Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: A little reminder  (Read 3091 times)

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
: The Minnesota DNR is reminding anglers that Monday is the deadline for removing permanent fish houses from lakes in the southern part of the state. They are also urging cleanup, as garbage left on lakes has become a major problem.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Also get a new fishing and trapping lisence
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We got our new licenses Wednesday at L & M & I asked about the new regs book. She sounded a bit surprised that they weren't the only place that didn't have any. She was even more surprised when I mentioned that they were available online & sounded like she had checked but they weren't online last week. :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
We got our new licenses Wednesday at L & M & I asked about the new regs book. She sounded a bit surprised that they weren't the only place that didn't have any. She was even more surprised when I mentioned that they were available online & sounded like she had checked but they weren't online last week. :confused:
i'm wondering if they dont send them out till the new season actually kicks off.

my kid works the liqour/ convenience store today. i'm going to text him to look if there in!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I'm kind of thinkin that the change in the panfish regs on the 50+ lakes is what's playing a large part in the printing delay too, glenn.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 03/04/22, 08:13:15 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just got word from my son that the printed version of the 22 regs are on the shelf!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
: The Minnesota DNR is reminding anglers that Monday is the deadline for removing permanent fish houses from lakes in the southern part of the state. They are also urging cleanup, as garbage left on lakes has become a major problem.

I saw one house left on St. Olaf when I came back to town. Guessing they'll want to get it off of the ice before we get 55 degrees & upwards of an inch of rain that's forecast tomorrow. Really hoping it's no one I know so I don't get a call to help them. Those pubic accesses can get pretty dicey in a hurry.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine is on the river and it's gonna be a challenge to get it off.  My buddy with a skid steer said he will help with it. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You gonna kick the hookers out first?  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Just got back from Flea Farm....cost me 65 bucks for licenses.  :bonk:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
cheap entertainment!! And bonus meals... Iffin you can catch any!!!🤭🤭🤭 :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a NR season :fishing: for us was $52.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a NR season :fishing: for us was $52.
it's nice you guys share your generous wealth with MN DNR!!! :happy1: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: That's cheap as much as I get out. :happy1: :cool:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
cheap entertainment!! And bonus meals... Iffin you can catch any!!!🤭🤭🤭 :rotflmao:
I forgot to add with that the spring turkey license...so $89.25 total. :undecided:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looked at the new regs again.  :scratch: I thought eelpout where now considered a game fish!! :pouty: :doofus: :rotflmao: yet it has no set season or limit!!??

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :angry2: :angry2: :confused: Everytime I go to it I gotta register for an account. Grrr.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
12, 2022 at 6:23 p.m. | UPDATED: February 14, 2022 at 6:20 p.m.
All hail the once-lowly burbot, which now is considered a game fish species in Minnesota.

About time, I say.

Long considered the “ish of fish” — an understandable moniker, given its beady eyes, slithery appearance and a tendency to curl its tail around angler arms when held out of the water — the burbot has become cool in recent years.

It hasn’t always been so.

Growing up ice fishing on Lake of the Woods, I can remember friends and family grumbling in disdain when a heavy fish they hoped would be a walleye turned out to be a burbot instead.

The beady eyes peering up from the bottom of the hole were a dead giveaway.

Frozen burbot littering the ice were a common sight in those days, a practice that rarely happens anymore.

Good thing, too; besides being inconsiderate, it’s illegal.

Few fish have more nicknames than the burbot. I use “eelpout” interchangeably with burbot, but in North Dakota, they’re widely known as ling. Other nicknames include “lawyer” (I’ll let you draw your own conclusions on that one), “cusk,” “mud blower,” “mud pout,” “poor man’s lobster” and “mariah,” (the common nickname in Manitoba, though I have no idea why).

I remember rolling my eyes some two decades ago, when a DNR biologist friend with a reputation for occasionally having wild ideas said he thought it was time for a push to make the burbot a game fish species.

It will never happen, I thought to myself at the time.

The change was gradual, but the burbot sometime in the past 10 to 15 years became a desirable species to catch. Social media had a lot to do with that, I believe, as numerous “influencers” hopped on the burbot bandwagon, posting videos on YouTube and other platforms and writing about the pure joy of pulling a burbot through a hole in the ice.

What’s not to like, after all? They grow big — Minnesota’s state record, from Lake of the Woods in 2016, is a whopping 19 pounds, 10 ounces; and the North Dakota record, from the Knife River in 1984, weighed 18 pounds, 4 ounces — they peel line from the drag like mad and they taste great.

All are very desirable traits in my world. Burbot also are an “indicator” species, requiring cold, high-quality water to survive and thrive.

By last year, the burbot had risen from rough fish status in Minnesota, as indicated on Page 12 of the 2021 Minnesota Fishing Regulations book, and when the new regulations come out sometime in the next few weeks, the burbot will be listed as a game fish. It will probably be next winter before the Department of Natural Resources implements a limit on them, said Phil Talmage, area fisheries supervisor for the DNR in Baudette, Minn.

They’re also considered a game fish in North Dakota, which has a daily limit of 10 and a possession limit of 20.

According to Greg Power, fisheries chief for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department in Bismarck, burbot were upgraded from a nongame fish to a game species in April 1993, and the current limit was put in place in April 2004.

In North Dakota, they’re limited to the Missouri River System and the Red River, where burbot generally are quite small. In Lake Sakakawea, burbot do best in terms of body condition when the rainbow smelt population is strong, Power said.

“One thing for sure over my career, I’ve noted a definite shift in angler attitudes regarding ling — from a slimy (almost scary) rough fish to something much more desirable,” Power said. “A lot less wanton waste and a lot more keeping them for table fare — which personally I attest to.

“Over the past several decades, burbot have experienced a positive public makeover.”

I’ve also targeted burbot and written about catching them on numerous occasions. Without exception, every encounter has been an absolute blast. Since burbot spawn under the ice, mid-February through early March is prime time for catching them.

The time is now, in other words.

One time, while ice fishing up at the Northwest Angle on Lake of the Woods, a friend and I set up in a spot where burbot are known to spawn under the ice. I’m not sure what makes the spot attractive — it’s about 14 feet deep and basically a sandy flat, as I understand it — but the burbot stage there every winter about this time.

Hit it right, and the action can be absolutely gangbusters.

We’d been having a hard time catching walleyes and saugers that day, and so we packed up and headed by snowmobile to the “pout hole.” We were set up and fishing by 5 p.m.

We caught a few burbot almost right away, but the action really kicked into gear at dusk, which came early on that gray, cloudy day.

The action was almost nonstop until we finally pulled the plug about 9 p.m. — exhausted, but giddy from the fishing we had just experienced. We released all but a couple of fish, boiling them up back at camp for a taste of “poor man’s lobster.”

As always, the burbot were superb.

Ugly? Yes, the argument could be made.

Slimy? Most definitely.

Tasty and fun to catch? Without question.

All hail the burbot — Minnesota’s newest game fish species.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that better??

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
that better??
:happy1: :happy1:

So it's now a game fish, and a limit will be set next year!!👍

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Have eaten lots of them.  Darn good too.