Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2024 gardens  (Read 47205 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'd say our garden here is about 3 weeks to a month behind last year roony. You always start your garden before we do... :pouty:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Can you plant radishes this late?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes, I might wait a bit.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yes, and I agree with roony especially when it comes to spring type radishes such as white globe, scarlet globe, cherry belle, etc. For the winter radishes such as red meat or watermelon radishes, let 'er buck. I'd like to get some in ahead of the forecast rain, along with some snap peas, lettuce & mesclun mix, etc. The bunny I shot last nite looked pretty skinny so they must need more to eat.  :doah:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I was just wondering cuz I pulled my onions 🧅 and now I have some free real estate.

And since I pulled up the 🧅, I'm not impressed.... A little on the small side for what I expected. I don't think I'll grow those next year.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
new mini onions!!    :rotflmao:

Glenn asked me to say that by the way...    :happy1:
« Last Edit: July 07/27/24, 12:42:38 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Another 5 quarts done 👍

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I picked 3 cukes off my Cross Country plant today. I'm calling it a win.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Finished up planting 5 14' rows of snap peas (1 sugar snap, 2 Sugar Daddy, 2 Super Snappy) & 3 rows of watermelon radishes. Then I went purslane hunting in the rest of the garden with the hoe. Time for a water break & wait for it to cool down before thinking about seeding any more. Damn straight it's a win, roony. I ate a string bean while I was weeding. There's a zucchini set on one plant. I see 3 tomatoes I should bring in before something happens to them. Wasn't so sure we'd get anything the way things started out.   

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
One corner of the garden from Saturday. Like I tell people it looks pretty good for the end of June. End of July? Not so much. Forgot Poppy photo bombed that pic. 3 maters tonite, 2 Jet Star & a Super Fantastic. Break out the cottage cheese!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: July 07/29/24, 08:14:01 PM by Dotch »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our tomatoes only have 3 or 4 on each plant.  Hardly any branches on them too. ???

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
LPS.....i got some like that too. its frustrating. i'm starting to think i got them planted to close to my black walnut tree??? :scratch: :scratch:

but i have some plants that look like jungle plants and 4 ft away and those plants look like there dying!!!!! :confused: :doah: :angry2:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Your greenie beanies look good Dotch!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
My tomato plants are loaded with fruit. No ripe ones yet.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Your greenie beanies look good Dotch!

They seem to like that spot. Was surprised the bunnies didn't find them. Too busy eating the sunflowers off I guess. Getting to be like glenn though. I watered the small garden the other nite & got a small amount of rain. I'll water the big garden tonite. Should get more rain that way... :coffee:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Bunnies here have had a second litter. Little ones running around again. 3 of them went on a vacation on Sunday.
« Last Edit: July 07/30/24, 11:38:41 AM by KEN W »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Bunnies here have had a second litter. Little ones running around again. Shot 3 of them on Sunday.
Since this is a public forum and the season is not open.  We may want to use terms like.  Sent 3 on a long vacation or something like that!  :shocked:  :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a couple  mangy looking bunnies around here. They haven't messed with the garden even after I took the fence down.

Haven't seen youngins either.  :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Bunnies here have had a second litter. Little ones running around again. Shot 3 of them on Sunday.
Since this is a public forum and the season is not open.  We may want to use terms like.  Sent 3 on a long vacation or something like that!  :shocked:  :happy1:

Actually think we're OK here, at least out in the land of rocks and cows... :coffee:

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwith_wildlife/rabbits/index.html#:~:text=Minnesota%20law%20allows%20landowners%20or,in%20a%20new%20browser%20tab.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwith_wildlife/taking.html#:~:text=Squirrels%2C%20rabbits%20and%20hares%20can%20be%20taken,to%20be%20reported%20to%20a%20Conservation%20Officer.
« Last Edit: July 07/30/24, 11:13:45 AM by Dotch »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep... those danged squirrels do serious damage to my bird food inventory.  :rotflmao:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Leech, it's ok to trap mice too.
I got a bat that was terrorizing my wife last night. It went to the promised land.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I will dispatch pine squirrels on sight, fox squirrels get a pass.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok.....will you modify to what I changed in the quote.

Going to start spraying repellent out again.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Normally I leave the fox squirrels alone too. However, this group seems to be suffering from inbreeding depression. They've been eating the grape jelly & that irritates me. Never done that before here. The other thing this bunch does is to gnaw off ash and silver maple sticks about 12" - 18" long with the leaves still on them. Then they try to fashion a nest out of them. About half of the sticks don't stay in the tree so they litter the backyard with them. The twigs need to be picked up before mowing or they can make a nice hole in the vinyl siding if you're not careful. With 24 hp on a 48" deck, that zero turn flings stuff a long way. The thing that makes me think they're retarded is the fact that ash & silver maple leaves last about like kleenex before decomposing. The brighter squirrels use oak leaves that are like leather & last until spring.     

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Onions hanging till October

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Melon Patch......the largest there is OrangeGlo oblong.
Orange, Yellow, and Red watermelons.

Tomato plant.....Saucey Paste tomato...also have....Celebrity, Siletz, Manitoba, and Sheyenne.

Also there are Cantalope, Galia, and Santa Claus Melons.

« Last Edit: July 07/30/24, 01:26:02 PM by KEN W »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Leech, it's ok to trap mice too.
I got a bat that was terrorizing my wife last night. It went to the promised land.
What's your point, did I say you couldn't. 
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I built another raised garden box over the weekend and my wife planted three more rows of green beans for a fall harvest. We’ve been getting a lot of green beans the past 2-3 weeks but she wants more. Our raspberries are winding down. The zucchini are producing a lot. Our tomatoes are still green. My potato plants are growing like crazy. Our cucumbers are flowering and our pumpkins are taking off finally.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Pulled my onions today also. I'm happy with their size!