Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Working on a hexagon blind  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
This past week my wife took my two daughters on a trip to California to visit her brother and  to celebrate my older daughter finishing her last semester of college. While they were on their girls trip, I decided that I would begin building a new enclosed deer stand. Keep in mind I won’t be heading back to our hunting land until May. I figured I can putz around on this blind when I am bored throughout the winter. For some reason I have been wanting to try and build an octagon or hexagon blind. After thinking about it for an afternoon I decided to make the hexagon (less walls and less windows to frame out. I will build this blind so I can take the sides down in panels and make it easier to transport to northern MN.

Here are some pictures of my progression. I am making it out of scrap wood my son and I have accumulated. I plan to put some metal sheeting on the outside as siding and the roof for it to last longer. My son works construction and has some left over sheeting from a work project.

I built the bones of this blind in my garage but then took it apart and moved it under my deck because my wife wouldn't want one of our cars sitting outside all winter. It is basically 6'x6' but in an hexagon shape. The tallest side is 6'6" and the shortest side is 5'10". I am thinking I will make the roof a square shape on top with a few inches of overhang on each side so there is a drip line with the metal roof.

I will update this post as I continue to work on it all the way until it is in it’s permanent spot on our hunting land by Upper Red Lake. It will be elevated 5-10 feet off the ground. I have some ten foot treated 4x4 posts but not sure I want to go the full ten feet up with them.

So far, I haven't invested any addition $ into what I have completed. As I mentioned earlier, it's just scrap materials we have lying around.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of how I plan to make my own similar windows. https://youtu.be/aOgstjZsE7A?si=Whg6DrzpUiZwBnuH

Let me know what you think. Feel free to give me advice. Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12/22/23, 01:54:00 PM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks great!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :happy1: but I might Ave to start calling you boar Jr!

:doah: :rotflmao:

Dotch said it! :sleazy: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very nice and thanks for the pics.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Looks pretty comfortable and heavy. It should serve you well.
      You should not set it up in your garage, though. Put it out near a deer or turkey travel lane. Aren't I helpful?
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Either that, or plant a food plot in front of the garage door.   :bonk:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Some good progress. Looking nice
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the report Outdoor Junkie. "For some reason I have been wanting to try and build an octagon or hexagon blind". Well, what was the reason? The challenge, better visibility, or just because.  :rotflmao: Actually, on our way back from hunting yesterday my son and I discussed this very topic. I saw Running has a 4x6 "stump" blind on sale for $2000 and we discussed where we would put it if I bought it. Once we figured out a good spot, we figured that due to this location we could build it on the spot. Humm,,,, Let the planning beging. LOL.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
What are your plans for the windows. I'm toying at building one of these on location next summer.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
What are your plans for the windows. I'm toying at building one of these on location next summer.

I am going to try and build DIY windows like these in this video: https://youtu.be/aOgstjZsE7A?si=M3KiQKDuxfUjSzql
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Here’s an update on the progression. I have framed out the windows, added the door, made the windows out of extremely durable polycarbonate clear sheets & hinge them from the top. They are 20” wide and 16” tall. I left the protective coating on until we put it up in the woods. I put garage door seal trim around the outside of the window with the rubber gasket up against the polycarbonate. I framed out the square roof with a six inch overhang. I through a red tarp over the top. I will be putting metal sheeting on the roof and outside walls. It’s coming together nicely.
« Last Edit: March 03/25/24, 12:39:15 PM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
This past weekend I transported the hexagon to our hunting land in northern MN and with the help of my parents, uncle, and aunt, reassembled it in the woods, added the metal roof, filled in holes with expansion foam, built and attached the steps. We cleared a couple shooting lanes and I will eventually add metal sheeting to all the outside walls so that it will hold up for many more years. Overall, I’m really happy with how it turned out.
« Last Edit: June 06/06/24, 03:07:49 PM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks great. Not too sure about your choice of cross bracing though.  :rotflmao:
I will try to get some pictures of tear down and erection. I'm planning on using 10-foot 4x4's for the posts. I may cut them back a bit because the deck is almost 7" so if I cut them to 9 1/2 feet, I will be standing at about 10".