Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2022 gardens  (Read 50780 times)

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I never buy anything with low fat on the label but my favorite Blue Cheese dressing is the Jimmy's Lighthouse Blue Cheese Lite.  It is just right.  Sometimes I like French and Blue Cheese.

I’m a big fan of Blue Cheese especially Jimmy’s. I like to add a little French sometimes. I also like good Italian.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ever try Dorothy Lynch?  My Aunt turned us onto that.  Pretty darn good.  I also like that Tuscan Italian.  Two complete opposites but like them both.  We always have some Ranch here too.  The wife likes that best.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
nope, have seen it...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
My wife really likes Dorothy Lynch. I think it’s pretty good once in a while, too.

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Pulled all my onions yesterday, still got pepper, and cucumbers coming. I have bags and bags of tomatoes in three different freezers, so I better get squeeze’n. The asparagus and rhubarb I planter new this summer have done well. About the only thing in the new garden that didn’t do well were the carrots? I’ve already mowed an area for a bigger garden next year.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I am leaving today for a week of goose hunting in Sask. Won't be back until next weekend. So the garden is pretty well done except for fall cleanup and waiting for the first frost. Carrots get better after frost. Potatoes keep best in the ground until next month. Still too many zucchini and yellow squash.

Being overwhelmed with fall raspberries. Both red and yellow.
Still have Chestnut, Honeygold, and Snowsweet apples on the trees.
Picked 10 ice cream buckets of Summerset red seedless grapes.

Kids are eating the last of Vision Yellow Sweet Corn this weekend. I had to go out and spray Deer Stopper around it again. Bear got into it again on Tues. night. Drug stalks across the yard. No damage this morning after spraying.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Have fun Ken. 

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Have fun Ken. At least now you can bring your birds back with you.
I am just starting to get tomatoes off of my plants. I have 3 red ones now. I got them in late and June was really cool. Late bloomers.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i'm thinking by next weekend my garden is going to be pretty barron!!!!!!! maybe some peppers. once i'm done making my pickled green tomatoes the jalapenos are toast too!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ate the last couple ears of sweet corn last nite. Had stabbed in some seeds where there was a gap in the row and found them in amongst the tangled mess. Fixed up a friend with some apples & pears then got his wife some pumpkins along with another bag of beans from the refrigerator. Picked another couple gallon bags worth of beans after that. Getting about sick of picking them and tomatoes. I see the 2nd radish planting is looking good so need to get some of them harvested this weekend. Can probably start on some pumpkins, gourds and such too. The vines have powdery mildew so they won't be setting a lot of new ones.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Picked a couple zucchini tonite & looks like there might be one more if the plant doesn't abort it. Pulled these bad boys while I was at it. The 1st planting of white globes are history. The cherry belles are from the 2nd planting. Sheep enjoyed eating the tops. As if there's nothing else to eat. They already look like someone's been feeding them gobs of shell corn. Not the case.  :rolleyes:

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Pulled 3 more tomato plants, carrots are now all out. My radishes are out also. Not a real bad batch.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked a jag of pole beans last night and a few maters.  I haven't watered in a couple of weeks. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The only thing yanked here was the trellises of pickling cukes and 2 zookini plants. Picking and freezing maters daily with letting all the jalapenos and bells turn red for different sauces.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Except for chopping off the flowers after it freezes, the garden is done!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
don't forget to water it!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Finally got all the pears picked. Should've got at it earlier but just ran out of daylight too many nites. Birds started picking at them, making good spots for those insipid multi-colored Asian ladybeetles to gnaw their way in. Still got some nice ones to eat in spite of the bugs. The Mrs. picked all the pumpkins, squash & gourds then I helped her pile them so they could be covered. Nice crop with an overabundance of vegetable spaghetti. The winter radishes from the 1st planting are getting huge like I thought they would. Gave one to a friend to try that was between baseball & softball sized. The 2nd planting is coming but will need Oct. to amount to much. 2nd planting spring-type radishes continue to produce. See if I can harvest them tonite.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
A friend gave me a tiny acorn squash plant and I planted it where the romaine was.  It has 3 flowers and a squarsh the size of a tennis ball or smaller.  That is the only thing that I covered. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I cleaned up most of it, all's left is some beets & peas
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That freeze did more damage than I thought.  All of our stuff is brown and gone. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Mid 20's coming on Friday......will be it. Makes the carrots sweeter.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Thought I read on here a while back on ripening tomatoes in a paper bag. Lots of green ones yet that I would like save. Anyone tried it? Or maybe there is another method..

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes.....works.....You can do the same easier.....just put them on a shelf and cover with newspapers. The have to be in the dark. They won't taste as good as vine ripe. Similar to store bought. The best ones are light green and not dark green when picked.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Ken, with cold temps coming everything might get yanked.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here.....mid 20's on Thurs and Friday.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm thinking covering them won't work at that temp!!! 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I overed them last week with light frost. They were OK. Mid 20's kills them even under blankets.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks Ken I have one mater plant that came late and big so just really producing..  pluck what I can and call it good...

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Decided to see if there were any ears on the Indian corn last nite. I planted it later than I liked, the latter part of May. When I bought the seed packets at FF I didn't look at them until I got them home. They said the maturity was 100 - 120 day! Hmmm...if it was 100 day I'd be fine. If it was 120 day, well, I'd likely planted nice corn shock material. It got about 11' tall and didn't tassel until well into August, making me think it was the late maturity stuff. It survived the frost pretty well and was still green. Recently I noticed the birds were picking at the ears, especially on the tips. It wasn't fully mature but the milk line was coming down on the kernels so decided to pick what I could. Pleasant surprise. While the birds and corn earworm had done some damage, there were a couple dozen huge, beautiful ears that were intact, many over 10" in length. Still a few grass green ears to pick yet