Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2024 gardens  (Read 15496 times)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thinking I'll get extra radishes next week and carrots so as to roast them together!!!     :happy1: :happy1:
« Last Edit: June 06/08/24, 07:19:19 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Got back in town in little bit ago, I hate to say it but the garden could use a little rain ...

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Got back in town in little bit ago, I hate to say it but the garden could use a little rain ...
yep.. working on giving it a drink today!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh good lord!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We ran otta town over the weekend and the fields west of town are flooded, ditches are full. Poor pheasants,  I hope they re nest..

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Got after it last nite with the tiller and planted a big chunk early this a.m. Got 8 rows of sweet corn in. Planted 8 hills each of buttercup squash, Howden pumpkins & Jack-O-Lantern pumpkins into the tilled strips. Also planted 9 hills each of Jack-Be-Little and small mixed gourds also into tilled strips. If I get a chance, I'll try to get a 3 or 4 row planting of beans done, a few winged gourds, zucchini, and cucumbers. Still cannas & 4 o'clocks to plant if there's time.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Put in 16 hills of cukes, 4 hills of zucchini & managed to get 2 rows of beans planted just before it rained. Covered a lot of real estate in a hurry this a.m.  :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice going! Lots of cukes! Had some heavy rain here.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ya, would've been a lot happier with the quarter to a half forecast. At least we've got a good chunk of planting done if the rain didn't wash it all down the hill. Thought maybe we'd get sideswiped rather than T-boned.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Put in 16 hills of cukes, 4 hills of zucchini & managed to get 2 rows of beans planted just before it rained. Covered a lot of real estate in a hurry this a.m.  :coffee:
If you don't mind me asking, what In the world will you do with that many cucumbers and zucchini? That's a lot.
I got a GED. I couldnt speel deploma.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ya it's a bunch if they all come up. They usually do. Used some year old seed on the Green Dragons. Some two year old seed on the Straight 8's & zucchini so seeded a little heavier just in case. We have several friends who make a lot of pickles. Cukes and vine crops in general take up lots of garden space. With the zucchini, since people know we usually have some, there's a demand for the smaller sized ones from those who like making and freezing zucchini bread. One of them turns 95 in August. Couldn't tell by looking at her but her gardening days are behind her after moving to town last fall. Been supplying her with zucchini, buttercup squash & string beans for years anyway. It always seems too someone has a garden failure (bunnies, deer, turkeys) or didn't get one planted for whatever reason. We both like cukes. Eat a lot raw ourselves. Zucchini works great on kabobs and it won't get much fresher than coming from 40' away. If stuff gets overgrown, the pasture fence borders the garden. The sheep gorge themselves on corn husks, as well as monster cukes & zukes. 

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      That makes sense. Good for you.
      My wife and daughter will donate some of the excess veggies to a couple of local food shelf's. That might get reduced to one since one shelf always calls them and thanks them for donating. The other shelf has never acknowledged the donation.
      My wife has been told to sell at one of the local farmers market. Too much hassle. She likes just giving the veggies away.
I got a GED. I couldnt speel deploma.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Put in a couple more rows of string beans in the main garden last nite along with 6 rows of 4 o'clocks in the small backyard garden. Plenty damp but have been surprised sometimes over the years after doing everything wrong. Warm temps & more moisture so the ground doesn't crust shouldn't hurt. If it holds off long enough, may mud some cannas in after the feed run.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Unreal. The friends whose daughter is working with the lambs showed up this morning just after my feed run. Misael, the Mexican stepdad, was along so while the girls were working with the sheep, we planted a couple washtubs full of canna bulbs just ahead of the rain. I gave him 8 bulbs to plant as well. He brought along a couple jars of his salsa for us to eat. Then we had some beers. The end... :happy1:  :rotflmao: 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got my first batch of cilantro in the dehydrator today  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Planted 5 tomato plants finally last nite ahead of the rain. Need to scrounge up some peppers next. Bunnies are hungry. We have a half dozen 'maters including the patio tomato the wife has. It must be a patio tomato. It's on the patio anyway... :scratch:
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:03:31 PM by Dotch »