Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: fish limit reductions/ 2 lines  (Read 8061 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so these subjects are being brought up in the news lately, i havent seen it talked about here so i figured i'd throw it out.
limit reductions.....nit sure how i feel. mainly because every lake is different. some lakes need it , some dont. there is also talk of slot limits for panfish. ok my take same thing, what lake.

2 lines.......quess i dont have a real strong opinion other then if its ever allowed i wont pay extra for that opportunity. sometimes 1 line is to many!!!! :rotflmao: only way i'd use a second line is since i generally target sunfish would be to throw out a line with a big minnow on to chase a pike!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Different regs for different lakes seems like the way it is going to be.  I am all in on 2 lines.  Year round.  I could care less if it costs me $10-20.  Cheap entertainment and I want to catch some fish so it may help.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, 1 size don't fit all so I'm in favor of different regs for different lakes. As far as 2 lines I probably wouldn't pay for it but I get to go  :fishing: a lot, 3-6 hours a day/ 5-6 days a week from May - Oct, more than most. :happy1: :cool:  Besides I catch so many :fish2: ;)  :rolleyes: :laugh:  :laugh: that there's usually a few meals in our freezer. The 2 lines reg is by far the biggest violation that I see on our lake, mainly resort guests, though so I could see 'em changing that for a fee.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i my self would like to see LOW close march 15 for walley and pike remain open till april 1st
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Not me. Late ice is my favorite time to fish.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
mine to, butbice fish has exploded. and LOW IS HURTN' bag reduction aint gona fix it. i dont know the annswer but something has to change.
78.50"

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Heck glenn wisc let's folks use 3 lines open water,montana 5 lines last time I was on fort peck icefishing,couple of us guyz had a nice trap line laid out for big walleyes,seen one farm boy pull up a 16lb'er one afternoon,heck of a  walleye fishery.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
mine to, butbice fish has exploded. and LOW IS HURTN' bag reduction aint gona fix it. i dont know the annswer but something has to change.
I hear ya. I don't know where to start either. I wish the state would limit how far out on the lake the resorts plow roads. That would at least give the fish areas to get away from the crowds. Because when it is crowded the fish do move away from the crowd. Plowing roads from pine to garden and then west from there does not help. I also think it might push the fish off into the canadian side. Going that far north used to be more of an adventure in a bomber. Not anymore. Just my 2 pennies.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ya, place to hide or time to rest. maybe spit seasons. but resort money is huge factor in all this
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That's for sure. It is amazing that this is harder on the lake then when they commercially netted it.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so boar...........and i am asking this seriously to you because you fish both red and LOTW. you think LOTW gets hit harder then red???????

mever fished LOTW's........yet its a bucket list thing!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Good question. I think on normal years red gets hot harder early then after inland closes lots gets hot harder. Be interesting to see what Boar thinks.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Good question. I think on normal years red gets hot harder early then after inland closes lots gets hot harder. Be interesting to see what Boar thinks.
that was my thinking too!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I think that there should be regulations per lake, not just a blanket restriction. Many lake can take the pressure, and some cannot.

The only time I would like a second line is when I troll for pike or trout by myself. But, that's about it.

Heck, ice fishing, I only use one line.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
boy i really dont know... red gets hit so harx early on and drives a tough bite the rest of thw season frm mid jan to season end. almost have to land on em or search.  LOW GETS HIT HARDER I THINK  bexause of another month and half of fishing presure. LOW HAS MORe room and places to hit. its a very good question. i. sure the dnr has stats on fiahing oressure. and hiurs fished. i lean towards LOW.
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I think Boar is right on there. I think mother nature is going to shorten the ice season dramatically this winter. That will be a good thing. :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It's been a couple years now but 1 year I did see the DNR's seasonal #'s for URL that are used to adjust the slot for the hardwater season. From what I rememder of that is it was close to double the # of angling hours, with ~ 3 X the lbs of fish taken in a season that's 1/2  as long as open water back then. Some kinda  :crazy: #'s there.
« Last Edit: January 01/08/21, 10:59:55 AM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I think Boar is right on there. I think mother nature is going to shorten the ice season dramatically this winter. That will be a good thing. :happy1: :happy1:
one would think that last years snowmaggeden in dec put a damper on red to. but i know that made lakes like mille lacs and LOTW's really hard hit. with the  :bs: of mille lacs i dont ever see myself going there again!!! :confused: 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That is what caused LOTW to get hammered last winter. Everyone came here instead. I heard the DNR estimated like 70k-80k fish houses on LOTW last winter.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yupbfunny how things turn. red got a break las year. hard to fund those 2 under 17 this year. Last yeat LOW GOT hammerd. cause it was the only place to fush. now red is getting hammerd. and LOW is catching a break in alot of areas cause of thin ice and breakers. i still feel shorting the season a litt on bot thend would help the LOW fisherie alot.move opener back a week. and move close ahead 2. compleatly close the rainy. no need to harrass thos big females.  but resorts stomp their feet
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I could go with that even as much as I like to fish late ice. Close it the end of march and heck I would even say have it reopen memorial weekend. I agree a hundo % on the rainy.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
That is what caused LOTW to get hammered last winter. Everyone came here instead. I heard the DNR estimated like 70k-80k fish houses on LOTW last winter.
Those are some huge #'s JB!! :thumbs: :pouty: They'll change the date of the :deer: opener about the same time they change the :fishing: opener IMO. :crazy: Never!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We used to get to ice fish till March 15 I think it was.  Now I don't think we can fish after Feb. 28 with the new Rainy Regs last year.  It is fine with me.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought just the limits changed around then. But don't quote me on that. Otherwise people wouldn't be able to boat fish it either if it was closed.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll have to relook at that.  Remember that now we can't keep males in the spring cuz they thought they were getting depleted?  Like I said I need to do some research.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Gunner.  That is what they changed.  Now it is catch and release only on the Rainy River starting March 1 till end of season.  I think this is the second year of the new rules. 

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.

Institute a minimum size of 13" state wide and enforce it.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
what i read was rainy is closed on feb 28 2021
78.50"