Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 gardens  (Read 50797 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
That's calcium.
thats the claim, the calcium is supposedly to prevent the blossom end rot??????????? i mean how much can a jug of tums be>>>>>
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
That's calcium.
thats the claim, the calcium is supposedly to prevent the blossom end rot??????????? i mean how much can a jug of tums be>>>>>

An excerpt from a comprehensive article:  7 Tips to Stop Blossom End Rot and Save the Harvest/

6. Add calcium to your soil.

I work in crushed eggshells at planting time. If you don't have eggshells, try a few cheap calcium antacid tablets.

A handful of garden lime or gypsum also works. Spread a sprinkling of lime onto the soil surface, work in gently, cover with mulch, and water well.

There are also rot stop sprays that can be applied to the tomato foliage.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That's calcium.

An excerpt from a comprehensive article:  7 Tips to Stop Blossom End Rot and Save the Harvest/

6. Add calcium to your soil.

I work in crushed eggshells at planting time. If you don't have eggshells, try a few cheap calcium antacid tablets.

A handful of garden lime or gypsum also works. Spread a sprinkling of lime onto the soil surface, work in gently, cover with mulch, and water well.

There are also rot stop sprays that can be applied to the tomato foliage.

you DA-MAN Steve-o!!!!!!!! :happybounce: :happybounce: :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The primary cause of blossom end rot is uneven watering. Mulch helps keep the soil st a more consistent moisture level.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The primary cause of blossom end rot is uneven watering. Mulch helps keep the soil st a more consistent moisture level.
i dont disagree Roony.....but how da heck you gauge that?????? curious minds wanna know????????

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
i dont disagree Roony.....but how da heck you gauge that?????? curious minds wanna know????????
Experience  :mooning:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

you hang around dotch way to much!!!!!!11 :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: :tut: :tut: That box of stuff keeps getting fuller and fuller. I'll have to use ratchet straps on it to seal it shut!  :evil:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: :tut: :tut: That box of stuff keeps getting fuller and fuller. I'll have to use ratchet straps on it to seal it shut!  :evil:
:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Double mummy's!!👍

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."

Experience.....:happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

I always put straw mulch around both tomatoes and pepper plants when fruit starts to show up. Top dress, then straw. try for 1 inch per week. Not always possible but dry in July and August makes it easier to do that with a rain guage.
« Last Edit: May 05/06/22, 07:38:49 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
If I remember correctly, the world famous Dotch said you need to watch if the straw has been sprayed with chemicals too???

After what I've been dealing with, I'm trying this year going with nekked ground and see where it takes me.  If I could find virgin straw I'll try it next year.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
 Blossom end rot is known to be caused by a calcium deficiency. And that’s why Tums pills are supposed to come to the rescue, as they are mostly composed of calcium carbonate. Calcium, in other words, and in a highly soluble form to boot. That should solve the problem, shouldn’t it?

But that’s misunderstanding the situation. Blossom end rot is rarely caused by a lack of calcium in the soil, but rather by a lack of calcium in the plant. Calcium is abundant and available in almost all soils, even in artificial soils or poor quality ones. In fact, it’s one of the most abundant elements in soils all over the world. Almost any soil contains more than enough calcium to satisfy a tomato plant. And essentially all fertilizers also contain calcium as well. As a result, the average tomato plant has an abundance of calcium in the soil in which it grows: you don’t need to add more.

In fact, blossom end rot is really due to the inability of the plant to absorb the calcium present in the soil. And this is related to moisture stress and uneven watering. If the plant lacks water during the critical period of fruit formation, the roots can’t absorb all the minerals that are available and therefore what little sap now reaches the fruit will be carrying less calcium than it should. Since the fruit isn’t getting sap of the quality it requires, a calcium deficiency occurs … and blossom end rot sets in.

So don't waste the tums.....won't do any good. :thumbs:
« Last Edit: May 05/06/22, 07:46:58 PM by KEN W »

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I have never in 40 years of gardening had a problem with straw having chemicals.

