Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: I'm learning at 61...  (Read 1589 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Okay,
Many of you know me personally, and I like to be as transparent as possible when it comes to this site.
I feel that it's the best way to run the site and be as honest as possible.
Friends know me as being brutally honest, and some folks don't like to be told the truth....but....

As I posted in another thread, our tech-guy has passed away from a long battle with cancer. So I have been working hard to figure out a way to put this back to where I feel good about the safety of the site. The gentleman that will be taking over the server, was and has been a long term friend of Les (the tech-guy) and myself for around 10 years and has agreed to help this old dog learn new tricks. Now keep in mind, the server is located in the UK and the learning curve is going to be slow because of the time difference......BUT, I did complete my first back-up of the site that I have ever done before! (yeah, me lol) This must be done at least weekly (he said daily, but baby steps)

So, just to let you know....I'm trying my best to keep this site going...

We are a couple updates behind on the SMF (our platform) so, that will be the next thing to learn. Steve (the guy that will be taking control of the server) said that he will be happy to try and teach this function as well. With that said....that requires a bit of down time to do the updates. I have always warned you guys when Les would do the updates so you wouldn't be shocked if you couldn't log in. So, please be patient when I get to that point.....I'll let you know ahead of time.

So, like I said, I want to keep you aware and in the loop....this way you can't beat me up later  :rotflmao: (Glenn will do it anyways)

I'm just a one man band running the Barnum & Bailey Circus  :whistling:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the heads up HD.  Sure hope it all works out. 

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks. Best of luck.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Thanks for the update. :happy1:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Thanks bud.  :happy1:

Well someone gotta keep ya on your toes! :sleazy: :nerd: :happy1: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Was kind of wondering where you were at with this. Glad you found some help & you are keeping us up to date. :happy1: You do a good job, HD, so keep doing the best you can & we'll just roll with it. :cool:
« Last Edit: December 12/24/23, 07:22:56 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
awesome!!  my hat is off to you sir!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I echo gunners sentiments. I'm patient. I've had livestock most of my life & and am married to a half-blood Norwegian. I don't have a choice.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the update HD. Best of luck to you learning! We appreciate all that you are doing!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
So, I have been having conversations with Steve about teaching me the stuff that Les did....
I then brought up that Les has a program on our website to upload, resize images called TinyPix. (attached is a picture of the icon)
I know a few of you have used it, I found it very useful to post the pictures on the front page for the Lake Of The Woods Fishing Reports.
Anyways, Steve told me that Les had kept this on a totally separate server than our website.
What that means is, Steve never had access to it, and may not be able to get control over it.
He said that he was going to reach out to whomever it goes to, to see what he could do....regardless he is going to try to keep it working.
If he can't get it, we may have to try and find what SMF calls a "mod"...basically an "app" inside the forum platform.
It's still working for the moment, and I'm sure that Les's family is still working through all of the details of his passing.

Just one more thing to work on............
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been using Tiny Pic lately.   The other way worked great too.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Tiny pix is the only one I knew about.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I use the tinypix feature but never did figure out how to post a video. Maybe that's a good thing.  :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm thinking that it's time for an update....

I believe I've got a handle on keeping the site running....sort of....  :rotflmao:
I have mastered the site back-ups that need to be done at least weekly (in case the site takes a dive)
The actual updates to the site platform....not so much.....it requires me to create a "back-up site" to make sure everything works properly before releasing the upgrade....that part kinda scares me....but, I'm working on it.

Anyways..... I need to let you know, that the "typical forum maintenance" will need to be done, and I need to schedule a time. So, I'm letting you know that I will be preforming this task every Monday around 3 a.m.

What does this mean to you?
Well, when this goes through the process....it kicks everyone off of the site to clean out the cache and update the logs....basically, repairs any errors and makes the site run faster.

so.... if you are on at that time....you get kicked off......sorry for any inconvenience....

I do want to publicly thank everyone who donated money to the site! The domain and server fees came up this year, and I used that money to cover those fees  :happy1: Thanks to you all! You ROCK!  :rocker;

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thank you and I will donate again when it's needed!!! 

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Thanks, HD. How can someone donate if the don't have them online payment app things?
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just click on the donate thing and use any credit card.  Easy to do, works great.  Good news HD.  I admire the heck out of you for being able to keep things going and to understand how to do it.  You are a very talented man in many ways.  Thank you very much!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Click on the Home Page and at the top you will see the Donate thing.  Click on it.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the update HD. Thanks for all you do, this Busch is for you!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
iffin i'm donating...i'll mail it to him or i know where he lives...... :evil: :sleazy:

just find the place that doesnt have any squirrels!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
not because of you!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: