Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Am I missing something  (Read 861 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I looked at the DNR web site for information on the 2024 turkey seasons and lottery information.
To my surprise, the only information available is this.
However, the do have information for the FALL 2024 turkey hunt.

"Wild Turkey Lottery - Spring
Application deadline second Friday in February.
You do not need to enter the spring lottery for most wild turkey permit areas. With the exception of the Carlos Avery, Mille Lacs and Whitewater wildlife management areas, all spring turkey permits for all seasons will be sold over-the-counter beginning Sunday, March 1. Read the complete rules (PDF)
Wild turkey hunt information"

There is NO information regarding the 2024 spring seasons other than the February 9th deadline to apply for the lottery. Thats just three weeks away. Strange that they don't have the information on the site this late in the game. Maybe they thought it would be nice to put it out when the Vikings were hot into the playoffs.  :rotflmao:

"The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has announced that the fall turkey hunting season will be open statewide in 2024. The season will run from September 30 to October 29, 2024 1. Licenses for the fall season will be available for purchase online, in person, and via telephone starting from August 1, 2024"
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ha, I found more information. If you go to the site and select "Big Game" and pick "wild turkey" you get squat. However, if you scroll down to "upland birds" and then pick "wild turkey" you get the 2024 seasons. Go figure.  :confused:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Sometimes the DNR site sucks, it's just hard to find stuff.....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
"One Minnesota!"  :rolleyes: :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
They have always been slow about updating the website.  Now that the lottery is mostly gone for turkey, they are even slower.

It is really tough to make long term plans if u have to wait for the MN dnr website.

Other "hunting" states have their act together, publishing their dates and holding lotteries so people can make plans.

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Oh how I love turkey hunting. It’s right up there with deer with me. Problem is, the last two times I went, it’s was a blizzard!
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Pulleye16, sounds like you need better planning.  :rotflmao: Just kidding. Actually, today's liberal seasons should help considerably with scheduling your hunts. First you get one full week of your choice. I usually pick one late enough to make sure the weather will be nice. And then you can also hunt the last 10 days as well. That's 17 days of shotgun hunting. Of course, if you select bow as your weapon, you can hunt anytime from April 17 - May 31. Also don't forget there is a 30 day fall hunt as well.

This picture was taken a couple days before the 2023 fall season.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Beautiful shot.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
when turkey hunting just started to be a thing....... about 33 years ago.......cause i just got remarried...... :sleazy: that's how i remember......i really got into it. had to head to southern Mn. i got one right away......but iffin i want to eat turkey.......i'll get a butterball. my goal was to get a nice Tom for a full mount..........well now i'm about done wanting anything mounted at my age.

yea no cougar jokes!!!!! :tut: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: the second bird i got i made jerky.......takes a lot of turkey to make a 5 lb batch!!! :doah:

not sure why but i just not into it anymore!!!!!! :pouty:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Deadeye,

I have to put PTO months in advance so it’s hard to play the weather.  But I love the late season option, bagged a nice Tom the weeeknd before memorial with perfect weather…though the skeeters sucked!

I put in for A season again but may try archery so if the weather sucks, I’ll still have weekends free to hunt another.  🤷‍♂️.

My goal is to get the grand slam (over my life span, not in a year). 🤞🏻
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Pulleye16, I understand completely the work issue. Having been retired for a while now I sometimes forget to that people can't just look out in the morning, see the sun shining with the leaves barely fluttering and say to yourself "I'm going hunting today".  Same goes for fishing and whatever other outdoor activities you enjoy.  :azn: