Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: The Gripe Site  (Read 103472 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
she mow the yard in her Daisy dukes??   :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: i dont look and tell!!!!!! :rotflmao: i dont need Dotch coming here preying on her!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I'm surprised you get by with it!!   oh wait that's why the wife leaves ya alone so much!!   now we really have to wonder what goes on up north!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
« Last Edit: December 12/23/20, 09:26:18 AM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I'm surprised you get by with it!!   oh wait that's why the wife leaves ya alone so much!!   now we really have to wonder what goes on up north!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
  :bonk: Not me, 1 word mike, I N G E R!!        :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd:                        ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yea I was wondering about that!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: :tut: :doah: :banghead: :banghead: they wont let me near there. they keep telling me they want to save themselves for there toyboy gunner!!!!!!!!! :smoking: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: :tut: :doah: :banghead: :banghead: they wont let me near there. they keep telling me they want to save themselves for there toyboy gunner!!!!!!!!! :smoking: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:tut: :mooning: :pouty:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: :mooning: :pouty:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :mooning: :evil: :evil:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
meh. figured i'd resurrect this one!!!!!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: so went down to the grocery store, brought the plastic bags down for recycling.   :scratch: :scratch: no bin???/ i thought what the hell. asked and the guy says they dont do that no more. ran into an older feller with a big kohls bag full of them bags and told him not to bother, he looked as baffled as i was!!!! :doofus:

got home asked the wife if she seen a recycle bin at cashwise when she was there........she didnt notice one and seen another shopper look also. so......they went into the recycling bin with all the rest of the plastics, ef them.

cant believe as hard as they push them plastic bags vs the paper bags there is no source for recycling. stupid if ya ask me. yea gotta almost slap them upside head to get them to use/bag your stuff in paper. just gonna be more in the garbage into landfills......then more whining about that.  :crazy: :confused: :doah: :pouty: 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they still recycle them here.. 

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Been awhile for those bins here momma tells me. We didn't use many anyhow,  the little we got they got used in bathroom garbage cans etc etc. Here they want em in the garbage cans and not recycling. We end up reusing the paper bags for recycling,  dog poo, and my lunch bags so they get used.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here, but we don't change out the plastic bags every week in the small wastebasket. Use the brown paper bags for the main wastebasket. When I go to the store I make them put the stuff in paper.

I'm pretty hard core recycling. So you say they'd just as soon put the plastic bags in the garbage,not recycling  :scratch: I can do that too

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya I hear those little bags jam up the sorting machines at the recycling plant, and also harms the equipment so they just chuck em. I say quit producing them. When we go to Wallyworld we usually bring our own bags, just doing our part.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We should do that to, we got enough of them kind of bags

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
The problem with most grades if plastics is poor markets for them. 2019 was a tough year for all recyclable commodities snd 2020 was a complete disaster. The cost to collect , sort, and bale has to be covered by the selling price and that was not happening. Single stream recycling greatly increased the cost to sort things into the individual components. Bobber’s right about plastic film like bags—they tangle around shafts and plug screens used in the sorting process, causing downtime.
The reason that stores push plastic is based on economics. Plastic bags are cheaper than paper sacks and lighter weight. Inbound freight costs are less and they also take up a lot less room to store before they are used.
The increase in oil prices may stimulate plastic recycling markets, since  virgin plastics are manufactured from petroleum. Don’t see that happening in a big way, though, in the near future.

Online Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Great post FW. Stinks that money and cost rule the game,  everywhere. Well our cable just went out , friggen Comcast.  I don't watch TV much but when I do it best work!!
« Last Edit: July 07/25/21, 06:46:13 PM by Bobberineyes »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
There's a big bin made out of Boar's favorite material ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: at that store glenn likes sooooo much ;) :rolleyes: :laugh::scratch: I think almost every WW store I go in very often still takes 'em. :confused:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We got some collapsible bags at menards and never looked back. I take them grocery shopping, fleetfarm, wally world and menards.

When done, collapse them down for the next trip. They fold flat and get stored in the back seat of the truck or car.  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We got some collapsible bags at menards and never looked back. I take them grocery shopping, fleetfarm, wally world and menards.

