Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Pickup truck.  (Read 1465 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
      Kind of been keeping an eye out for a newer pickup. Plan on buying sometime this year. No hurry.
      It seems to me that just about all the trucks these days have 4 doors. I don't want 4 full size doors. Extended cab would be great. Some of them 4 door trucks have a bed big enough to carry a pair of dry socks and that's about it.
      And them high-tech tailgates. None of them seem to just drop down. Automatic up or down, some are steps, some with speakers or power outlets. Good grief.
      I'm about the only one in my truck. Don't haul around the wife or kids or dogs. I told one sales guy what I wanted and he thought I was joking, I think.
      Do you folks use all 4 doors if you have them on your trucks?
      I'm done venting now. I'll go sit in the corner now. Thank you.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Imagine my frustration when I was looking for a regular 2 door cab truck with an 8 ft box! :confused:

But I'm quite satisfied with the extended cab I ended up getting! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
      Kind of been keeping an eye out for a newer pickup. Plan on buying sometime this year. No hurry.
      It seems to me that just about all the trucks these days have 4 doors. I don't want 4 full size doors. Extended cab would be great. Some of them 4 door trucks have a bed big enough to carry a pair of dry socks and that's about it.
      And them high-tech tailgates. None of them seem to just drop down. Automatic up or down, some are steps, some with speakers or power outlets. Good grief.
      I'm about the only one in my truck. Don't haul around the wife or kids or dogs. I told one sales guy what I wanted and he thought I was joking, I think.
      Do you folks use all 4 doors if you have them on your trucks?
      I'm done venting now. I'll go sit in the corner now. Thank you.

Take your truck to a local mechanic you trust. Have him dump a new crate motor and tranny in. Rebuild the whole front end. Take it to the local upholstery shop and have the interior redone. Have the perfect truck you want and about 30k still in your pocket. Heck you even paint it and be ahead of the game.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My truck is 2 door, full size box, 2 wheel drive. Probably three or four times a year I wish it was 4wd.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've pretty much always had a pickup. Never had a 4 door pickup. I seem to get along just fine with the extended cab version. I usually haul more stuff than people. I agree if you typically haul three or more people, you probably would be better off with the 4 door pickup.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
This last pickup I bought is the full 4 door crew cab. I like it. But I do have 3-4 people in it sometimes. After my knee surgery I really liked it since I rode home in the back seat and was able to keep my leg straight across the back seat. It is a 2500 HD to so it has an 82" or 84" long bed on it. I had extended cabs before that and they were good too. But I like the crew cab better.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have had extended cabs and didn't want a 4 door.  Finally I checked them out.  Done deal.  I can fold the seats up and then it is a flat floor that I put a blanket on for the dogs.  It is great for getting groceries and stuff too.  I like toppers so I can haul all kinds of stuff in it.  Would have a hard time going back to extended now but it is what you are used to.   I have had 2 friends recently that bought Ford regular cab trucks with a long box.  Wouldn't work for me but is what they wanted and they like them.  Much cheaper too.

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
      I have had 4x4 pickups, extended cabs. They were great. Somehow, I ended up with a Dodge Caravan about 5 years ago. It's done most of what I need but there were a few times I needed a pickup.
      The van has 217,000 miles on it, more rust then paint. Rear hatch won't open anymore and I had a mouse problem in it this past winter. Several electrical problems. It owes me nothing.
      Issues that I need to get over. Like maybe having payments again.
      Thanks, guys.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I’ve always had extended cabs, but my latest is a crew cab, and I’m really liking it.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wouldn't be without a 4wd truck.  Especially in MN.  My brother has always had minivans and loves them.  Hauls all kinds of stuff in it.  BUT he is from the cities so the kind of stuff he hauls is pretty tame.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got a 4 door truck and I have regretted it at times. I kinda missed not being able to haul a sheet of plywood. But I don't have to do that very often anymore.
I still keep the truck around for doing things around home and in the field.

But I did get myself a new ride.....
A big ole station wagon. I can fold the back seats down and haul a ton of crap. Even more than the truck and better gas mileage.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
As long as it's not a mini van.  :confused:

Them drivers are the worst

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
those are nice rides HD...    :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Trust me, I don't care for mini vans....it seems that the silver ones are the worst  :confused:

But, this car has got a V6, and you can smoke the tires without even trying  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Traverses have an S-ton of interior cargo space for a midsized SUV - most in class (or close to it), I think.   :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Trust me, I don't care for mini vans....it seems that the silver ones are the worst  :confused:

But, this car has got a V6, and you can smoke the tires without even trying  :happy1:
:happy1: thats not a mini van though..so your safe!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The wife wants one like that HD.  Nice looking vehicle and made in USA.  Her Impala is perfect and not even 80,000 so trying to stall on her getting a newer vehicle yet. 

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
What year is the Impala?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
2011  Gets great mileage.  Like in the 30's.  That yellow/cream color or whatever they call it.  Nice looking car. 

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Our Impala was a 2008 and would get mid 30s on the highway. They are nice cruising cars.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My wife drives an 05. Its been a super car but is getting tired.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mine is a 2013 with 122,000 on it...   30 plus almost always...   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
For me personally I don't haul a lot of long cargo in the box any more.   I have had extended cabs with the 6'2" bed and do not mind them.  If I want to haul a sheet of plywood I either leave the tailgate down or slide it in over the tailgate.    I had a club cab long box and hated it. The thing was like driving a train and forget about parking in most places.  Turn radius was about the same as a freight train. 

I now have a GMC Club Cab 4x4  with the 6'2" box and a topper that fits nearly everything I haul.  As for the 4 doors.  After having one I can never see myself not having one again.    The back seats are very comfortable with lots of leg room for the times you would like passengers.  As mentioned, the back seats fold up.  Under my back seats I have a storage locker that keeps all the stuff organized.  This stores all that "stuff" that used to just be strewn around the truck or tucked under the seat with hopes it stayed there.  IMO the best of both worlds.  Comfortable enough for long drives and hauls what I need.

« Last Edit: June 06/03/23, 07:02:11 AM by Scenic »