Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Zucchini Loves High Heat  (Read 1947 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Zucchini Loves High Heat
A few simple tricks and a hot sauté pan or grill give zucchini the perfect texture for quick summer side dishes
By Tony Rosenfeld

A while ago, I resolved never to cook mushy zucchini again. Easier said than done. The vegetable’s water content is so high, it seems destined to cook into a sodden mess. But I’ve figured out how to prevent that, and now my cooked zucchini is always pleasingly firm and meaty. Here’s my secret: Before I let the vegetable touch a hot pan or grill, I slice it and salt it to draw out some of the water. Then I cook it quickly over dry, high heat to caramelize the flesh before it has a chance to steam and get soggy. 

Slice and salt zucchini before cooking. I start by quartering the zucchini lengthwise and cutting off the top of its seed core—that spongy part that immediately turns to mush when it encounters heat. I salt the zucchini quarters and let them rest for about 10 minutes in a colander. The salt pulls a good deal of water from the zucchini and also starts to season the vegetable. Then I dry the zucchini well with paper towels and cook it. 

Dry-heat cooking generally suits zucchini best. Grilling or sautéing sears the vegetable and allows you to cook it quickly and avoid the dreaded mush. I generally grill and sauté zucchini unadorned and then toss the cooked vegetable with other garden-fresh ingredients and flavorful accents like fresh basil or thyme, olives or sun-dried tomatoes, and cheeses like Parmigiano Reggiano or ricotta salata.

Basic method for slicing and salting zucchini
Wash the zucchini well to remove any grit and dry them with paper towels. Trim off the ends and quarter the zucchini lengthwise. Slice off the top 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the soft seed core by running a sharp knife down the length of each quarter; it’s all right if some of the seeds remain. Arrange the zucchini, cut side up, on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with kosher salt (about 1/2 tsp. per pound of zucchini) and set aside for 10 minutes. Blot the quarters dry with the paper towels.

Tony’s tips for fantastic zucchini
• Choose little zucchini. Their flesh is firm, not pithy, and it browns without turning to mush.
• Wash zucchini well. To remove grit, I rinse the zucchini well and wipe down the skin with a cloth or paper towel.
• Don’t move the zucchini much while cooking. This gives the exterior a chance to develop a deep golden color.
• Serve cooked zucchini dishes immediately. Cooked zucchini softens as it sits, which isn’t necessarily bad, but it detracts from the perfect texture you’ve worked to achieve.
« Last Edit: July 07/26/22, 06:47:40 PM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sure does.  We didn't plant any this year. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Boober convinced me to try some cooked zookini but when I brought it up to the FW she curled up her nose and said she don't like it.

I'm still gonna try it. But I ain't buying it . Someone needs to give mee one.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
got to find me some too    :rotflmao:

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Zucchini Patties

These are pretty good!

"These cheesy zucchini patties are an excellent way to use up that abundance of zucchini from the garden. Serve with a bit of tomato sauce or sour cream dabbed on top."
Ingredients
* 2 cups grated zucchini
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 cup AP flour, or
* 1/2 cup instant potato flakes, or
* 1/2 cup bread crumbs
* 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese (the real stuff)
* 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
* salt to taste
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions
* In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, onion, flour, or potato flakes, or bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt. Stir well enough to distribute ingredients evenly.
* Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Form into patties, and fry until golden brown on both sides

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
coopy.......is katchup good with those patties!!!! :scratch: :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Mom brought me a bunch of cukes, and there was a zookini in there, so the next time I fire up the grill.... :happy1:

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
The smaller ones are good breaded, deep fried, and dipped in horseradish sauce. They’re also pretty good seasoned and dehydrated into chips.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Does anyone do these things in a frying pan!!

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nancy-fuller/sausage-stuffed-zucchini-boats-2765700

I make zucchini boats similar to above.

Very simple...
slice in half
scrape inners into bowl
brown some Italian sausage and add some garlic
Mix sausage and zucchini inners
place mixture into zucchini
bake
add parmesan

2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
coopy.......is katchup good with those patties!!!! :scratch: :rolleyes: :rotflmao:
You try it and let me know….the only thing I put ketchup on is a hamburger.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nancy-fuller/sausage-stuffed-zucchini-boats-2765700

I make zucchini boats similar to above.

Very simple...
slice in half
scrape inners into bowl
brown some Italian sausage and add some garlic
Mix sausage and zucchini inners
place mixture into zucchini
bake
add parmesan

I make those too!!   pizza ingredients are great in them too!!    :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The wife made those a couple of times and we really liked them.  Was actually fun to grow them and unreal how much bigger they get every day.  LOL   Most ended up in the pasture to see if the horses would eat them.  Two people can only eat so many of them.  And all of a sudden they are huge.  The wife wouldn't let me get any this year. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Whenever you buy a Zucchini in the grocery store, they are generally small. 

And when they grow to caveman club-sized proportions I wonder if they are as good.

Yeah, they're bigger, but I think that generally means the soft seed section in the center is that much bigger too.  :confused:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I gotta try coops patties one of these times. Did another round of yellows on the grill the other day, next time tho I'll try the salt trick. Those big club ones Steve-o usually get turned to bread and the yellow monsters momma has been making a lemon bar otta them that is dynamite.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Whenever you buy a Zucchini in the grocery store, they are generally small. 

And when they grow to caveman club-sized proportions I wonder if they are as good.

Yeah, they're bigger, but I think that generally means the soft seed section in the center is that much bigger too.  :confused:

yes the center is bigger, kind of like squash, hollow it out and fill it up with what you like..   or I think it can be cubed and roasted too..