When done, collapse them down for the next trip. They fold flat and get stored in the back seat of the truck or car.  :happy1:
think that's what we are going to start doing.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
There's a big bin made out of Boar's favorite material ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: at that store glenn likes sooooo much ;) :rolleyes: :laugh::scratch: I think almost every WW store I go in very often still takes 'em. :confused:
nice to see you poked to bears in one shot. :confused: :pouty: :tut: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:                                                                                                                   

We have a few soft sided coolers that we use as shopping bags a lot, especially for our groceries.
« Last Edit: July 07/25/21, 07:02:14 PM by Gunner55 »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
we use the one's HD talks about too..  and take a cooler with too..

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The problem with most grades if plastics is poor markets for them. 2019 was a tough year for all recyclable commodities snd 2020 was a complete disaster. The cost to collect , sort, and bale has to be covered by the selling price and that was not happening. Single stream recycling greatly increased the cost to sort things into the individual components. Bobber’s right about plastic film like bags—they tangle around shafts and plug screens used in the sorting process, causing downtime.
The reason that stores push plastic is based on economics. Plastic bags are cheaper than paper sacks and lighter weight. Inbound freight costs are less and they also take up a lot less room to store before they are used.
The increase in oil prices may stimulate plastic recycling markets, since  virgin plastics are manufactured from petroleum. Don’t see that happening in a big way, though, in the near future.
I generally agree with everything you said, except for the economics of the plastic vs paper. I do agree plastic may be cheaper but I ain't buying the fact grocery stores don't take onto account in there pricing of there products the price of paper bags

I don't ever recall grocery prices going down when the plastic bag was introduced

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to be in the business.  As mentioned they are a pain in the butt to try and process.  The only time it is even an issue is if your area burns garbage.  Then they try to keep plastic out of it.  For the rest of us who's garbage goes to a landfill it is a completely different issue.  So crumple up a paper bag and then crumple up a plastic bag.  Which one is smaller.  No contest, it is the plastic.  It takes up much less room in the landfill.  Things do decompose in landfills but not like people think.  That paper bag will look just like it is in 50 years. Kitchen waste does degrade to an extent and creates the methane that burns off landfills.  In my mind someone in an office in California created the guilt trip with plastic bags to justify their job.  It does have some merit but not that big save the world thing like some think. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, think I remember you saying that before.  :happy1: I'm made a decision to start using bags I can reuse instead of the plastic bag. Now to get my wife on board.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I generally agree with everything you said, except for the economics of the plastic vs paper. I do agree plastic may be cheaper but I ain't buying the fact grocery stores don't take onto account in there pricing of there products the price of paper bags

I don't ever recall grocery prices going down when the plastic bag was introduced

Groceries are a high volume, low margin business. Like most businesses, they are not going to pass cost savings on indirect costs through to customers. I don’t think I heard of any prices dropping for consumers after the Trump tax cuts were put in place.
As for the retailers that still take plastic bags being returned—that’s more of a feel good thing done for their customers and a public image thing for them, hopefully making them look “green”.  The cost to take trash to the landfill is volume based. The bags tossed into the trash compactor don’t take up a lot of room, so there is not anything in the way of additional trips, and the light weight of the bags does not significantly increase the per ton cost of disposal.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mercedes-Benz has a new plant in Tuscaloosa, Alabama that's built on a landfill & they developed a system for capturing the methane gas coming from it. They're using it to at least partially power the plant.

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
Why are people such pigs?  This morning the McD's parking lot was a mess and every morning at the landing, we have to do a clean up.  Yesterday there were 5 huge bags of garbage that some good souls collected along the river.  This is a weekly event. 
And I can't believe that when there is a recycling bin and a trash bin side by side how many get confused as to which one to use.
And here is a picture of what was collected along the Mississippi River near South St. Paul by someone.  This is the 3rd collection this summer.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree GT, some people are outright pigs, slobs and don't seem to give a crap. We see it up north alot. We can go for 4 wheeler rides and easily pick up a bag of trash, and that's in the woods or even boat landings.

We usually do and when I head home 1/2 the garbage I bring home is someone else's  :confused: :confused:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed G.T. just think of all the crap we don't see dumped in the river...this summer's low water level will highlight what lies beneath,outof sight out of mind type thing,working in the hood of st paul for years,residents would just leave they're garbage,furniture,old broken bikes etc out in the ally for the city to carry off,sad state of affairs.