Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 gardens  (Read 50791 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
This is the first year I've gotten bottom rot on a few tomatoes plants. Noticed it a couple weeks back, it's mainly on the outer stems, the main stem maters are fine. So I put some gypsum and some 10-10-10 down right away but it's still pissing me off. Today I spread mulch around each plant just to see I guess,  man I bet I've plucked close to 40 little maters and thru out... anything else one can try?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I've had more then my share this year to.  :confused: I read if you put an antacid pill in the ground, put dirt on top then the plant it would prevent it. Yea right! :pouty:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
This is the first year I've gotten bottom rot on a few tomatoes plants. Noticed it a couple weeks back, it's mainly on the outer stems, the main stem maters are fine. So I put some gypsum and some 10-10-10 down right away but it's still pissing me off. Today I spread mulch around each plant just to see I guess,  man I bet I've plucked close to 40 little maters and thru out... anything else one can try?
I put down calcium pellet, and mulched with straw. So far only one small tomato with bottom rot. You watering regiment I think is key, and the straw helps keep the moisture in the soil longer.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had a few romas do the BER thing earlier but lately the problem is more the cracking due to the rapid growth following the rains. A release from the U last year on the subject matters:

https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden-news/cracks-rots-and-tough-spots-tomato-quality-issues#:~:text=Some%20parts%20of%20Minnesota%20are%20finally%20getting%20some,influx%20of%20water%20%28see%3A%20rain%29%20or%20temperature%20fluctuations.

Too bad we can't cross tomatoes with tiger lilies. We'd never have any issues!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: August 08/09/22, 03:07:49 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good info Dotch...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Kinda a lawn post. Man that recent rain sure fired up the weeds in the lawn  :confused: :rotflmao:

So I was just spraying weeds in the yard Ive encountered at least 10 little black walnut trees popping up all over.  :confused: damn tree rats!! :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: August 08/10/22, 11:47:50 AM by glenn57 »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm about done with the kolarobi, a few more to pick.

What vegetables can you plant late and still get a crop? Besides radishes....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Greens like lettuce & mesclun. Snap peas may make it with a variety on the earlier side & a warmer fall.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
How bout this for a kalarabi!!! :sleazy: :happy1: unfortunately it's not from my garden. :confused: got it at the farmers market. Came from Novak's out of Foley. Supposed to be a new variety that gets that big, and it's not woody  :happy1: I'll be looking for them next spring.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have had them!!  they are very good to eat!!!    :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Welp, I found a package of snap peas dated for 2019 growing season. I put some in the ground. If I get some to harvest, great....if not, oh well
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Picked another couple gallon bags worth of string beans. I got probably the nicest compliment ever from an older lady I've known a long time. I worked with her husband at the elevator many moons ago and we've been friends ever since. He's also a member of the car club I'm in. She's had some awful health issues, starting last fall with a seizure on one of our car cruises and removal of a large brain tumor after that. She was doing great, the tumor was benign and life looked promising. A few months ago she got fluid on her lung and was diagnosed with lung cancer. Not a smoker & never had been. She's been having one helluva time between the daily draining of fluid from her lung and the chemo. I've been giving her husband some string beans and cucumbers. I was afraid she had no appetite given the chemo. Wrong. She called last nite and told me those were the best string beans she'd ever eaten. Damn near embarrassed me to tears as she went on about them. I was just so happy she enjoyed them.   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is great Dotch.  So nice that she enjoyed your veggies and so good for her too.     :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
excellent Dotch!!!  small things are great to do!!!!   

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Nice Dotch. Great thinking.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Must be da sheep doo doo!! :sleazy: :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I sure enjoy picking cucumbers more than green beans!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Had our first salad out of our garden this year.  I was pushing my luck on the maters.  They were a little hard.  Still tasted good.  Put some beans in too.  Too many though.  I will put 2 or 3 in each salad though from now on.  The crunch is nice. 

« Last Edit: August 08/16/22, 07:14:49 AM by LPS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
need rain so i watered the garden!!!!!!! :smoking: :rotflmao:

planted radishes 3 days ago and there out of the ground already!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's great! See? It works every time!  ;)

Disappointed in my fall garden seeding thus far. My fall snap peas are a bust. Not a single one grew. This after what I would've considered a perfect rain following planting. Getting too late now to think about planting any more. Sort of the same thing on the winter radishes. Some scattered plants but nowhere near the number there should've been, sorta like my crappy beet crop this spring. I can still lace in another winter radish planting since I have the seed but I'd better get it done quick today before it rains. The regular spring-type white globe radishes came up just fine, spaced about right so I shouldn't need to thin them. Go figure... :scratch:

1st planting of sweet corn is moving along after a slightly warmer than forecast stretch of days. Sharing with neighbors and friends. Way more than two of us can eat. 2nd planting is pollinating so hopefully we get something out of that other than ear worms. I don't even want to look at the 1st planting of string beans. Sure there's another picking but I may say the heck with it. We froze a bunch already & the 2nd planting is flowering. Should be ready in a couple weeks. Maters should start to ripen faster with the cooler nights. Have plenty to eat now but we'll be overrun in a few weeks I suspect. A few cukes to pick while I ponder on what is where under the pumpkin/gourd/spaghetti squash/Turk's turban canopy. 
« Last Edit: August 08/18/22, 10:35:41 AM by Dotch »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My tomatoes are a bust so far. Hoping for a super late frost.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine are just starting to turn red.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I planted our mater plants late and we are just starting to get some green ones. Hoping for the same as Roony.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch, I mostly bow to your expertise in agronomy but I always thought it was # of growing degree days that led to maturity rather than cool temps.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I've done a little research here. It sounds like tomatoes ripen at the fastest rate when temps are between 65 and 75 degrees or thereabouts. So really hot weather or really cool weather seem to slow ripening.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cooler night temps like we've been having typically mean lower daytime highs. Normal highs and lows for us trend that way this time of year anyway. I read a nice article on Twitter by one of the hort guys from University of Nebraska a few weeks ago that looked at this & be dipped if I can find it again. It was also mentioned on Grow with KARE last Saturday. They've had hotter temps in NE than we have altho we had our fair share in July and not a lot of ripe tomatoes at the ranch. A release from Cornell mentions some of the same things. Interesting to note as the 2nd article points out, temperatures above 86 are detrimental. With corn, above 86 and we don't get any additional GDU's past that point. When it gets that hot & moisture is limited, it can reduce yield more quickly especially when the plant is unable to cool sufficiently at night.

https://cvp.cce.cornell.edu/submission.php?id=91

https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/buffalo/Weather%20Conditions%20Affect%20Performance,%20July%2027,%202013.pdf

https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden-news/heatwave-makes-vegetables-misbehave
« Last Edit: August 08/18/22, 07:56:17 PM by Dotch »

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
My garden is in full production.

Eating corn.....put some in the freezer today.
Made first pasta sauce out of my Roma's today.
Picked 3 cantaloupe and 3 honeydew melons this week.
Got first 2 yellow watermelons for the grandkids yesterday.
Over run by zucchini and yellow squash.
Made jars of dill hamburger slices and spears this week.
Eating yellow and purple beans this week
Last head of cauliflower today.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After removing bug traps from fields I put in some lettuce & mesclun mix in the flower bed by the house. Then where the beets didn't come up, I stuck more winter radishes & some spring-type in as well. Another deal where I got rain so will have to see what happens. :coffee:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Hanging around Reb's stomping grounds this weekend. Checking the garden here, and noticed the May fly hatch....and it's August  :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :evil: your hangin with Reb this weekend??? :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

looking like my cukes will be toast when i get back from up north!!!!!!1 :confused: :doah: :embarrassed: and i dont see noone give any away! i gotz some things with cukes i'd like to make up yet/ oh well thats gardening!!!

HD, thats odd, but we had mayfly's about a month ago to, i thought it was late for that then!!!!! :scratch: