Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: new scopes  (Read 14602 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
ok, so i am getting into seriously thinking about new scope purchases. i WILL be replacing the scope on my 30-06. i'm pretty set on either a vortex diamondback or the crossfire II. or a leapold 3 x 9 x 40. i've been told those scopes are close in quality but vortex right now has the best warrranty in the market right now.

for various reasons i am almost certain i will be purchasing these at the Cabelas in rogers. i have a cabelas gift card and several visa gift cards.

my main concern is a decent scope for my little 22. its a browning lever action. any ideas on what brand, kind i should be looking at.?????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I am happy with my Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II on a Ruger 10/22.  It is a more than adequate for the paper punching I do with it.

I also see that it Nikon seems to have gotten out of the scope business.  I don't remember when this happened.  Does anyone else know what happened here?

Update:  Gun control: Nikon withdrawing from the rifle scope business

All I could find is that they decided to get out of a competitive market in 2019, which is too bad, because I did liked the glass in their scopes (and cameras).  Still it makes me wonder if the real reason was because some muckety-muck decided that guns were evil.
« Last Edit: January 01/05/21, 02:17:24 PM by Steve-o »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I took off a 3x9x50 Nikon pro staff, and replaced it with a vortex 3x12x56 crossfire. I didn't care for the clarity of the Nikon with no eye relief adjustment.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I took off a 3x9x50 Nikon pro staff, and replaced it with a vortex 3x12x56 crossfire. I didn't care for the clarity of the Nikon with no eye relief adjustment.
how do you like that vortex HD?!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I literally just put it on tonight. I like the optics a lot. This weekend will be the sight in, and see how it performs. This on my new ar, and is rated for the gun.... so we'll see.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Good to know.  Like I said, I don't demand too much from that paper punching plinker.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I know *real* riflemen will want to spend as much or more on a scope as they do the rifle, but that long range, last minute of daylight, F-class competition, sub-sub MOA is not what I'm looking for based on how I hunt in MN.

I like to start here.  Field and Steam posts an updated article on "best scopes" every few years.  I reckon they are as objective as you can be and it is good to read about which high end features are now being offered at lower prices.

Field and Stream:  10 Best Budget Riflescopes

P.S.  Outdoor Life recently had some articles too...

The 13 Best New Precision Riflescopes Put to the Test
The 17 Best New Versatile Riflescopes Put to the Test
« Last Edit: January 01/06/21, 11:53:49 AM by Steve-o »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks steveo, i'm in the budget category. leaning towards the leapolds at the moment. will decide when i get there, i think.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
You can't go wrong with a Leopold, but it is a very competitive market and it is fun to see what else is out there. 

I got my Leopold VariX II 2.5x7 umpteen years ago (40?).  The tech has improved dramatically, but that scope still aims straighter than I shoot.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i just put a vortex on my 06 and love. cant go wrong!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
oh and gleen....deer season is over....just saying
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: for you maybe!!!!!!!1 :mooning: :mooning:

i like to be prepared........ summers can be hectic.........and i want to to bling some lead threw it!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

i'll definetly be looking at the vortex!!
« Last Edit: January 01/06/21, 12:19:10 PM by glenn57 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I recently got some Vortex binocs.  LOVE THEM!!   And Made in USA!   

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

i like to be prepared........ summers can be hectic.........and i want to to bling some lead threw it!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Just getting ready for the revolution are you.  :doofus:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm ready!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Just getting ready for the revolution are you.  :doofus:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea maybe!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :evil:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm ready!
:happy1: :happy1:purty nice setup bud!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks great HD!!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
WOW!! That looks sweet HD. Where did you get the wood accessories?
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
WOW!! That looks sweet HD. Where did you get the wood accessories?

Boyd's Gunstocks

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So next week, after Valentine's, I'm headed towards the big city. Plan is to hit cabela's for my new scopes. My question is what is Cabela's store policy, if anyone knows, about bringing guns into the store?? I already know cased and not loaded. Do I need to check them in at the service counter or can I just Walz back to the gun/ scope dept.??

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I see what you did there.   :bonk:

I can't help you with Cabela's, but when you go down to Ahlman's Gun Shop in Morristown, MN, they have big signs as you walk up the stairs telling you all guns should be uncased with the actions open when you walk in.

Its kinda weird the first time - when you are so used to keeping everything cased everywhere - to pull 'em out and open 'em up.

I asked them why they did things their way.  They said they want to see your gun is unloaded when you walk in the door, not when the pull it out of the case on the bench.  They said way to many loaded guns made it into the store when the guns were cased with closed actions.

(Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Ahlman's method would be appropriate for Cabelas.)
« Last Edit: February 02/08/21, 04:16:20 PM by Steve-o »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cabela's -Best option is to have it in the case and come to the front door. Let the first person you see know that you have one to take to the gun counter. They will direct you where to go.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks guys......thinking the same deadeye.......go straight to the service counter. :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I can't help you with Cabela's, but when you go down to Ahlman's Gun Shop in Morristown, MN, they have big signs as you walk up the stairs telling you all guns should be uncased with the actions open when you walk in.

Its kinda weird the first time - when you are so used to keeping everything cased everywhere - to pull 'em out and open 'em up.
i plead the 5th.  :tut: :tut: :tut: this has been in the plan sice the end of deer hunting  :happy1: merely a timing issue!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

i plead the 5th.  :tut: :tut: :tut: this has been in the plan sice the end of deer hunting  :happy1: merely a timing issue!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Walz right in... waltz right out.  :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I had one of their "gunsmiths" look at one of my guns, I checked it in at the service counter before walking back to the gun section.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I had one of their "gunsmiths" look at one of my guns, I checked it in at the service counter before walking back to the gun section.
:happy1: thanks.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

BUT.......The "gunsmith" didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground... they told me that I had a gun that had 2 different models put into one, and couldn't be fixed....

Just be careful my friend....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

BUT.......The "gunsmith" didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground... they told me that I had a gun that had 2 different models put into one, and couldn't be fixed....

Just be careful my friend....
:happy1: just wanna get a couple scopes and get them bore sited. I'll fling lead through them to site in also.... Is I can find bullets. :confused: