Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Red lake ice conditions NOT SAFE !!!!!!!  (Read 1599 times)

Offline pheasantman2121

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Ok, It's on the Bemidji Pioneer so, I'll post more details now:

Emergency crews are en route to Upper Red Lake to assist fishermen who are drifting across the lake.

By: Pioneer staff report, Bemidji Pioneer

Emergency crews are en route to Upper Red Lake to assist fishermen who are drifting across the lake.

Two men were ice fishing on Upper Red Lake when the ice broke apart, presumably due to the wind, according to early reports. The call came in after 10 a.m.

The Bemidji Fire Department is bringing its Hovercraft and other emergency personnel are responding.

"We're just trying to get some assets there before they sink," Sheriff Phil Hodapp said.

The men are on a piece of ice west of Shotley, said Hodapp, adding he wasn't certain how thick the ice is currently.

For all your HVAC needs contact me at
763-587-5796

Labs 4 Me

Offline pheasantman2121

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Update from Bemidji Pioneer....

SHOTLEY - Two fishermen are back on land after the ice they were on broke and began drifting on Upper Red Lake this morning.

"They were in 9-feet of water on a piece of ice that is sinking," Beltrami County Sheriff Phil Hodapp said. "They were in about as dire of a situation as you can be."

A call shortly after 10 a.m. reported the men were drifting across the lake and emergency crews scrambled to get equipment to rescue them. One of the concerns was the wind and reaching the men before the men sank into the lake.

The Bemidji Fire Department sent its Hovercraft and emergency workers from other agencies also scrambled to get to Upper Red Lake to assist. In addition, there were calls for at least one helicopter to join in the search and rescue effort.

About 11:30, a dispatcher reported the fishermen were back on land.

The men were on a piece of ice west of Shotley and north of Pioneer Road, Hodapp said.

It isn't clear how thick the ice was that the men were on, he said.

"It's not thick enough, especially on Red Lake, to be out there," Hodapp said.

The lake may have ice on it, but Hodapp said the wind came up this morning

For all your HVAC needs contact me at
763-587-5796

Labs 4 Me

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Here in waskish we have some great looking ice. The least I have found the last two days is a solid clear 12 inches. My california house and florida are sittimg on 14 inches in 8 feet of water.
There are a few cracks/pressure ridges that need tp heal up so a guy needs to keep a eye on them at this time. I'm sure all the resorts would love to start letting vechicles out but with those cracks its better to be on the safe side at this time
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net