Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2021 gardens  (Read 104726 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :happy1: :happy1: purty nice setup LPS!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: keep it up....you'll be just like dotch some day!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
He'll need some sheep to eat his eff ups!  :bonk:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Found this guy on the wall yesterday morning. I'd seen them before but never took the time to figure out what it was. Sent a pic to the Boy Entomologist and he identified it as a bat tick. We used to have a lot of bats that lived in our house but with the recent white-nose syndrome or other factors, they've been on the decline. I saw none last year at the ranch. These ticks are probably residents too. Found it interesting that they can live for years without a host. It may be why I saw this one. He looked hungry so I mailed some off to glenn... :Mail:

https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/bat-tick

« Last Edit: June 06/04/21, 02:00:57 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
interesting, and never heard of them before....
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
OK garden experts......watering question. i need to water the garden and flowers. when is the best time to water???????

i've often read in the morning is the best, so the sun can evaporate or dry off any excess???????

i tend to disagree, with this heat i prefer to water in the evening when the garden and most areas are shaded and when the sun goes down the water/moisture hangs around longer..........especially in this heat.

with that being said i dont use a sprinkler, i hand water everything either with a watering can or a hose with a nossle of some sort as i feel a sprinkler wastes to much water.

so what do you fellers think??????????/

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I watered last night too.  Things are still moist.  I think I will water again this evening.  I wondered what was the right way to do it also.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I water in the evening, and I don't use a sprinkler either. I have one of those hand held sprayers attached to the hose.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I like a soaker hose. I don't like to wer the foliage.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I like a soaker hose. I don't like to wer the foliage.
I tried them at one time and didn't care for the results. :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: https://www.epicgardening.com/best-time-to-water-garden/#:~:text=When%20is%20the%20Best%20Time%20to%20Water%20Your,Avoid%20over-water
I googled it after I posted it. Seen that article gunner too

I got the general conclusion it's best in the morning, alit of gardeners say evening is good to just don't do it after dark

With the temps as they are the next few days vimay water both in the morning and in the evening.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
yeah, I don't have the option of watering in the morning....so, it's evening or nothing.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The air is sure dry again today. Glenn, what don't you like about a good soaker?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The air is sure dry again today. Glenn, what don't you like about a good soaker?
maybe I didn't have quality soakers, but I didn't think they dispensed much water?? :scratch: do how long do you let them run??

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
 :confused:Maybe an hour or so on a row. The idea is to get the soil good and wet so you don't have to water so often.
« Last Edit: June 06/04/21, 05:29:56 PM by roony »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
More to the roots too, so less worry ~ disease IMO. My boss from the golf course days always said temp + humidity = 150 or > keep an eye out for anything lookin different as that is prime time for some of the bent grass diseases we dealt with. The watering cycle would usually get changed a little, either a little earlier &/or a little less water at those times. Especially on the tees & greens that didn't get a lot of sun or wind.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cool idea there LPS. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm an Afternoon waterer also, I've read the "water the base of plants" also but right know there still pretty small so the sprinklers get the nod. Another question is fertilizing,  after it was tilled and fertilized when should reapply??

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm an Afternoon waterer also, I've read the "water the base of plants" also but right know there still pretty small so the sprinklers get the nod. Another question is fertilizing,  after it was tilled and fertilized when should reapply??
i'm no expert but to me alot depends on what your gonna use???

first off i would wait till maybe first part of july, and either wait till right before a rain or water good right after. i've been told if you use anything with nitrogen in it if it doenst rain of get it into the ground you lose alot of the nitrogen value, also some of that stuff can burn the leaves on the plant. i like to use the miloganite stuff......doesnt burn the leaves.

you could use something like the chicken poo i used, got it at menards.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just got back from my moms to water her garden plants........... :doah: :confused: :surrender: looked pretty sad and i doubt a few will make it.  :pouty:

i dont understand that woman  :scratch: :doah: she'll spend a 100 bucks a week on football pools but wont give the city and extra 50-60 bucks a year on her water bill to keep her garden up?? why bother??? all she's gotta do is call or email me and i'll go and water!!!!!! its not like she uses alot of water....she is in wisconsin alot anyway.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked some asparagus this morning, it's still going strong but a little rain wouldn't hurt. I gave my newly transplanted tomatoes and peppers a drink.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so when i plant my tomatoes, peppers and celery after i get them from the greenhouse i put coffee cans around then until they get bigger. it also helps with watering them.

the tomatoes really shot up, and the celery is doing pretty good to. along with the heat i removed those cans last nite because i was i bit concerned about those cans and the heat combo would burn the plants.  for now i left the cans on my peppers......

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Finally got a chance to get back at gardening. Planted all the cannas & put the cages on the maters. Also got the 4 o'clocks seeded. All the transplants are coming along nicely. The Mrs. gave them some water last nite but the maters in particular came through yesterday better than they did the day before. 

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
so when i plant my tomatoes, peppers and celery after i get them from the greenhouse i put coffee cans around then until they get bigger. it also helps with watering them.

the tomatoes really shot up, and the celery is doing pretty good to. along with the heat i removed those cans last nite because i was i bit concerned about those cans and the heat combo would burn the plants.  for now i left the cans on my peppers......

I planted the melons transplants this morning. Also the second batch of corn....American Dream.

Glen....I put coffee cans around all my Peppers, Romaine, Basil, Parsley, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kohlrabi, Pak Choi, and Cauliflower. I leave them on until the plants are getting to big. Big reason is protection from the wind. You don't have to take them off because it's hot.

I don't put them around the tomatoes. They are planted laying down on their side with stem buried up to the top leaves. A can would cut through the stem.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a lot of cans Ken.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll try and remember that Ken.  :happy1: some of the tomato plants where getting up there and in leaving tomorrow. Didnt want to have issues when I got back

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah they have been saved for years before everyone bought the Kuerigs. I was a teacher and took home empty cans from the lounge. So I have a lot of them. I can also cut the bottoms out of ice cream pails and use them any problems like frost and I can just put the covers on overnight.

Glenn.....you should plant your tomatoes laying down. I learned that many years ago. I'll take a pic of them. I use this method. Great tip about laying them on their side a day or 2 to let them turn up.

I broke a few off before I now do this. I pick off all the leaves up to the top. Tomatoes are the only plant I know that grows roots out of the buried stem. So I wind up with a big root ball.

Also if you plant them vertical, the ground is cold deeper. This way they are near the surface where it is warm. You do have to mulch them when they start to get tomatoes to keep the moisture level constant.

So if I go to a greenhouse, I get the tallest leggyist plants they have. I don't now because none of my tomatoes are hybrids. So I save my own seed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDA4FuOosXw
« Last Edit: June 06/07/21, 10:18:37 PM by KEN W »

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Tomatoes and peppers are doing good. My maters will be getting their second tie=offs to the trellis tomorrow. We've got maters and peppers on the vines all ready. None of our garden seeds are doing any good, and the damned squirrels ate every sunflower seed we planted. Lesson learned- start all the seed crops early in the house. Second lesson learned-either shoot way more squirrels with the pe;;et gun, or tell the deer if they want any sunflowers, they'd best start runnoing off these damned rodents.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I sympathize..... I shoot bunnies year round. And still fence in somethings. Or spray with repellant.