Planted shell peas, snap peas, lettuce, and bok choi today.
« Last Edit: May 05/06/22, 07:49:50 PM by KEN W »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You're lucky Ken. If the small grain was sprayed with products such as Curtail, Curtail M or Stinger there's a potential problem. Using straw from fields where clopyralid containing products mentioned above have been applied is playing Russian roulette. Had some people find out the hard way with straw bale gardening a few years back. Also, goes right on thru livestock in the urine or feces if clopyralid or it's newer cousin aminopyralid have been sprayed on pasture. Accumulates in the bedding. Kills soybeans deader than a doornail. Killed a patch of my neighbor's beans a couple years ago. Had several other cases too. Another little gem we've run across is folks discovered Curtail works great on lawns for dandelion control. Then they decided to use the grass clippings for mulch around their tomatoes. Bad idea. Maters messed up beyond repair.  :sad:

Under avoiding Injury to non-target plants:

https://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld11C004.pdf
« Last Edit: May 05/06/22, 09:24:10 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Well...never been a problem. As for mulch it is still the best to keep soil moisture constant. What else is there? I guess pine or cypress wood chips would work. But have to be removed before tilling since they don't break down over winter.

I have also tilled all my grass clippings into my garden for many years with no problems. Guess there is always a first time.
« Last Edit: May 05/06/22, 09:48:09 PM by KEN W »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Has anyone meandered through FF garden center recently??? I'm hearing there not all that stocked up on garden plants. I need tomatoes, celery, green and jalepeno peppers .

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
check the big M too, Alex has their's open but didn't go into it yet...     or dive to Clarisa and go to the amish!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Prolly head to Owatonna FF sometime tomorrow for Momma's Day to see what they have. Not optimistic. I know the Mrs. & Auntie Mar Mar have a trip planned to the Amish in IA next week. Maybe they'll see Gunner!  :scratch:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I went thru home dumps veggies yesterday,  they had lots of everything except for squash and cukes..

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
One step closer to seeds. Friggin wind is howling so need to wait. Maybe later tonight.

Think I'll check out da garden center at FF.

I fire is out of the question today! :confused: :doah:
« Last Edit: May 05/07/22, 12:09:19 PM by glenn57 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We just cut up some fallen trees and cleaning up our woods some.  The wind is howling here too.  Darn, we wanted a fire too.  Lunch time now. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Planted red and yellow everbearing raspberries before the rain tonight and tomorrow. Noticed the asparagus is starting to pop up.  :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just got back from FF. they had everything I wanted!!! Ran into a guy I worked with at DCI years ago, he's working an 8 week gig in the garden center. Said they unloaded 2 trucks of stuff this morning. Wasn't busy at all but he said this morning ya couldn't move in there.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Planted dill, onions lettuce, spinach and radishes tonight. Ran out of daylight or woulda but in the kalarabi!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
not sure if that wind beat up the tomato plants i got from my brother but they look rough. that and maybe being transplanted into bigger pots from starter soil to the potting soil.  :scratch: :scratch: but looking at the extended forecast, think between the rains this week, i'm going to stick them in the garden and maybe tie them up  to get them going in some decent ground!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We got the front flower beds cleaned and prepped for spring and summer blooms.
Yesterday we started in back. The first picture is of one section we finished.
Unfortunately, as you can see in the other pictures it's only about 15% of the
total flower gardens.

One section is done!

Lots of them left to go through and prep.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got my raised beds all planted.

I put some of Glenn's Dill in, we'll see if it grows. For some reason, I always have a problem with growing it.

The other garden is all tilled and planted with a couple zucchini plants.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just got done putting the maters in i got from my brudder, also 2 rows of kalarabi!!!!!!!! :happy1: it started to mist so i quit. if the rains stay away i'll have my garden fully in by weeks end!!!

good luck with the dill HD!!!!!!!!! i have heard some people have issues growing it??????
« Last Edit: May 05/08/22, 03:59:55 PM by glenn57 »