Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: DNR updated trash on the ice law.  (Read 4548 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Big changes are coming for all ice anglers this winter! A new law is in effect related to storing garbage and other waste (in all its forms) left on the ice. While the impetus for the law was increased dumping of sewage from permanent fish houses, it will affect all ice anglers, regardless of the type of shelter they use. Specifically, people using an ice shelter, vehicle or other conveyance on the ice may not deposit “garbage, rubbish, cigarette filters, debris from fireworks, offal, the body of a dead animal, litter, sewage or any other waste outside the shelter, motor vehicle or conveyance, unless the material is placed in a container that is secured to the shelter, motor vehicle or conveyance, and not placed directly on the ice or in state waters.”

The law is aimed at ensuring everyone who uses the ice can do so without encountering garbage and other substances that are not only a potential environmental concern, but an eyesore that takes away from a quality experience for winter recreationists of all kinds. During the winter, complaints about litter left on the ice are among the most common that DNR conservation officers receive. They take these complaints seriously and work to locate violators. The penalty for a violation is a petty misdemeanor and carries a fine of $100.

Make a plan to store your garbage when you head out ice fishing. If you can’t store it inside your vehicle, bring colored garbage bags, a sturdy waste receptacle that won’t break in cold and the proper tools to secure them to your shelter, motor vehicle, snowmobile, trailer or other vehicles you drive out on the ice. Garbage and human/pet waste do not belong on the ice. Take off what you take on! Read the new statute at https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/97C.363.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
Great law. I just hope they are able to enforce it. Wish the Fine was more that 100.00. The dog poop is going to be a interesting one. See this one all the time. I like dogs as much as the next person, But not a big fan when people bring their dog out fishing and let it run all over the place. I’ve had dogs pick up and carry off fish ( Good training by the owner if that was something taught ) Had dogs pee all over my tires and almost anything laying on the ice, Had them get tangled up in my line, ect. Like anyplace else, If you can not control your dog, Leave it at home or tie it on a leash.
"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, I think the fine should be bigger too.

I don't think a guy should get fined $1,000 for flicking a cigarette butt, but I can also see guys poo-pooing a mere $100 fine and still leave a weekends-worth of trash on the ice on the off-chance a CO can track them down and catch them.  I guess my point is, we've all seen piles of trash.  I don't think the inconsiderate types of folks who would do that sort of thing in the first place will be deterred by a $100 fine.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Well. I am still going to tinkle on the ice while I am out ice fishing. Hope that is not a problem.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
Well. I am still going to tinkle on the ice while I am out ice fishing. Hope that is not a problem.

I really don’t think stopping peeing on the ice is the major focus of this Law. It may be somehow included in it, but I don’t see it being a conservations officers main focus on enforcement.

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
I like many people dislike when the government has to try and control people by way of Laws. In a ideal world we would not need laws and everyone would do the right thing in the 1st place. But we live in a far from Ideal world. I do agree that a law without any plans or means to enforce it is worthless. In the case of litter on the ice ( and many other areas as well ) something really needed to be done. Just far to many total slobs in society. I for one sure hope they put a lot of effort into enforcing this law this winter. They may find that they have to increase the fine for it to have any real effect, and I’m more than fine with that. Far to many good people spend time picking up after slobs. I appreciate that, but it really should not be necessary.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I do agree that something needs to be done. We get plenty of trash wash up on our shoreline in the spring. I have picked up plenty of garbage off of the ice too. Sickening. My only concern is an over zealous CO that tickets someone because they peed on the ice. Me, I'm just going to say I spilled a beer.  ;) :rotflmao:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Definitely needs to be more that $100.  I think if most had the choice they would rather pay the $100 and leave their crap on the ice after a long weekend.  Start talking $250 and you would see more respect for it.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
This a good thing, tomany dont care, but also people th do try, and just a garbage out side thier door to grab it when they pack have realize the wind has now displaced it all over the lake. It need to be confined in some recepticle that is weather resistance
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I do agree that something needs to be done. We get plenty of trash wash up on our shoreline in the spring. I have picked up plenty of garbage off of the ice too. Sickening. My only concern is an over zealous CO that tickets someone because they peed on the ice. Me, I'm just going to say I spilled a beer.  ;) :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: thats alcohol abuse buddy!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Cookie had a little on this in his report early today too. With as much traffic as URL sees this time of year, I can see where it would be a big problem there. :sad: I agree, a bigger fine will probably be needed. :pouty:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Sorry to everyone who steps in it…but my doggie poop will be staying on the lake. I’ll kick some snow over the top of it though. 

