Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Tomatoes....wilting?  (Read 2418 times)

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I need the expertise of some of the gardeners on this site. I have about 6 tomato plants that are grown in large tree pots because I don’t have a garden. Every day, especially during this heat wave I have to drag some of the plants into the garage because the leafs wilt and droop. I know it’s been getting pretty hot lately, but I don’t remember ever having this happen before. Are those of you with gardens seeing this with your plants? It doesn’t seem to happen with the cherry tomato’s or a couple of regular tomatoes? And yes, they are being watered regularly.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Your not alone coopy. Mins do it too. It's the heat. My cukes are particularly vac at this. Once the sun goes down and the garden is shaded the leaves perk back up .

It wouldn't hurt to throw done Epson salt or fertilizer in them.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mine too...as soon as I give them a shower of fresh water... they perk right up...

This heat is sucking on all fronts. But, it seems to be making stuff sprout more?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Be careful of not to much water also.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
SO, I have heard people talking about Epsom salts on plants.  Does it make a difference?

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Epsom salt is a source of magnesium, sometimes soil can be short of it. I think it's fine to ad some when you water but it's not a miracle cure.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have some so maybe I will do a sprinkle around my tomato plants.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've found that if you mix epsom salts in yer G&T's you don't need a stool softener Barry... :shocked:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Epsom salt is a source of magnesium, sometimes soil can be short of it. I think it's fine to ad some when you water but it's not a miracle cure.
no it's not a miracle but I'm convinced it really helps them.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've found that if you mix epsom salts in yer G&T's you don't need a stool softener Barry... :shocked:

Dotch that is very good of you to remember how stool softeners can improve ones lifestyle.  We haven't had it in any discussions for quite awhile.  Thank you.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I had the same problem with mine in pots also coop, its like they drain too fast and don't hold the moisture like the ground does.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:doofus: :doofus: :tut: :tut: :crazy: :confused: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :taz: :banghead: :banghead: training-087 training-087 :super smiley: :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks All, knowing I’m not the only one makes me feel better. I’ll just have to keep an eye on them, and hope this heatwave ends soon.
I’m really looking forward to some fresh homegrown tomatoes. One of my cherry tomato plants is a Sun Sugar that I can’t wait to try. Very popular I hear?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our 4 tomatoes are about a foot and a half tall now.  Getting flowers on them.  Look great.  Our 4 peppers look terrible.  I don't think they have grown an inch.  They are in raised beds near each other.  Peppers just haven't worked there.  They do good in our Earth Box type of thing on the deck though.  We will do that next year.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I did container tomatoes a few years ago on the cheap. Plants were free & put them in 5 gallon pails filled with composted manure. Same kind of problem Cooperman had altho I don't recall the variety. When it got hot they needed to be watered every day or they were wilted by afternoon. The pails were well drained and with no clay in the soil, the water holding capacity wasn't the greatest. We've got a potted cherry tomato on the patio in a large pot this year. The thing is getting huge but so far it's hanging in there thru the heat. Gets watered every few days when the Mrs. waters the rest of the pots and planters. Not sure what kind of a soil mix she put in it but guessing there's likely some clay in it.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I did container tomatoes a few years ago on the cheap. Plants were free & put them in 5 gallon pails filled with composted manure. Same kind of problem Cooperman had altho I don't recall the variety. When it got hot they needed to be watered every day or they were wilted by afternoon. The pails were well drained and with no clay in the soil, the water holding capacity wasn't the greatest. We've got a potted cherry tomato on the patio in a large pot this year. The thing is getting huge but so far it's hanging in there thru the heat. Gets watered every few days when the Mrs. waters the rest of the pots and planters. Not sure what kind of a soil mix she put in it but guessing there's likely some clay in it.

Maybe some of the fancy stuff with gel pellets..

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks All, knowing I’m not the only one makes me feel better. I’ll just have to keep an eye on them, and hope this heatwave ends soon.
I’m really looking forward to some fresh homegrown tomatoes. One of my cherry tomato plants is a Sun Sugar that I can’t wait to try. Very popular I hear?
The Sun Sugar is a great cherry tomato. Very sweet little things
 Once they start maturing you should have more than enough.