Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: ok seasoning question.  (Read 5144 times)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i had a buddy give me so.e of his taco burgers he made. he hasa pattie attachment on his stuffer, whic i am now getting. he mad 100 lbs of taco burger and 100 lbs of pizza burger. this stuff is all fresh and frozen. so i thawed out a package slapped them on the gill and they were delicios. BUUUUUT. its apparent that the seasoning mix had cure in it. cause the fully cooked product had that rubber texture you get from cure. my question is why would you need cure in the mix when you make it fresh the frozen and cook fully.to eat?  whats difference if i make a batch of seasoned meat an and cheese the freez it for later to cook.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
never seen taco or pizza seasonings with cure, I'm sure it's there but the ones I have seen made were for fresh meat.
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
right, i figured that for sure. im wondering tho, he has a sausage shop make his mix which dose a ton of different sausage flavors which would use cure. in the mix, so maybe this is what hes gettin without thinking he can get it without cure also
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ok, does he mix all his own does he buy pre-mixed?  if it's pre mixed just read the label (ingediends) and it will say you will see cure in it, lastly just ask him.

RH need your thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 03/15/17, 07:52:29 PM by mike89 »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
oh i plan on it but. i gusse my  question is is need for.fresh meat mixes. i think not
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: my screen is all cloudy!!! :scratch: that boar thinkin again???????? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and that's what you want for fresh.  dang I'm starting to understand boaranese!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Boy, that's a scary thought!  :shocked:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
mike....its the harleys brother!
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That's because you were suppose to take the wrapper off before putting them on the grill. :bonk: face_plant-2139.gif :rotflmao:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
That's because you were suppose to take the wrapper off before putting them on the grill. :bonk: face_plant-2139.gif :rotflmao:
hehehe!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't understand why there would be cure in fresh burger mix.  hard to say without asking the guy who made it and why  Nothing wrong with putting cure in as long it is the proper amount.  Cure 1 does enhance flavors and it does give the meat a pink color.  A hardy pink color when cooked/grilled.  Cures are used in mostly smoked sausage smoked at low temps.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
RH, that is what I was thinking, thanks!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
right, thatsnwhat i beleived too. what has now transpired is, my freind taco mix for sausage and just made it into burger paties.  uthi g wrong with the pattie, but when it comes.to.bjrgers im not a fan of the rubbery textur, you know what i mean. i think its just not a big deal to him.
78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
was also think if the sausage shop is held by liability unless specified.. that his mixes if sold are to have cure.
78.50"

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Do the patties come from a larger batch that might get stuffed into casings and smoked?  Otherwise, like the comment above, perhaps it's just a safety precaution thing?

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
was also think if the sausage shop is held by liability unless specified.. that his mixes if sold are to have cure.
Thats what I'd guess boar SAFETY from lawsuits.My uncle an dad did cures in sausages in their shop just for that.They also called it fresh in bulk or cased.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
fresh, no cure in it, is the normal route taken

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
fresh, no cure in it, is the normal route taken
Ya if the counter is expected to sell out within a coup;e days.If not add saltpeter an prolong shelf life

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that I understand, but then you are working with older meat vs fresh, right?

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
that I understand, but then you are working with older meat vs fresh, right?
No if they ground up 50-60 lbs and expected to sell 1/2 today and the rest within the next 3 days add nitrate and yet keep beloe 38degrees just for safety well an to keep color didnt use red dye #5. then

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ok I see better where you are coming from.  thanks for bearing with me and questions

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
what i mean by fresh is  the mix is to used in meat that is mixed then frozen fresh the other being mixed the smoked, cruleys sells season in kits my smoked or fresh. like a braut mix, some of the best braut ive had are from a kit, that yu mix, then stuff, then freeze. no smomen involved.
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
curlys is good and yes they have both styles of seasonings and each has their place to use.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
lmao of mike, yur response was that of.."just nod and smile" cause even i had a hard time understanding my last post.lol!
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
There is a reason Curley and other seasoning places sell fresh and smoked seasonings seperatly.  One is with cure [smoked] where the packets of cure are separate from the seasoning but in the same pack.  the other is sold as fresh which has no cure.  Having no cure is designed to be cooked over hot temps.  Cure is in smoked seasonings because of using low temps to smoke/cook it.    I don't know of any fresh sausage that has cure in it.  Salt yes but no cure.  Shelf life of fresh is usually 4 to 5 days in the meat counter.  Normally they are pulled on the 4th day and reduced for quick sale.  They are still good then, but a shelf life has to be maintained in the store. 

When I make fresh sausage I make it and freeze it in vac packs and use it as i need it.  I would not see a reason for putting cure in hamburger for use as patties.  I have never seen this.  Patties are sold frozen or fresh.  With fresh there are date's provided on the pack and when close to the date of experation, as I said before they are reduced for quick sale.  Frozen also have a shelf life.  Freezer burn is the most often cause for pulling them.  The packs they come in for sale in the freezer are never meant to be frozen for a long time.  I have been in the meat buisness for many many years.  Sold a ton of burger in various forms [bulk/patties] and never once have I seen or heard of cure being used for shelf life.  That would be redicules in my opinion of anyone doing this.  good luck.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i agree reiny. i think that my buddy know know difference. cause what he, i assume is doing, is taking that little bit in the stuffer tube, and stuffer, making a sample pattie, loves it, the buys the same seasoning to make patties.. i agree 100 percent. ivenhad his patties
 delicious no doubt. but i knew ther was no need for cure and not a fan of the rubber pattie. thanks guys for all ur input
78.50"

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That is different boar. I spose if you don't like how the burglars turned out you can always chop them up in a skillet and make tacos or pizza burgers ...Pre seasoned and ready to go. :happy1: