Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2024 gardens  (Read 47740 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've got a few with a pitchfork. Happened to be lucky enough to see the ground moving as the moles were going thru the tunnel.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
With all of your spare time that sounds like the way to go.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
With all of your spare time that sounds like the way to go.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :whistling: :whistling:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Technically you could actually sit in a borrowed lawn chair and do it.  May take a cocktail or two though.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm darn sure Dotch would run out of moles before he would run out of gin.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What's the best way to kill these moles/voles.... every fall, they chew up my yard with their trails just under the sod. I've tried those nail driving traps, but they don't seem to be getting the job done.

Here's a couple releases from Extension on mole trapping. I've got a couple different kinds of traps. I've found the loop trap to be completely worthless and the other is the harpoon type trap they talk about on the fact sheet. I've had varying degrees of success with it. Apparently when I've had success it's likely been sheer luck. There is another type of trap, sort of a scissors-type looking affair my brother swears by. It's the kind of trap I don't have so can't say personally how they work.

https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/how-trap-moles

https://conservancy.umn.edu/server/api/core/bitstreams/fd1be1b0-eeba-4928-8e13-f208c48a4eeb/content

My wife got one of those scissors type traps off of Amazon. It was very hard to set. I tried it several times with little success...then, one time I tried to set it, it took a chunk of hide out of the tip of my finger.... after that, it went into the trash.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Technically you could actually sit in a borrowed lawn chair and do it.  May take a cocktail or two though.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

What are these lawn chairs you speak of?  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Been in this house 20 yrs, and last fall was the first we had them bastages.  They say a drought year with lots of watering will bring them in. I did the granular, plus crushed there tunnels.  This spring the yard was fine, but we'll see going forward.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Been in this house 20 yrs, and last fall was the first we had them bastages.  They say a drought year with lots of watering will bring them in. I did the granular, plus crushed there tunnels.  This spring the yard was fine, but we'll see going forward.
:scratch: :scratch:first time in 20 years you had lawnchairs???????  :doah: :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We had guy in our crew back in the Caddyshack days that was really good with those harpoon type traps. He'd crush their tunnels to see where they were actually working & then set a trap or 2. They were often really bad around the greens & tees in the dry years, but I'd swear he got ~ 3/4 of the ones he set a trap for. :scratch: :confused:
« Last Edit: September 09/15/24, 07:20:37 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon