Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lone Star Tick *READ!*  (Read 730 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Minnesota officially has a nasty tick within its borders. You think a deer tick is bad, this is far worse. Not only can you get lymes disease from it, you can also become very allergic to meat...
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
WOW.....scary.pretty high count up in itasca county....... :pouty:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
AND Beltrami.  Right south of us.  Scary.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah not good. Hopefully they just target vegetarians.. :scratch:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
heard you will get real sick from eating red meat it you get bitten by that tic...   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wouldn't that be terrible.  I wonder if that lasts forever? 

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Minnesota officially has a nasty tick within its borders. You think a deer tick is bad, this is far worse. Not only can you get lymes disease from it, you can also become very allergic to meat...
huum, sounds like a PETA scare to stop meat eaters.  I've been in the MN woods for 50 years and never even heard of this tick?  Best thing though, according to the map the highest rates are where all the blue hair voters are.  :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Im sorry but I sure don't see the spread of a deadly tick and educating the public about it as being political in any way shape or form. And, by the way, this isn't the political forum.
« Last Edit: July 07/14/24, 01:52:56 PM by roony »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Couldn't agree more Roony.  Leech this tick is moving north.  It was never in our woods before.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Im sorry but I sure don't see the spread of a deadly tick and educating the public about it as being political in any way shape or form. And, by the way, this isn't the political forum.
I would have to agree. It looks like it has been here since 1998. Hopefully it is a slow move. Certainly won't keep me out of the woods. I do wonder if it is permanent allergy or temporary.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Thanks, HD. May have to do some research to see if permethrin is effective on these guys, too. Do you by chance have that information handy?
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
huum, sounds like a PETA scare to stop meat eaters.  I've been in the MN woods for 50 years and never even heard of this tick?  Best thing though, according to the map the highest rates are where all the blue hair voters are.  :happy1:
I’ve heard of them for many years. Maybe I just pay more attention, or maybe because my many dogs over the years have been exposed to at least three different tick borne diseases. I don’t think the tick looks at the color of your hair, your political persuasion, or checks to see if you have a PETA membership. Take it as joke material if you like, but people who have been affected personally or had their dogs affected  will tell you it’s serious and not very funny.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Take it as you may!  Reread the wording under the map heading, you may have to zoom.
"A total of 73 Lone star ticks documented since 1998!"  26 years! 
I had 73 wood ticks on me when I came out of the woods the last time I went turkey hunting!
Be afraid   :surrender:   :doah: 
« Last Edit: July 07/14/24, 10:24:44 PM by Leech~~ »

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
"Minnesota under siege"
By 3 ticks a year. 🤔

With 1000's of people hunting Turkeys, Hogs and Deer in other states, 3 ticks discovered a year that may have come back with them from other states is no reason to panic! 😒

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I didn't know anyone was panicking. Still it is prudent to be aware of this type of tick and be able to recognize it.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Probably not a panic or a siege but it's never bad (in my opinion) to have information. What we do with that information is up to us. I know I used to take ticks and chiggers as a "no big deal" thing. Not any more.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      With my feeble computer knowledge, I did a little looking in to this bugger. I'm more confused. What I wanted to find out was how long this tick has to be attached. Do the allergic reactions decrease over time?
      Looks like my best tools are still permethrin on my clothes, DEET on the skin and a good tick check when I'm home. Carry on with outdoor activities.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Minnesota officially has a nasty tick within its borders. You think a deer tick is bad, this is far worse. Not only can you get lymes disease from it.
I'll keep trying to help. 😒

Lone star ticks have not been shown to transmit Borrelia burgdorferi, the cause of Lyme disease.May 15, 2024