Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Archery Opener  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Who's going? Getting excited to try out the new area. It's been a looooong time, if ever, that I hunted archery opener...typically I do a destination archery hunt for a week in late Oct. I've done zero scouting in our new area, so I'll be taking to the woods after sunrise. If trucks are in the parking lot, I'll probably wait until lunch or try a different area.

Anyone else heading out?

Also, If any WI archery hunters are in here, I got some questions that I can't find in the regs. I could probably call the DNR...but you guys probably know more than they do!  ;)
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know what's wrong with me this year, but I just ain't into it yet.  Maybe that will change with more cooler temps, but not so far.   I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I used to hunt south metro and that is now a CWD management zone. 

According to the DNR's draconian regulations, you can't take a carcass out of a CWD management until tested negative.  :angry: That pretty much kills opportunities for folks that don't live in that zone.

The State Legislature - working cooperatively with the DNR and Ag Departments - should have gotten ahead of deer farms spreading the disease across the state 10+ years ago, but they didn't and now we have to deal with this $#!T-show of stupid rules trying to stuff the genie back into the bottle. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I am ready. Not sure if we are going camping yet or hunting. It will be the 1st time in about 20 years that I have hunted archery opener.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Last year was the first time I remember going on opener. Usually there's other stuff going on that takes precedence. This year it's my brothers 50th wedding anniversary party so I won't be out hunting that day. It's not a big deal for me because I hunt on my own property so there are no other hunters (other than friends and relatives) to compete with. Also, it would be hard to shoot a buck on the first day knowing it pretty much ends your bow season.  :rotflmao: I could shoot a doe but this early I would only shoot a doe without a fawn and sometimes that's hard to determine.

Last year I watched this guy chowing down on turnips on the first day of the season.
I did not shoot him for the reason stated above.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
with the summer i've had after i bought that crossbow  :pouty: :doofus: i havent had time to do anything with it, so it's gonna wait till next year. that way i got all winter to get it setup and shoot!!!!  :doofus:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Archery season runs thru Dec 30.  I don't reckon you'll draw an antlerless tag in your zone this year.

If you want to put a doe in your freezer this year, maybe that crossbow is your ticket to filling that desire - and you have the rest of Sept and all of Oct to get it dialed in.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Archery season runs thru Dec 30.  I don't reckon you'll draw an antlerless tag in your zone this year.

If you want to put a doe in your freezer this year, maybe that crossbow is your ticket to filling that desire - and you have the rest of Sept and all of Oct to get it dialed in.
my brother invited me out to his place in Wisconsin to hunt chronically wasted deer!! :happy1: :rotflmao: I am going to take him up on it. I'll fill the freezer.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I was checking...  Isn't it $165 for the out-of-state tag and something like $20 for each doe tag?

I don't know what they charge for testing or what the regs are for moving carcasses (unlike MN :angry:).

WI has a really good interactive website map to show where CWD cases have been reported.

CWD PREVALENCE TRENDS

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
my brother lives about 25 miles south of Wausau in Mosinee along the sconnie river.

its an on going joke between us about chronically wasted deer. to the best of my knowledge there hasnt been issues where he is at.

i will get a good discount on my license as it will be the first time i've hunted wisconsin. as far as the anterless tags.....he'll pay the resident rate for as many deer i need.........and i'll pay him!!!

he just built a new house and he has deer in his yard all the time 6-10 at a time. he is right on the border kinda of agricultural and forest.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like there was only one positive test between Wausau and Steven's Point.  Like Dirty Harrys says...  "Do you feel lucky?"

If you start posting-up goofy stuff next February after you've been eatin' on that deer a while, we'll now sumthin's up.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That could explain my brother's behavior now and then!! :rotflmao:

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
After some OnX online scouting, I found a natural funnel. Unsure how it looked in person, the area turned out ok. 5 doe and 3 jakes on the first sit. Had one large doe within bow range, the others were pushing 50-60 yards. Got about 2-3 hour window tomorrow morning, than it’s time to install the dishwasher, unpack more supplies, and clean the cabin.

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Fork and a small 6 paired up. Got within 10 yards…that gets exciting hunting from the ground.

Coming from rifle hunting northern MN and seeing like 2 deer all season, buck fever hits when even those little guys come thru! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
a dishwasher in a cabin?????? :scratch: :shocked: man thats livin the high life!!!!!!!!!! :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
a dishwasher in a cabin?????? :scratch: :shocked: man thats livin the high life!!!!!!!!!! :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Lol, just free’s up more time…to get other projects done.  :thumbs: :pouty:

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
I've had the same dishwasher for the past 43 plus years.......... :rotflmao: :coffee:
mm

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sounds fun. Encounters like this can really get a guy going. Good luck. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***