Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: boat rope question  (Read 5546 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
anyone got any advice on what would be a good rope for replacing the rope on the crank on the trailer rope????? my stepdad bought a boat and is leaving it up at the cabin to use. its a bunk trailer.......gawd i hate them things,  :confused: its a 14ft boat a bit heavy with a new 15 horse welfare motor  :rotflmao:, mercury. i'll admit its a really nice outboard!!!!!  :happy1:

the rope that is currently on that is off the top of my head one of them standard maybe 3/8 round ropes.???? anyway its not bad loading it when the landing is deeper where you can float most of the boat on the trailer, but on the shallower landings its a pain and that rope has snapped 3 times on me.

anyone with suggestions????/
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
3/8 is pretty nice rope on a boat.  Maybe new stuff will be stronger.  Or a cable.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
3/8 is pretty nice rope on a boat.  Maybe new stuff will be stronger.  Or a cable.
i should of measured it when i was up there,  :scratch: :doah: never thought of it. i kinda cringe at the idea of cable  :scratch: broken strands usually ends up with cut and bloody fingers!!!

was thinking, depending on how wide the gizmo is it gets wrapped up on, maybe a nylon strap like on some bigger boats.. i'll have to measure it first.  i figured i best as permission first, not my boat. i also got permission to put in my locator.  :happy1: :happy1:

i entered serious negotiations with my wife about getting a new, different locator for my boat, and i succeeded!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: i want one of them hummingbirds, think its a helix 5, that is lake chip capabile!!!! i used my buddy's last year and fell in love!!!!! :bow:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We have had straps on ours for a long time, much stronger. L & M has 'em the right width in different lengths for around $20. I actually have 2 old boat trailer winches with straps bolted to short posts that slide in the posts for the axle to our roll in dock to help raise & lower it. Loosen the bolts & I can raise & lower it while I'm standin on it.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup pretty hard to beat a strap. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just looked, glenn, & L & M has 20' of 3/8" winch rope rated for 1200#'s for $7.99. The also have an aftermarket 2" strap that's 20' long that's rated for 2600#'s for $15.50.  :scratch: A no brainer for me.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: thanks Gunner.  :happy1: I don't get to rapids much anymore but if I should.... Maybe I can get the union to by lunch for me again.  :sleazy: :sleazy:

I'll need to get up there and measure things up before I buy, not a fan of buying and having to return it because it's not right  :confused:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: :doah: Almost all boat trailers & winches are pretty standard so they can be used for different rigs so both will work unless it's a cheap homemade job. Did you make it? :evil:   :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: Brother buys extra stuff he probably isn't going to need at L & M just because they're so good about returns. Never a question, even if we buy it in the fall & don't return it 'til Spring. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: :doah: Almost all boat trailers & winches are pretty standard so they can be used for different rigs so both will work unless it's a cheap homemade job. Did you make it? :evil:   :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: Brother buys extra stuff he probably isn't going to need at L & M just because they're so good about returns. Never a question, even if we buy it in the fall & don't return it 'til Spring.
  :pouty: :pouty: :doah: :pouty: no i didnt make it, but with my union ingenuity i can!!!!!!!!! :mooning: :sleazy: :rotflmao: he bought the boat used.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Well yeah then, it might not be on the original trailer.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Get the winch strap and skip the rope. You will thank yourself.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Get the winch strap and skip the rope. You will thank yourself.
pretty much thinking thats the route i'm going!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup, I don't have any ropes or cables anymore. Just straps.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ropes are 4 anchors
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ropes are 4 anchors
not my boat and it's what it came with. I have permission to do whatever I see fit however. :happy1:

Maybe should get a much larger landing net too  :pouty:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :huh:           :scratch: Why?  :doah:                        ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:huh:           :scratch: Why?  :doah:                        ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
:rolleyes: :evil: for ALL the BIG fish i catch!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Come on glenn,get with the program,bunk trailer's are for driving your boat up on the trailer,good grief sunshine,why bust your ass trying to winch your little boat up on a bunk trailer?,just trim the motor up a tad if at all and let-r buck all the way up to the cradle,with the bunk she'll stay right there till you hook the saftey chain up.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
If it is too hard to winch it on you haven't backed in far enough. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
See a lot of 'em over at the resort used that way. :crazy: :pouty: A lot of those heavy glass boats with the $50-60K price tags over there at times. I imagine there's a pretty nice washout hole on the bottom of that ramp. Good way to bust an axle on the trailer if your not paying attention. An aluminum, Crestliner, & a roller trailer here.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
snow...........this is a small 14 ft boat with a heavy 15 horse motor. there is no trim other then my back. i am also not a big fan of power loading....especially after on of my really young grandkids stepped in that hole once. good think i was close and he had a life jacket on.

LPS.......i beginning to figure that out. some of the accesses i have had it in to alsmost i was stepping into the lake getting out of the truck.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
If it is too hard to winch it on you haven't backed in far enough. 
Sis & BIL have a 30 year old heavy glass boat with a roller trailer & it's a beast to load. Our access can get rough if the wind is from the wrong direction, SE or NW, & we'll back that in a bit more after we start loading it. Sometimes even a couple times.
« Last Edit: May 05/05/21, 05:20:23 PM by Gunner55 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Once you figure out where the tires on the trailer have to be to load the boat easily remember that position.  The next time back in further and then pull back out to your wheel location that works best.  Now the bunks are wet so your boat will go on easier.  Some guys actually spray the carpet on the bunks with silicone spray a couple of times a year.  They fish a lot.  I've never done that. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Once you figure out where the tires on the trailer have to be to load the boat easily remember that position.  The next time back in further and then pull back out to your wheel location that works best.  Now the bunks are wet so your boat will go on easier.  Some guys actually spray the carpet on the bunks with silicone spray a couple of times a year.  They fish a lot.  I've never done that.
Glenn won't do that!!  might have to buy the silicone spray!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Just get a strap and be done with it already.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Have always had aluminum boats & trailers with bogey wheel type rollers. Even then there's a sweet spot for how deep the trailer should be so it loads best. Usually we shoot for the trailer tires to be in over the axle, ~ 2/3 covered is what works for us. I agree with glenn  :shocked: :doah: on bunk trailers.  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: May 05/06/21, 07:59:13 AM by Gunner55 »