Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 38552 times)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Time to go after the tomato suckers. Otherwise the plant gets over producing leaves.  :happy1: :happy1:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
First bowl of  strawberries this year. Time for Strawberry Pie and Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. My family loves these. :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
those look nummy Ken.  :happy1: nuttin like a fresh picked strawberry......that bowl be only half full had i picked them!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

that heat and sun yesterday sure curled up my cuke leaves.......once the garden got shaded they were OK. starting to see small maters on some of the plants!!!! :happy1: so far i'm liking them livingstone seeds......especially the kalarabi!!! maybe only pulled 4-5 of them what look like rutabega looking things.

dill is starting to form the little balls. but here not as tall as other years!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
It would have been twice as full if my grandsons weren't helping. :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You probably mentioned it Ken, but curious about what variety or varieties of strawberries you're growing these days? Growing up, Mom & Dad had Dunlap's. When we moved to our present spot, there was a patch of Sparkle strawberries established. Unfortunately, like most conservative Norwegians did, they planted them way too close to some spruce trees. Same with their rhubarb. Within a matter of a few years, both the berries and rhubarb were shaded out. I never quite understood why the Dunlap's were called Senator Dunlap strawberries. As Paul Harvey used to say, now I know the rest of the story... :coffee:

https://www.savoy.illinois.gov/dunlap_family_and_senators_inn
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Sparkle is a good variety. Right now I have

Ogallala.....an everbearer. These ripen early now. Again in September. They are OK. But I only grow them to get the Sept. berries.

Honeyoe, which is supposedly the number 1 berry grown in Pick Your Own. It is a June Bearer.... so only berries now

I also am growing Cabot which is the largest berry you can grow in the northern climate. Again a June Bearer. My grandsons call them Strawberry Bombs. Very larger, sweet, and juicy.

If I would change......I would now plow under the Honeyoe and plant Wendy. An earlier Junebearing variety. But you run the chance of frost damage if they are blooming.

I till under half the row each year after picking is over to let new "daughter" runners set plants in the bare half. Those have the biggest berreis next year.

These are other varieties I've grow over the past 40 years. Some are everbearers, some are junebearers, and some day neutrals.....
Albion
Annapolis
Ozark Beauty
Ft Laramie
Evie-2
Seascape
« Last Edit: June 06/20/23, 04:21:46 PM by KEN W »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
curious question.......how are everyones tomatoes?????? other then needing a good rain.......dutchy said was coming in gale forces  :rotflmao: they are growing fine but main the main stocks sure are skinny this year.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Mine are doing OK. This heat has really pushed them. Have tomatoes on about half. So started mulching with straw.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Been doing a little fly control. :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So what the heck is that?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So what the heck is that?
a fly trap ! Put this little packet of powder in add water. After a few days it stinks attracts flies. They can get in but not out
!!

Fleet farm and Menards has it. I'd bet anyplace that has farm stuff would too.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
'maters are coming along. The replacements for the Celebrity + never skipped a beat & the Sun Sugar likes its home even after the wife broke it off before I got it. Peppers are very nice too. Vine crops are really starting to take off. Liking the strip till system I'm trying for them so far. The sunflowers are the pleasant surprise. Thought I was wasting my time as dry as it was. Weeded the cannas tonight as they're about ready to explode. Planted 10 more rows of sweet corn afterwards, hoping this weekend rain materializes.
« Last Edit: June 06/23/23, 09:09:57 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It's coming along

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks pretty good Glenn. :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The mulberries are blooming and the dill that I planted in the raised bed is doing great! I'm on my 3rd planting of radishes, and everything thing else is coming along....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: thats great to hear your dill is moving along!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, this is the fly bait I get at FF!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Them put it in that container?  They are leg biting sob's.  I will check out Big M this weekend.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sure of Glenn's trap but we had ours about a foot off the ground and hammered just as much in 4 days.  Ya it stinks but it works.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Them put it in that container?  They are leg biting sob's.  I will check out Big M this weekend.
yep dump that in the jug and add water.

boober...........i have the one i posted hanging from an old hook my wife had a flower basket on under the deck. the other one i have is sitting on a storage container one maybe 4 ft off the ground the other maybe 3 ft. dont think it matters.

i tried this about 8 years ago at the cabin......but it was later in the year trying to get them friggin boat ankle biting buzzards but didnt works so well. this year its going to be an ongoing trail!!!!!! :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Big M  will have a different brand. its where my kid got his and worked just as good. the stuff i have seems to take 3-4 days but then really kicks in!!!!! :happy1:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The garden is on auto pilot for a while now. Fishing and working at the land takes precedence.

I didn't know kohlrabi got this big. They are like softballs.

I hope the pergola can support the weight. It sure is shady under the canopy.

Some sort of plums.

Apples are doing great.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty darn impressive DE. 

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks good. :happy1: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks bootiful!  :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The sweet corn I planted the nite of the 22nd is poking through already. Amazing what a little rain can do sometimes. Hoping a few of the cucumbers I stuck in Friday ahead of the rain follow suit. Conditions for weed growth have been about ideal. Be nice to get them whapped while they're still small. No pics of my overall ratty looking garden at least until I get the few decent looking parts weeded.  :doah: 

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Deer destroyed our beets last night. They pushed the chicken wire half hoops off the rows
 The liquid fence must be like ketchup on a burger to them hellions or else the tenth of an inch of rain we got washed it off. I'm tempted to spend some hard earned $ on a solar fencer and fence the whole garden off. We can always use something more to trim around. I was in the shop fuming about it. Then I walked out and the cutest little spotted fawn was eyeballin' me. I bet it would be good on the grill over the 4th.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Take a picture of the fawn before you grill it so you can show everyone.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
make sure to wear your orange!!!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!