Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: oil question  (Read 7781 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i use all synthetic oil in everything. i picked up 8 qts of ATV oil today for the wheelers up north. between the oil and filters it was 95 bucks, and that was for 3 wheelers.

SO........... is there really a difference in oil makeup from vehicles to ATV'S???? :scratch: other then like 3 bucks a qt??????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have never ran "ATV" oil in our wheelers, never had a problem. I even have a Yamaha big bear that's got "vintage" stickers on it that I'm still running!

Overpriced  :bs: if you ask me....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
No Not an Oil post!  :doah:   :rotflmao:
None but the name and the price. You just need to compare the ratings of each to what the Mfg suggests.  :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I have never ran "ATV" oil in our wheelers, never had a problem. I even have a Yamaha big bear that's got "vintage" stickers on it that I'm still running!

Overpriced  :bs: if you ask me....
kinda thought that...well next time!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
None but the name and the price. You just need to compare the ratings of each to what the Mfg suggests.  :happy1:
hey.......... :tut: :tut: aint you caused enough trouble in a photography thread!!!!!!! :doah: :evil: :tut: :tut: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been using the 0-40 synthetic.  I wonder if it's worth it. 

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
hey.......... :tut: :tut: aint you caused enough trouble in a photography thread!!!!!!! :doah: :evil: :tut: :tut: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Me bad person.  :pouty: Plus that don't count over here!    :sleazy:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Me bad person.  :pouty: Plus that don't count over here!    :sleazy:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We use synthetic ATV in ours, usually L & M's. :scratch: A couple $ more a qt is all.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We use synthetic ATV in ours, usually L & M's. :scratch: A couple $ more a qt is all.
when your doing 4 it adds up. :confused:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Normally get ours on sale too so probably more like $1/qt, $5 or so a qt.
« Last Edit: March 03/23/21, 06:08:55 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
when your doing 4 it adds up. :confused:
:scratch: You can ride 4 of 'em at once? :doofus:       ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: Yeah, it's just 1 for the 2 of us, you must all have 1 of your own. :confused: No wonder you needed that new shed.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea, and no. we managed to store them.  :rotflmao: but that shed sure is nice......now i can leave my boat up there under a shelter.  :nerd:

actually the can am is mine. the yamaha i brought over to bowstring was the new one mom bought 2 years ago to replace dad's original wheeler he bought, that one was getting pretty bad but my brother decided to fix it up, so he brought it over to that Dirks place by the sand lake cemetry. the other one dad bought for mom to ride.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so after thinking this over and as someone who likes several opinions i think i'll stick with the ATV oil. its not like it needs to get changed every year, especially running synthetic.

over on IDO there's a guy by the handle iowaboy1. he's a big time wrenchhead on alot of stuff but particularly outboards and the like, he even works on small aircraft. i've read his posts for many years, he"s also got a whole lot of praise for his mechanic knowledge. he says yes there is a difference in the oils. claims the ATV's run at differnet temps and the metal used in ATV's i comprised differently then vehicle engines and the ATV oils are manufactured to meet wheeler specs!!!!!!!

guess i'd really hate to go on the cheap and end up ruining a wheeler engine.

HD what oil do you use???????

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Well glenn this guy makes sense kind of as our atv engine blocks are aluminum and so are our newer vehicle engine blocks,I can relate to engine temps differ,just to be safe for my 2019 susuki I ordered oil from my dealer,he sent me honda 5/20 semi synthetic he claims atv oils are all the same not to worry,my oil change package price was $30 including the filter,I would rather have 10/40 muliti grade but I don't trail ride 5/20 makes for easy starts on a sub zero night out on the lake.,your pricing seems on par,your good to go

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I looked at L & M today, glenn, & all their ATV oil was in 1 place. It was an endcap & everything was full synthetic, not even any synthetic blend in with it. Looked like 4-5 different brands with 2 maybe 3 different weights. Anywhere from $6.29-$8.99/qt there. Had their annual bucket sale though where you buy the bucket & everything you can get in it is 15% off, busy too.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I looked at L & M today, glenn, & all their ATV oil was in 1 place. It was an endcap & everything was full synthetic, not even any synthetic blend in with it. Looked like 4-5 different brands with 2 maybe 3 different weights. Anywhere from $6.29-$8.99/qt there. Had their annual bucket sale though where you buy the bucket & everything you can get in it is 15% off, busy too.
:happy1: :happy1: I had picked it up at FF. Thanks. Next time you go check on 30-06  shells. :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I don't know ;), I'm kind of friends with the old boy that is usually the lead in the fishing & hunting dept & I'm not sure he needs to know you!! :doah: :confused:           :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: He lives on 6 just north of DR & has a place over on Bowstring @ Northern Acres.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: I don't know ;), I'm kind of friends with the old boy that is usually the lead in the fishing & hunting dept & I'm not sure he needs to know you!! :doah: :confused:           :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: He lives on 6 just north of DR & has a place over on Bowstring @ Northern Acres.
well, hell then you should get me an employee discount and he can set them aside. :smoking: :sleazy: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: So what you wanna do, get him fired? :tut: :mooning: :pouty:                   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: So what you wanna do, get him fired? :tut: :mooning: :pouty:                 
naw just get some shells to site in my new scope!!👍👍

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: What's the hurry? :pouty: You've got until November!!  :doah:                   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: What's the hurry? :pouty: You've got until November!!  :doah:                 
:tut: :tut: not one to wait till the last minute. :tut: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  How bad do you want some?  :rolleyes: That gun shop on Hwy 2 that you like so well might have some.  :scratch:  :confused: Probably only $50-$75 a box too since nobody else has any. :crazy: Bet Google has some too but you probably don't really want any that bad either.  :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  How bad do you want some?  :rolleyes: That gun shop on Hwy 2 that you like so well might have some.  :scratch:  :confused: Probably only $50-$75 a box too since nobody else has any. :crazy: Bet Google has some too but you probably don't really want any that bad either.  :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea.....no and no!!!!!!!!!1 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 SO  :tut:  :violin: :violin: :violin: :cry: :cry: :cry:  P L E A S E!!!!                    ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
SO  :tut:  :violin: :violin: :violin: :cry: :cry: :cry:  P L E A S E!!!!                    ;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: :tut: not a chance!!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
holy sheep shait......sorry dotch!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

i actually just googled 30-06 shells.........there friggin nutz what they want for them.  :tut: and 99% of them listed not available. SO......... i just decided i'm done looking for them until this madness goes away. i use the 180 grains to site in my guns. i think i have 4 156 grains left.....i'll use them up, then to fine tune it i'll use my 220 grains. i usually only use them for actual hunting......but i gots me plenty of them.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :applause: 'Bout time you catch on!! :pouty:      So..................... :scratch: what's next!!  :violin: :violin: :violin: :cry: :cry: :cry:                     :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :mooning: :mooning: give me a bit, I'll think of something.  :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: