Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: knife sharpeners  (Read 2019 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
any of you guys use electric knife sharpeners??????

i'm looking a good one. my brother has a SMITH  electric sharpener i was totally impressed by the results. and i'm not easily impressed!!!  :rolleyes: :rotflmao: i've checked FF and Runnings......they have the belt version, not interested, already have one and they take the tip away!!

going to look at Scheels today.i can find them online if i google them.yea screw that!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I bought one of those Ken Onion Work Sharp ones but haven't used it yet.  Getting close though as I have some dull knives.  There are a lot of videos on them.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I have no idea how to put a link to it but, there's a YouTuber called Project Farm that did a video on knife sharpeners not too long ago. You might want to check it out.
      Good luck.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
He has a lot of good comparisons.  Good guy.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well..i watched it.........it got confusing after a bit........i seen first hand what that smith did. i'm sold. i bought some of those Accusharps....... i'll lake the yellow smith version over them.

i still use a steele alot too but they are for fine tuning!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
      I have no idea how to put a link to it but, there's a YouTuber called Project Farm that did a video on knife sharpeners not too long ago. You might want to check it out.
      Good luck.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I've got a Ken Onion belt that works pretty good.  The thing is, you can still wiggle the handle as you draw the knife back which affects the sharpening angle.  Also, it can be tricky sharpening the tip of a clip point knife as you have to rotate raise the knife handle as you draw it across the belt.

That Lansky looks like a good bang for your buck.  The guy in the video says his unit cost $88, but I saw cheaper ones on the interwebs.  I'll have to double check later if they are the same models.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I use a stone and a diamond hone. Why make it complicated?

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We have 2 Chef's Choice sharpeners but they're older(110) model #s, 1 here & 1 at the lake. I have an older Presto 1 kind of like the 6th 1 on this list in the fish house that seems to work pretty well too. https://buyersguide.org/knife-sharpeners/t/electric?msclkid=e13c111a1f6f14fb673c74a70da8f4bd&m=b&d=c&c=85006540198763&oid=kwd-85007044891236:loc-190&qs=chef%27s
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I do use a steel almost every time I use a knife.  Even the serrated ones. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:when you clean as many fish and deer as i do in a years time...sometimes ya just need to go a step further!!! :sleazy: :happy1:

gunner......i've been kinda eyeballing that 2nd one on that list. think i have actually seen them in the stores!!  :happy1: i might not buy it though cause you got one!!!! :mooning: :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: J/K!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Because I'm not that good at sharpening.   :pouty:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:when you clean as many fish and deer as i do in a years time...sometimes ya just need to go a step further!!!
In your dreams pal

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:when you clean as many fish and deer as i do in a years time...sometimes ya just need to go a step further!!!
In your dreams pal
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: i think your underestimating my abilities bubba!!!!1 :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
I have had the electric Work sharp sharpener for a long time. Its been good but it does tend to take off more metal than I like. I recently bought a stone set off Amazon. It has 4 different grit stones and a strop. Its taking a little time to get the hang of hand shapening but i'm getting there. The key is to learn the correct angle to use. My set came with a guide. Once you use the guide a few times you start to get the feel for it. I had one of the lansky systems and it worked well, but a lot of mess getting it setup and changing from one stone to the next
"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
My youngest daughter is teaching herself wood carving - basswood stuff. 

She swiped my Japanese water stone, which I used for honing wood planes, and she wore that out sharpening her carving knife.  For Christmas she asked for a new set, so I got her 3 Japanese water stones of various grits:  220, 1000, 6000. 

For all of that, I should have her sharpen my knives for me.  ;)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have a Smith at home, works great!  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Found this at Scheels. Played with a few knives. At first thought WTF. BUT I needed to run them through several  times. The angle musta been outta wack on the knives, niw! :happy1:

Offline fishingstar

• Outdoorsman

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I visited the Cabela's site. It wanted to confirm I'm 18 years old or older. To look at a knife sharpener. It shows the store as being in Hammond,IN, though. Not real far from my old stomping ground.
      I was 18 just 50 years ago. Boy, I'm old.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Found this at Scheels. Played with a few knives. At first thought WTF. BUT I needed to run them through several  times. The angle musta been outta wack on the knives, niw! :happy1:
     :scratch: So your knives were just like you.......................a little of outta wack? :rolleyes:          ;) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 02/03/24, 07:59:32 AM by Gunner55 »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
      I visited the Cabela's site. It wanted to confirm I'm 18 years old or older. To look at a knife sharpener. It shows the store as being in Hammond,IN, though. Not real far from my old stomping ground.
      I was 18 just 50 years ago. Boy, I'm old.
Heaven forbid if you were only 13 years old and saw pictures of guns. 

Think of the damage to society that would cause!

I think we can all agree that it is better this way.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
     :scratch: So your knives were just like you.......................a little of outta wack? :rolleyes:          ;) ;D ;D
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: like i posted earlier.......iffin ya clean as many fish and deer as i do, them knives are bound to get outta wack sooner or later!!!! :sleazy: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline infamousdave

• Outdoorsman
Best thing to sharpen knives is a set of stones if you have the time and patience and not sharpening too many at a time.

I suppose you don't come through Belle Plaine anymore Glenn since you are retired but if you did, you could drop them off and I would be happy to sharpen them for you.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: thanks Dave. Yea being retired  I don't travel that way. My travels pretty much head north these days. Not that I'm complaining! :happy1: :rotflmao: