Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: maintence free deck  (Read 4352 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so downstairs looking out the window i see the underside of my deck. its a good 10 plus years old. the wood supporting it is treated lumber.

question........should i treat that treated lumder with something....... :scratch: :scratch: thompsons water sealant  :scratch: something else???
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Pull the shade on the window and those goofy thoughts will go away.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I use a sprayer every couple years of this clear on mine (deer stands too) just to make sure it doesn't rot.

Cheap insurance....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I will have to use a brush cause all my wood is underneath.

Where do you get that HD? I don't recognize that brand? :scratch:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
You can get it at Lowe's or Menards.
The hand sprayers are cheap, and you can buy them at either store too. And yes, you can spray underneath the deck.

Just wear one of Dotch's masks while applying and yur good to go....  :nerd:

If you want to do it with a brush... Go ahead  :crazy:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
question........should i treat that treated lumder with something....... :scratch: :scratch: thompsons water sealant  :scratch: something else???

I used Thompson’s once many years ago and had very poor results. I’ve had the best luck with Sikkens.

Offline MN RACK ATTACK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It wouldn’t hurt to use something but not Thompson

Had a contractor tell me it’s just a watered down retail product.
The Sikkens stuff is good.

2020 Big Buck Slayer

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We had an enclosed wooden porch on the old cabin & all we used was Thompson's on that. It was on the lakeside (west)so it caught a lot of wind & sun so it needed doing again every 2-3 years or so. That was 30+ years ago though & Thompson's was about all we could find back then.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds to me like anything but Thompson. Msn years ago I thought that was the go to stuff. :confused:

Thanks guys. Little cold today though to do it. :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I concure with HD (sprayer) cheap 1 gallon bottle sprayer is the way to go,worked at my place last summer,started out with a brush/roller ugh,then the light came on my little weed sprayer called my name worked out great.Didn't use thompson deck sealer either, neighbor does residential painting so used his recommendation on what sealer to use,glad I have a small deck as the stuff I used was $35/gal. :doah:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Did you guys go through the cleaning it up process with that deck cleaner or just let er rip and spray the stuff on? 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I got after cleaning my deck with my power washer no soap just high pressure washing,then let the deck dry out for a couple days,well maybe a week.every few years.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have one of those cheapy electric pressure washers.  May have to see if it works on it. 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS it don't take much psi to clean the deck up but you live off the lake don't ya? might need to apply a mildew cleaner to dry it up?