Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: pancakes or waffles  (Read 9859 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Many years ago I tapped our huge Silver Maples.  2 of them.  I got 15 gals a day per tree when the temps were perfect.  I had pails staging in the cool garage and was cooking after work till I went to bed every night and couldn't keep up with those two trees.  I would finally bring it inside and finish it on the stove.  Worked pretty good except it wasn't real strong flavor that I wanted so we had to put Maple extract in it.  LOLOL  Talk about a lot of work to then have to add flavor to it.  I think we even added some food coloring.  LOL  Well it was good cuz we made it but that program only lasted two years.  I cooked it on a turkey cooker propane deal using one of those huge blue speckled pots.  I tried to turn it way down and let it cook overnight ONCE.  Woke up and the whole neighborhood smelled sweet as he77.  As soon as I woke up I thought Oh Oh...  Cooked the he77 out of it so bad I had to through the pan away.  That made just buying it seem pretty affordable. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Here's a question: How long does the real maple syrup last in the fridge? The reason I ask is there's some the friend I mentioned made that's still in the fridge, unopened. I'm pretty sure it's some I gave to my Mom back about 2012 and when we cleaned out her place, I got it back. It looks fine & hasn't sugared out but I'm almost afraid to try it. :confused:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You would be the person I would ask.  Does sugar create anything bad after it gets old?  Honey has it's own natural preservative in it.  Does syrup?  First you take the lid off when noone else is around and smell it.  If that isn't too bad then you stick your finger in it and smell again.  If it smells really bad stick a different finger in it and try the smell test again.  It may have been your finger that stunk.  If it smells ok it is of course time for someone to taste it.  It is already on your finger so you are kind of the guy.  Let us know how it is.  Hope to hear from you tomorrow.  It can't be that bad can it? 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm going to agree with LPS on this one..  and I love LPS's last two sentences!!!!!!  good gawd!!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
interesting Reb!!    looks a good product they have too!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Rebs! Doing that research helped free up my schedule so I have more time to fling monkey poo at glenn!  :rotflmao: Seriously, I didn't see any mold or anything on or in the jar so I poured some out into a teaspoon, gave it the old sniff test and took a taste. It still tastes great!  :happy1: The product is in glass, something my friend always insisted on. And it's been refrigerated which didn't hurt. Pretty sure the wife won't touch it but WTH? More for me on ice cream, Bailey's French toast or pancakes when she's off galavanting across the US. Might even be able to shoot a few cats out the window to keep glenn supplied with jerky!  :evil:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is great.  Good info Rebs.  50 years or so that is great!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Glad I don't have to worry about which syrup is good.  :pouty: :pouty:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Guess not............. :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :pouty: :pouty: Yea maybe a boo berry one would be good  :rotflmao: no ucky syrup though.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
It says on my Mrs. Butterworth's "No refrigeration needed". Must be fake syrup. But it's good on vanilla ice cream and brushed on pigger chops for maple smoked piggers!
I skipped toast this am and had two Eggo buttermilk waffles instead ... :kiss:
« Last Edit: February 02/24/20, 08:50:17 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Aside from the storebought stuff, I remember when I was a kid, we'd "make" syrup by boiling 2 cups of water, then dump in 2 cups sugar and a teaspoon of something called "Mapleine."  It had a crescent moon on the bottle. I think it's basically a maple extract with some color added.  That was some good sweet syrup. Definitely shows you how much sugar is in syrup though. I should try that again and see if it's something that's as good as I remember.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My Mom used to get that and it tasted pretty decent.  :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Aside from the storebought stuff, I remember when I was a kid, we'd "make" syrup by boiling 2 cups of water, then dump in 2 cups sugar and a teaspoon of something called "Mapleine."  It had a crescent moon on the bottle. I think it's basically a maple extract with some color added.  That was some good sweet syrup. Definitely shows you how much sugar is in syrup though. I should try that again and see if it's something that's as good as I remember.

That's why I can hardly eat pancakes and syrup any more....   I keep thinking about all t he carbs and sugar... 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Eat low-carb waffles and sugar-free syrup, silly. I do and they taste great. Can't tell the difference.

« Last Edit: February 02/25/20, 08:46:26 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember that one too.  Wasn't there another with brown sugar, something and vanilla?

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I keep maple syrup in the deep freeze. Some is eight years old and it is perfectly fine. Funny how it still won't freeze at below zero temps.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I keep maple syrup in the deep freeze. Some is eight years old and it is perfectly fine. Funny how it still won't freeze at below zero temps.

what do you do when you want it, warm it all?  just wondering...  it' an interesting thought...

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We just set it on the counter and let it thaw out for half a day or so.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Seems to keep pretty well in the refrigerator too.  Not eight years though.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks roony!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

You got data Del or you just blowin' smoke again? Mine's gotta be all of that old. :scratch:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

You got data Del or you just blowin' smoke again? Mine's gotta be all of that old. :scratch:

Data?  nope.  Got a bottle from Costco.   I could check and see the dates on it.  So far so good.   Maybe it will go 8 years...