🤷‍♂️
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I would like to think logic and common sense would make this law unnecessary. I should come back to reality.
      That being said, I usually walk around a boat ramp or fishing area with a trash bag picking up other people's trash.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Sad to say ,but the only way you will end this is to ban anything bigger than a one man hub onto the lake, and, they must pay a 100 dollar fee before being allowed on it.
Jerks will be Jerks regardless of how you paint the picture, then of course are the tuna boat operators on open water who dump their tanks, my answer is if you can prove who did it, take away their state ID number and ban them from operating on state/county waters.

However, when a state depends on taxes and Iowa isnt any better by any stretch of the imagination, tax dollars speak volumes.

Offline EyeguyBB

• Minnow
Sad to say ,but the only way you will end this is to ban anything bigger than a one man hub onto the lake, and, they must pay a 100 dollar fee before being allowed on it.

Interesting post, so you are requesting a ban all hard side ice houses.  Resorts can no longer have rentals?  Can groups of one man ice shelters be within a certain distance?  Do you want to impose a charge of $100 dollars every ice visit, per lake, or yearly fee?  Isn’t this what license fee is for?  Will this thought process also include open water? Only one fisherman per boat?
I really don’t see how any of this thought process will stop people from littering on the ice or open water. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
welcome eyeguyBB, introduce your self to us in the new member thread.. 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hello eyeguyBB,  What I should have said is ban any and all ice houses but that is unrealistic isnt it?
The sad part is in any walk of life there will be slobs and those slobs know that someone most likely will pick up after them and if they dont, the slobs dont care, piss poor parenting.

To answer your questions, yes, raise the prices and fines high enough no one will want to go, theres an old saying, cut the head off of the snake and it cant bite anyone anymore.
I personally dont want to see anything get to the point that bans like I suggested get put in place, its a dang good time on the ice with friends and family, and, it is not that difficult to carry out what you brought in.

There is another forum where poop on the ice is a big deal and yes it is, why??
Poop regardless of who or what it came from is a nutrient once introduced back into the soil or water and there is plenty of that already with ag run off and over fertilized lawns, you are seeing that I am sure.
The other thing wrong with poop is that it carries bacteria and diseases if the animal is sick, worms are another thing to consider and by now you should know that dogs for whatever reason like to eat poop and now if that dog ate some bad sh!t it will be sick.

Offline EyeguyBB

• Minnow
Hello eyeguyBB,  What I should have said is ban any and all ice houses but that is unrealistic isnt it?
The sad part is in any walk of life there will be slobs and those slobs know that someone most likely will pick up after them and if they dont, the slobs dont care, piss poor parenting.

To answer your questions, yes, raise the prices and fines high enough no one will want to go, theres an old saying, cut the head off of the snake and it cant bite anyone anymore.
I personally dont want to see anything get to the point that bans like I suggested get put in place, its a dang good time on the ice with friends and family, and, it is not that difficult to carry out what you brought in.

Hello Iowaboy1,
Thank for stating that your post is unrealistic.  You are basically promoting stopping the sport of fishing and boating.  Like you said  slobs will be slobs, raising fees on the majority of people enjoying the outdoors will not change that.
There is absolutely no reason to cut the head off the majority of people enjoying the outdoors to stop a minority of slobs.  By now you should know that punishing the majority does not stop the minority.

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You are correct, but we need to start having a blanket party with the minority.

Offline EyeguyBB

• Minnow
You are correct, but we need to start having a blanket party with the minority.
I agree, the original post pics are disgusting, we have all seen it.  I am tired of coming home with more than I brought out due to slobs.  Unfortunately I don’t see these law changes making a difference.  It is already illegal to litter, doesn’t stop them now. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so is the one and only eyeguyBB a certain smurfy knows from elsewhere????? the same one that puts the beatdown on panfish?????? :scratch: :scratch:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline EyeguyBB

• Minnow
so is the one and only eyeguyBB a certain smurfy knows from elsewhere????? the same one that puts the beatdown on panfish?????? :scratch: :scratch:
Nope

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope
:happy1: :happy1: hit the new mwmbers thread and do an intro!!!!!! :happy1: