Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: First European mounts done!Just finishe up my first 3 euro mounts  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Misky

• Outdoorsman
Just finished up my first 3 euro mounts last night. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, just thought I would share.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
« Last Edit: April 04/12/11, 04:04:04 PM by dakids »
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Misky

• Outdoorsman
DAY 1 -Simmered with baking soda and dawn dish soap for 3 or so hours each and everything came right off.(taking them out every 15 - 20 min to pull off meat and all the goodies)
DAY 2 - rubbed borax on all the little hard to reach spots that still had meat or cartilage so it drys up.
DAY 3 & 4 - 20 min with a airgun and and exacto knife and dremel to get the teeth and hard to reach spots clean. Then I put them in a small tupperware and coated with 40V peroxide cream for 48 hrs( adding or re applying to certain areas with a brush a few times a day).
DAY 5 - rubbed brown shoe polish on the antlers for color, I was going to put a Non-yellowing clear coat on but someone said I should wait a month and see if and grease comes out first. They said I should have de-greased with soap and warm water for a few days first before I whitened, I will let you know how my turned out in a month.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Very nice!  My brother has this done to most of his bucks and his taxidermy guy sprays the entire mount with a clear coat of some kind.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
can't say that I've ever put anything on after it's out of the peroxide.. all mine look fine and some have been that way for over 10 years.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
Nice work Misky! I would be proud to display those mounts in my home

I have my 10 pt from last years hunt and also the doe skull that is the first deer shot by the son of one of my best friends who both hunted with us this past season.

He doesn't know that I saved the skull. I am going to do a nice European mount on it for him with an engraved plaque with the date and his name and give it to him as a surprise.

I have a friend who is a hair stylist who can get me the 40 volume developer (peroxide). If i do the cream developer is that all i need or would it be better to use the liquid developer and mix it with Basic White to paste consistency? I'm not sure if the Basic White adds any extra whitening power to the 40 vol developer or if I can just use the 40 vol cream developer by itself and be good?
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Misky

• Outdoorsman
Try this link Scott -  http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,125076.0.html
I wish I would have read this first it would have saved me some time but I think my will be just fine. I will use heat next time!

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
Try this link Scott -  http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,125076.0.html
I wish I would have read this first it would have saved me some time but I think my will be just fine. I will use heat next time!

i will hopefully be looking for that this fall i think a lot of people will do it them selfs because if you mess up just put it on a mount without the skull

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club

Thanks for the link Misky, that seems like a pretty straight forward process that anyone can do if they have the desire to. I hope to get at least the doe skull done this weekend sometime to get myself more familiar with the boiling and stuff and then I'll do my 10 pt after that. Thanks again!  ;)
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Misky

• Outdoorsman