Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: inline ice reels  (Read 2730 times)

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Not sure if this was discussed before but I wish to pimp this esteemed panel for info. Are inline reels a novelty or do they have a purpose in the ice fishing world? Interested in hearing from you that have used or are using one. Do they handle retrieving a large fish? A buddy showed me a 13-fishing reel 6061 and I like the concept. He has not used it as of yet. Thanks for your wealth of knowledge
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I bought into some of the online reels. Buying a couple Black Betty's & a 13 Ghost reel.

My review would be that they work "ok"
My problem, is the price. I figured I could find a better reel at a cheaper price..... and I did...
I really like this one, and works better if you happen to hook into a bigger fish.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
I have one.....I works great when jigging. Regular spinning reels twist the line when jigging. So if you stop, the lure sits down there and spins in a circle.....not natural.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
it seems to me you can set a spinning reel down and protect the spool from getting wet then freezing. and if you pull up a few sunnies would that not bless you with the line twist no matter what?
A gun owner is a citizen

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
I really appreciate you guys. Thanks. Is it getting time for a "tackle swap" again?
A gun owner is a citizen

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I had to chuckle a bit when I saw this. If you posted this at 7 this morning, I would have wondered what the heck is that being I never saw one before. At 9 AM today I went to H&H Sports Shop in Maple Lake to purchase some guns for our MDHA chapter banquet coming at the end of March. (Shameless plug here). On my way out I pass by a display of ice rods and low and behold I saw and played with one of these.  With that said, I guess I am not one to comment on the use or value of one of these reels.   :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
HD, text me the link for that in line, i cant stand the spinning reel line teis anymore, in the market for inline, at a good price.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
HD, text me the link for that in line, i cant stand the spinning reel line teis anymore, in the market for inline, at a good price.
only thing that'll help you get fish is TNT!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :sleazy: :mooning: :evil:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I jig a lot here on the river in the summer and winter.  I get so tired of that line twist.  I put new line on at the end of the open water season hoping that helps.  Maybe I need new reels too. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
My thoughts exactly HD, price I can't believe what some of those go for.  I looked into them last year, wasn't sure about the trigger release on some, so I picked up 2 Descent 13 inline reels to try out. 40$ a piece,  they worked great fir pan fish, so I picked up 2 more this year. The drag seems kinda sketchy on these but overall I never even changed the line out from last year, bigger spool so the memory was low. One thing those reels spin easy, if your not watching once a jig hits the bottom the reel will keep going.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Meh,I'll pass on them. I catch plenty of fish with my open face on winter rods.  :fish2: :fishing:

Not buying the spin either. I've spent hours watching my hook under the ice with my camera, mayhaps a little spin at first, but no biggie.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Text sent.....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!