Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Needlefish Attacks!  (Read 1664 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Needlefish attacks Indonesian teen on fishing trip, stabs him through neck.

Boy ends up in hospital
A needlefish jumped out of the water and attacked a 16-year-old Indonesian boy during his fishing trip. He ended up going through an emergency operation.

16-year-old Indonesian boy was recently attacked by a needlefish. Muhammad Idul was fishing in the Buton waters off the South East Sulawesi province in Indonesia with his parents when a needlefish jumped out of the water and pierced Idul's neck.

Needlefish is a slender fish whose most distinct feature is the narrow, long beak containing sharp teeth. In Idul's case, the fish's snout went through the side of his neck and pierced out from the back of his skull.

Facebook page Savage Paramedics shared the hair-raising images with the caption, "How would you handle this type of trauma when you first arrive on the scene? This injury occurred when a needlefish jumped out of the water and pierced the neck of a boat passenger!"

(Graphic Content: Viewer's discreetion advised)

They added, "Luckily this patient was rushed to a hospital, where the fish was removed during emergency surgery. The patient made a full recovery. Needlefish are adept jumpers, carnivorous, and distinguished by long, slender jaws equipped with sharp teeth. The largest needlefish ever recorded measured about 1.2 m (4 feet) long!"

Idul was rushed to the hospital, where the fish was removed from his neck during an emergency operation. He is now under-recovery and will be under observation to prevent him from any infection.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is scary.  I just decided I won't ever go swimming there!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I wouldn't stick my toe in ANY river in India!   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya really. You are at the mercy of whoever is upriver from you.  With a group of boaters you always want to be the boat upstream of the program. 
« Last Edit: January 01/23/20, 05:39:24 PM by LPS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I've caught needlefish off of the pier in Florida....so I guess this could happen anywhere....hahahaha
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That kid is so lucky that fish didn't hit or even nick his carotid...he woulda bled out in three minutes or less

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm shocked he lived, just can vision the fish shaking violently out of the water, maybe the family acted quickly and cut off its head..

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
after seeing some of the piercings people have around here...….. he'd a fit right in!!!!! :doofus: :doofus: :doofus:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
He is so lucky that nothing else was damaged.  Like you said he could have bled out in a minute or two with a slight deviation.  Or wiggling etc.  Hospital being fairly close was a blessing too.