Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Canning 2022  (Read 10189 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Picked a zuke this a.m. & delivered it to my adopted mom. We've had some Little Bing cherry maters & I ate a small string bean I found tonite whilst I was weeding.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
My early afternoon project. A 2 gallon jug of what I call Mille's pickles, 3 qts of sauerkraut and some cukes for creamy cukes.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That looks great.  We only have one cuke so far so my options are limited. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Those cukes in the big jar make pretty good bloody Mary pickles!! :happy1: :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that a make and eat in a week type Glenn?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that a make and eat in a week type Glenn?
which one??? Yes the one in the white container.  The 2 gallon jug no.
I put them in the fridge to meld for 2-3 months then I start eating them. I see try to make 4-5 jars and they last just fine till spring or their gone.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Farmers market is going in town today so I picked up a big head of cabbage and gonna do that up yet. I should get 6-7 qts from that. I should be set for kraut then.

I bought a kalarabi that was the size of a volleyball almost :doofus: not sure what I'm doing wrong. :scratch:

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Farmers market is going in town today so I picked up a big head of cabbage and gonna do that up yet. I should get 6-7 qts from that. I should be set for kraut then.

I bought a kalarabi that was the size of a volleyball almost :doofus: not sure what I'm doing wrong. :scratch:
I’ve got about 7 lbs of kraut in the crock I sampled last night. It’s coming along nicely!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

With all the stuff you're canning, you should get a table at the Farms market!   :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The first attempt at kraut about 3 years ago it was fantastic.  The last 2 batches I didn't like and threw them out.  The last one was way too salty cuz I kept adding salt water to replace what was evaporating. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

With all the stuff you're canning, you should get a table at the Farms market!   :happy1:
nah I use it up pretty well all by myself.

LPS how does it it evaporate?? Isn't it sealed? I know there are lots of ways to make it??

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sealed whilst it is curing.  I do the put a leaf on top and weigh down with a smaller jelly jar to keep it under water.  May have to get one of those kits with the top with a pipe out of it. 

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, this is what I use. It’s a Ohio stoneware fermentation crock. I make my kraut and my pickles in it. It has a lid and 2 weights. I just bagged and froze my last batch. Turned out great, very crunchy!
Don’t give up, it’s so much better than anything you can buy, and very healthy.
When I was bagging up the kraut, the wife came in from outside and said I stunk up the whole yard.
« Last Edit: July 07/29/22, 12:14:16 PM by Cooperman »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I just did up a dozen jars of pickles....and since my tomatoes won't turn red, I did a couple of green tomatoes. It's the first time I tried tomatoes, we'll see how they turn out.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I just did up a dozen jars of pickles....and since my tomatoes won't turn red, I did a couple of green tomatoes. It's the first time I tried tomatoes, we'll see how they turn out.
what brine/ recipe did you use HD. not sure if I posted mine?? :scratch:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I just used mine, and substituted tomatoes for the pickles..... we'll see 😁
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Did you cut the green tomatoes up or throw them in whole?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Did you cut the green tomatoes up or throw them in whole?
the bigger ones I quartered, the smaller ones, I cut in half.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Shared some of these pics earlier with Glenn and Mike but thought I'd post anyway.  The wife's cousin stopped by today while I was just starting and she's a BIG canner. At the time I was boiling the jars and rings and asked me why I was doing that,  she never boils em, just hot soapy water...  I try to go by the book maybe it's not necessary??? Crazy I thought.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Shared some of these pics earlier with Glenn and Mike but thought I'd post anyway.  The wife's cousin stopped by today while I was just starting and she's a BIG canner. At the time I was boiling the jars and rings and asked me why I was doing that,  she never boils em, just hot soapy water...  I try to go by the book maybe it's not necessary??? Crazy I thought.

I usually have the jars and rings in the dish washer and the lids in boiling water when I'm canning....  :rotflmao: As long as they get sanitized, it's a matter of what you're used to.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Made these yesterday, ready to eat today. :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What are those? Toad stools or Smurf umbrella's?

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL  Or banana chips? 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
What are those? Toad stools or Smurf umbrella's?
cukes, sometimes referred to as frig pickles or summer cukes. :confused: :pouty:

Pretty simple to make, I bet even you could make them!!! :sleazy: :mooning: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: August 08/08/22, 06:25:03 PM by glenn57 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I would like to see the recipe.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
pretty simple LPS  ......

7 cups peeled and sliced cukes
i cup sliced onions in a bowl.

put salt on...a fair amount. let set for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. mixing it often
dump in a strainer and rinse really good several times

brine is simple also.......
2 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 tsp celery seed
heat until sugar is dissolved..........usually turns clear.....dont boil

pour over cukes and onions and mix. refrigerate and ready to eat the next day!!!!! 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Glenn I will try that.   :sleazy:

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
My first dill pickle quart of the year, and one of two pints of refrigerator pickles. The other one I devoured. I know it’s just refrigerator pickles, but these where without a doubt the best I’ve made. The onions were delicious!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We've been munching on refer pickles for 8 or 9 days now. I love em. Our cukes are going to town now so the warden will be making her fill pickles soon. Such a bountiful time of year.