Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: ice cleats  (Read 7132 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so, since i'm kind of a tight azz, i been seriously thinking of not buying ice cleats. w had some but chucked them years ago.

but the saftey side of me says since i'm going to be at the cabin by myself from sunday till thursday, AND with no snow on the lakes for traction i feel compelled to get a pair.

so how much would it be to get a respectable pair???????? i've googled cleats and there is a wide range and styles, and i aint gonna order online.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
$20-$25 seems like reasonable to me.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
You can call me a tight azz all ya want but these little screws I have work great on the bottom of my boots. Just back em out after I'm home.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen that done Bobber and yup works great!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It don't wreck the boot???

Wadda use 3 inch sheet metal screws?? :scratch: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
short self tapping metal screws work well..

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Anything short with a decent head for gripping

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
being i have been working on the ice for 20 years .the ones i get are 10 dollars. i go through about 3 pairs as  the toe part breaks , but they work great. there just not made for kicking snow banks and using a # 2 shovel.
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
20 years ago wilst fishing glare late ice on url  during the crappie boom,didn't have cleats,busted my ass running around popping holes for the evening run of giant crappies,I watched a guy walking around on the glare ice like it was a concrete driveway,so I slip slided over to his shack,turned out the guy was a mail carrier,he used a product called "isoletes" metal screws screwed in to a heavy rubber sole you velcro on to your boots,never looked back  to this day,zero issues and as stated above easy to replace the screws if they wear out plus (mine never wore out)unlike spike cleats these won't tear up your shack floor.
« Last Edit: December 12/11/20, 07:38:04 AM by snow1 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
since i gotta go to st cloud today, and be in sartell, i/m going to hit up runnings to look for some. iffin they dont have anything that suits my fancy i got all kinds of places to stop and look on my drive threw st cloud.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Why gamble getting the virus shopping in person google is your friend

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: Definitely is mine & I'd bet everybody else here except this 1 guy that can have trouble even turning his laptop on.  :evil: :whistling:                               :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd:                              ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: Definitely is mine & I'd bet everybody else here except this 1 guy that can have trouble even turning his laptop on.  :evil: :whistling:                               :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd:                              ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:tut: :pouty: :tut: :pouty:

hey i wear a mask!!!!!!!!! :nerd: :nerd: i'll just leave it at that!!!! :confused:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Issue solved. Went down to the Kiess shell on hwy 23. They sell alot of bait. Kid works the liquor store on weekends.

Found what I think is a good pair. The not cleats but called Yaktrax chains. Came home and put them on my 2 pair of boots I intend to use. fit like a glove. 22 bucks plus some for gov Tim jung Walz too.

Well worth it if it prevents me from busting my noggin open or breaking bones.

There is currently a thread on IDO regarding ice cleats and these got a respectable review.
« Last Edit: December 12/11/20, 04:05:03 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ooooh IDO this and IDO that and IDO isbthe greatest....blah blah blah. somebody sure likes IDO more dont they!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ooooh IDO this and IDO that and IDO isbthe greatest....blah blah blah. somebody sure likes IDO more dont they!
:confused: :banghead: training-087 :banghead: :pouty: considering the source, I'm not even gonna go there.

Oh and ain't you there?? :pouty:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Those are what the neighbor up north who's on the ice a lot uses, glenn! I just have a cheap pair from HT that I've only used a couple times as they're hard to walk in very much.  :thumbs: :pouty:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well we shall see soon!!!!!!! :happy1: the other ones they had where from like 4.99 t0 8.99 and they looked that cheap too!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
yak trax is a good choice,just beware on concrete as they will slip/slide on ya but they won't tear up your shacks floor and last a few years if not longer.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yak trax is a good choice,just beware on concrete as they will slip/slide on ya but they won't tear up your shacks floor and last a few years if not longer.
not much concrete where i'm headed snow!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
not much concrete where i'm headed snow!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Okay smart guy,just warning you when you step out of your vehicle at home or gas station as us older fellers tend to leave these things on once attached for the day.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Issue solved. Went down to the Kiess shell on hwy 23. They sell alot of bait. Kid works the liquor store on weekends.

Found what I think is a good pair. The not cleats but called Yaktrax chains. Came home and put them on my 2 pair of boots I intend to use. fit like a glove. 22 bucks plus some for gov Tim jung Walz too.

Well worth it if it prevents me from busting my noggin open or breaking bones.

There is currently a thread on IDO regarding ice cleats and these got a respectable review.
Looked at some at FF yday & I see they had a couple different versions. I couldn't really see much differnce other than a few $ in price. Which ones did you get?  :scratch: The sizing wasn't real clear either :doofus:, I'm normally a 10 1/2

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i got the yaktrax. the where 22 bucks down here in town at the shell station where alot of people stop to get bait and fishing tackle. maybe coulda been cheaper in st cloud, but i didnt have to drive there.

the ones i got are not the diamond ones, they simple had chains. as far as size it said size 13. i wear a size 9-9 1/2 shoe bit these fit perfectly on my old sorel boots and my 1200 gram boots i use for hunting.

they worked really well i thought! :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I just drove some screws into my boots I wear only for ice fishing.... I'll give them a shot...
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
we sheet metal screws when we did that, self tapping ones..  it does work great... 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
tight azzes.......... :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :doah: :nerd: :nerd: :happybounce:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
naw, innovative!!   :happy1:

definition of tight azzes: Glenn  :happy1: :happy1:  it's in the dictionary even!! 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yeah, I checked my stock of self tapers but they were to long. I used what I had.
I have cleats, they're just a pain in the ass to take on and off. So, i figured I would try this.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, $22 & $25 is what these were. Didn't notice if the more $ ones had diamonds in 'em. I  thought the XL would fit my Sorels too but figured I check to see what you found. Probably wait 'til I get back up there before looking into it any more. Might not be necessary by the time I get back up, if one can even get out at all. :crazy: