minute or 2 & check it out someday, kinda  :cool:

I've use this every year as well. It takes a little bit to figure out how to use the site to see what you want to.  :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I just look for the big lakes, LOW, URL, Winnie, Leech, & ML to get my bearings & go from there. Zoom as needed. If there's many clouds it can be tough to tell what area you're looking at.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i just took a look at geigers and the narrows cams, hard to tell on bowstring but ice is forming along the shorelines at the narrows. i know the cabin lake was iced over for as far as i could see. only spot that maybe was open was out in the deep hole where the creek is????

now iffin the wind would only leave it alone. :pouty:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
If it's not the wind, it's too much  :snow5: early like the last couple seasons. :crazy: It doesn't look like :scratch: I'll be doing much, if any, :fishing: this winter again :doah: so no big deal here. :thumbs:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
If it's not the wind, it's too much  :snow5: early like the last couple seasons. :crazy: It doesn't look like :scratch: I'll be doing much, if any, :fishing: this winter again :doah: so no big deal here. :thumbs:
yea so............. :mooning: :mooning: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

what are your Inger girls gonna do all winter then if your not up there to keep them warm!!!!!!!  :smoking: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: :mooning: :pouty:  Bring Grandma up to see you!!  :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Was going to start a new thread but might as well put it here. These pop ups sure have gotten popular,  thinking maybe its time to part ways with my old portable ( which is the same size ) but 150 lbs heavier . Anyone have any thoughts on these? Having no floor shouldn't be an issue,  nuttin that some outdoor carpet can't fix.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Was going to start a new thread but might as well put it here. These pop ups sure have gotten popular,  thinking maybe its time to part ways with my old portable ( which is the same size ) but 150 lbs heavier . Anyone have any thoughts on these? Having no floor shouldn't be an issue,  nuttin that some outdoor carpet can't fix.
still aint gonna help you catch more fish!!!!!! :sleazy: :smoking: :evil: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

look at boar, he's got an ice castle and he still cant catch a cold!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered about the no floor thing too.  I got an 8x8 insulated one about 3 years ago.  They say it is a 4 man but to me it is a 2 man.  I really like it.  I just shovel some of the loose snow and pop it up.  I always try to have my truck/atv/sled parked into the wind so I can tie to it.  Big Buddy heater and ready to fish.  I like it. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So boober, you looking to replace the one you and your kiddo used last year when I was with ???

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
there's your buyer Bobber!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
there's your buyer Bobber!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
:tut: :tut:. I gotz my fish catching shack already.    Several!!👍

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 A insulated Eskimo Fat Fish hub style house here that's 4-5 years old but still like new with the ice conditions the last couple seasons. :pouty: Like LPS's it's 'sposed to fish 3-4 but it's more like a 2 man to me. From what I hear Otter's are some of the best, along with Canvascraft which are made in Mn.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have the Otter 8 x 8 like I said and it is the insulated one.  Love it!  They didn't have a Clam one that size in the store when I bought it so haven't been in one of them but they are probably nice too. The wife and I were out on the lake last year with it on a real windy day.  When we finally decided to pack up we both just started picking things up and putting stuff in the truck.  When we got in the truck to drive away I looked at my watch and it took 7 minutes to pack everything up nice and neatly.  That is a definite benefit to them. 
« Last Edit: November 11/18/20, 09:03:23 AM by LPS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
a friend i fish with has i believe an eskimo????? its red??????? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: it doesnt have a floor either. he had one hell of a time colapsing it when it took it down. i dont think he's set it up much so that may have played a roll in it. he has these anchors you screw into the ice, we where up north and he couldnt get them screwed in and actually bent one.

i have an old Dave Gentz pullover with the sled. i'm not a big fan of the no floor because of the heater sitting in the snow but it works for the 4-5 times i year i use it.

and you guys are right if it says its a 4man its really only somewhat comfy for 2, just like ice castles or campers or a tent.