Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: spearing 2021  (Read 9339 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i believe spearchucking is legit starting tomorrow, Nov 15...........anyone setting up there house!!!!!!!! :smoking: :rotflmao: :doah:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Whats the release success rate?
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
100% when you just watch a fish go by.....
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
100% when you just watch a fish go by.....
:happy1: yep.. and I bet for every fish I take I let 10 swim on.

I may take a bigger fish now and then, nuttin like frying up boneless nords, but my target is those little buggers that the DNR want gone.

This guy goes through a lot of smoked and pickled pike, when I have them. And I like to share. :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Whats the release success rate?
IF you stick one, about the same as a gill net  :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
very true!!   

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Da fish let ya measure em before ya harpoon em?  :laugh:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :pouty: ok you damn instigator  :pouty: :rotflmao: no they dont, but iffin ya got any idea of fish length you can mostly tell..........thats why its legal in spearing to have an oops!!!!!!1 that one between 22-26 inches....... and i can honestly say ive used it only twice!!!!! :happy1:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :pouty: ok you damn instigator  :pouty: :rotflmao: no they dont, but iffin ya got any idea of fish length you can mostly tell..........thats why its legal in spearing to have an oops!!!!!!1 that one between 22-26 inches....... and i can honestly say ive used it only twice!!!!! :happy1:
Keep it up I'll take my ball and go home!! Oh wait, I won't. You harpooners get a free pass for f'n up? Wonder if I can play that card for catching my meal the correct way..  :moon:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Keep it up I'll take my ball and go home!! Oh wait, I won't. You harpooners get a free pass for f'n up? Wonder if I can play that card for catching my meal the correct way..  :moon:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: awe....the lawbook says it legal........not f'n up!!!!!!! :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That's crazy, just can't see the dnr handing out I can't judge " a pass.   Man we use to mess with you guys on the ice. See a spear house and start drilling holes, the auger kept running.  Hole hopping we were doing! Lol.but haven't done that in years, was fun tho.
« Last Edit: November 11/14/21, 03:48:44 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'd drive my wheeler or snowmobile over someones holes!!!!!!!!  :sleazy: :mooning:

but i dont spear usually anywhere's close to others fish...................... :happy1:
« Last Edit: November 11/14/21, 03:59:20 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Miss spearing, good luck, glenn besafe!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I always wanted to try spearing. Think it would be fun.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
it is JB. watching the behaviors of the different varieties of fish is sometimes comical as all get out. then when you get a pesky little snot rocket that wont go away i like to take the decoy and mess with him.  :smoking: :sleazy: :rotflmao: kinda like messin with boar!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :evil: :rolleyes:

to me its never been to spear everything i see!!!!!!!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Glenn, do you use a chainsaw to cut the hole and push the pieces under the ice? Do you move the house every time you set-up and cut a new hole?

I was in a spear house once but it was 60 years ago, I don't recall how everything works.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Glenn yur a snott rocket..
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, do you use a chainsaw to cut the hole and push the pieces under the ice? Do you move the house every time you set-up and cut a new hole?

I was in a spear house once but it was 60 years ago, I don't recall how everything works.
we've cut the holes about every which way imaginable. started out with the chisel 100% not to bad till the ice gets 18 inches thick.
then we went to the chainsaw.
then with the auger we'd drill the holes close together, chisel the rest.
NOW we auger the 4 corners and use an ice saw!!!!!!

NO, absolutely not, i dont push the block under the ice...........i personally believe it affects the fish. i did it by accident once. we pull it out with ice tongs, then goes back in when done. depends on where we are fishing i may mark the hole with a chuck of brush. most lakes i go to arent traveled much.

lastly, generally speaking yes i do move the house everytime i set up to a different spot on the lake, however, if i stay on the same lake no.....i leave it on till we are done fishing that lake. only time i may move my house on the same lake is if i get the urge to try someplace i've never been to on the lake.

typically early ice we will fish a lake for a couple days then we head off to a different lake, especially lately since t he cabin lake has had 2 severe winter kills.

providing there is good ice, i'm going to set up on our lake and another lake up the road that had winter kill, just to see whats happening, i could care less if i  get my spear wet.........i wanna see how the fish are progressing!!!!!! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
spearing is kinda like having an underwater camera......only spearing is like live TV!!!!!!

couple years ago  we  had a little G-T-G down in dakids neck of the woods. i didnt spear but used tipups. i brought my underwater camera along. i seen some nice sized fish, and laughed my butt off on some that were goofy. but yea frustrating to see a nice pike come up to your minnow, only to swim away.

i can certainly see why some have a hatred for spearing.........but i'm NOT one of those guys that throws the spear at everything that comes through!!!!!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Thank you for the explanation.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman

JB,just be mindful ifin ya do try spearing heading out hung over,many stories of a hung over chucker falling into his open hole.lol

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

JB,just be mindful ifin ya do try spearing heading out hung over,many stories of a hung over chucker falling into his open hole.lol
you must fish with some real boozers snow!!!🤭 :rotflmao:

Never heard of it.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Snow must know I like my Beer!!  :sleazy: :rotflmao:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

you must fish with some real boozers snow!!!🤭 :rotflmao:

Never heard of it.

me either!!  so 2nd ya!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I do hafta admit we sat in a dark house as teenagers fishin sunnies in that big hole, kinda neat seeing the big picture under the ice. Although it never was my game to stick a fish, I guess I'd rather use my electronics to entice em. Good luck!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Glenn (or others) being a dope I have to ask....where would a person buy a ice saw? Anybody have a picture of one?

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
L & M had at least 3-4 different styles last year.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dutchy, Google fishtoys ice saws. I just did. Think sheels carries them. It's the one I have

Not sure where winger MN is from you but that's where he is at. I've had to send mine back to him for resharpening.

IF you buy one make sure it's a good one. At one of the last ice shows I was at I talked to the guys at reeds,they had sold some that where junk and alit of guyz brought them back.

Think there's a n outfit in Monticello that sells them  too. My stepdad and buddy have one but there nowhere near as good as fishtoys.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, if I remember right :doofus: 1 or 2 of L & M's looked to be thrift models but they had at least 1 or 2 that looked to be much better made IMO as well.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon