Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Whatchya smokin  (Read 104812 times)

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Sorry, I don't remember.  Certainly not so much that it made a mess that I noticed.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't think you got it hot enough to do that..   the chubs would have shown that...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder if powdered milk is the key. I see Scenic mentioned it, and Reinhardt uses it with everything from sticks, sausages and brats...Sausageheavenoutdoors.com. Although he's blending pork butts and beef with Venison.
« Last Edit: December 12/22/23, 05:39:01 PM by Bobberineyes »

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
That looks like plenty of fat. As you say......maybe to much cook time. I have a copy of the Sausage Makers Bible.......
"Great Sausage recipes and Meat Curing."  By Rytek Kutas from "The Sausage Maker." in Buffalo. Originally printed in 1984. His Venison Summer Sausage recipe says to cook until Temp. of 145. That's what I go by. Turns out good all the time for many years. I will give you his recipe.

As for powdered milk....Bobber is correct. I add it to all my sausages.
EXCEPT for Summer Sausage when I add powdered Buttermilk to get the tangy taste of Summer Sausage. I also add 1 pint of water for 10 lbs. Not 1 cup.
« Last Edit: December 12/22/23, 05:43:28 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Rytek's recipe....10 lbs of meat. I have also used a premix Summer Sausage Seasoning from Cashwise Grocery Stores.

1 Tbs Black Pepper
5 Tbs Salt
2 Tbs Powdered Sugar
2 tsp Pink Cure
1 Tbs ground Coriander
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp ground Ginger
1 tsp Garlic Powder
6 Tbs Corn Syrup Solids
4 Tbs Fermento or  Powdered Buttermilk mixed in
1 Pint Water
The sugar and corn syrup give the bacteria in the Buttermilk something to feed on. So it should be allowed to ferment in the fridge for 2-3 days.

I am guessing your recipe would work fine. But to taste like summer sausage it needs sugar and buttermilk. Oh and I also use powdered smoke. And cook in the oven. You can buy it on line. No more guessing and wind up smoked to strong or not enough.

With no fermenting you are basically making a version of Salami. That's OK too but not really summer sausage.
« Last Edit: December 12/22/23, 06:43:35 PM by KEN W »

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Steve, how did you mix that and with what kind of mixer??
I am no expert but it to me it looks like it was mixed too long almost turning into a puree like you would want for hotdogs.
Either over mixed or too many passes through the grinder plate or wrong size plate???
You mentioned being way to salty, I am curious if you used to much curing salt??
That stuff has to be weighed or measured perfectly per pound batch weight.

I always use plenty of water, not to the point of being able to wring it out but close, it stuffs much easier especially with smaller sticks and I have never had it shrink up.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good questions!!   :happy1:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Steve, how did you mix that and with what kind of mixer??
Just mixed it by repeatedy running it thru the grinder.
I am no expert but it to me it looks like it was mixed too long almost turning into a puree like you would want for hotdogs.
Agreed.
Either over mixed or too many passes through the grinder plate or wrong size plate???
3 or 4 passes thru the plate with the big holes with 1 pass thru the small hole plate.  Because the meat/fat was not ice cold, i see what they mean about the fat "melting" into the meat after the last pass.
You mentioned being way to salty, I am curious if you used to much curing salt??
First i used sausageMaker.com's (pink) instantcure #1 according to package directions.  My googled recipe also called for some amount of kosher salt.  I didn't have that, so i used some "good" crystalized sea salt we had, again according to the recipe amount.
Then the recipe suggested encapsolated citric acid as a substitute for fermento (or Ken's powdered buttermilk) to give it tang.  I didn't know exactly what encapsolated citric acid was, but my wife had powdered citric acid in her natural supplement chem kit, so i used an equivalent amount of powder.  And let it sit overnight.
All of that together, no doubt, led to the too salty flavor.

That stuff has to be weighed or measured perfectly per pound batch weight.
I'm living and learning.
 :cheesy:

I always use plenty of water, not to the point of being able to wring it out but close, it stuffs much easier especially with smaller sticks and I have never had it shrink up.
I added a splash of water, because I thought i should, but no where near enough.
Hey, confession IS good for the soul.   :angel:  And you learn stuff too!   :happy1:  Thanks.  I can't wait to get to the next batch.

Thanks, Ken, for posting your recipe.
« Last Edit: December 12/22/23, 07:32:08 PM by Steve-o »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
only 2 times threw the grinder is a good way too do it...

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Aint enough JD in the world for me to confess anything!!

Yes, too many passes through the grinder is your biggest issue, that is how you make hotdog meat with smaller plates.
If you have to mix by hand, this is how I did it before I bought a mixer that attaches to my grinder,.
Place the meat in a large tub and flatten it out as much as possible, mix your seasonings with water and pour half of it over the ground meat, start folding the meat over itself several times, and flatten out again, add the rest of the seasoning, repeat the folding process until you feel comfortable that it is thoroughly mixed.
 Add additional water as required for stuffing, caution on the seasoning packets:
 Depending on what you use you have about twenty minutes after mixing before that stuff starts setting up and it can be a bugger to run through the stuffer.
I have never let it set overnight to meld, and I find no need to, I might try that after it is stuffed though.

If and when you buy a mixer attachment, Do not mix anymore than absolutely necessary as you will toughen the meat.
Again, mix the ingredients with water, add half to mixer while its running, add the other half and mix again.
Add water as required so that it will stuff easily, sausage doesnt need as much water snack sticks and the like do.

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Another tip, you learned how to make glue by mixing warm meat and the fat you added.
Chill the meat before grinding, and this helps too, place the assembled grinder head in the freezer if you can remove it from the powerhead.
 Chill the meat again before mixing, use COLD water while mixing and stuff from there.

I will be brave and toss this out there too, if you havent already, for each grinder plate you have, buy a knife for them as well and keep them as matched pairs, trust me this will more than double the grinder knife life.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting you said that.  I only have a cheap grinder (and a cheap smommer).  I'm a rookie all the way.

But after seeing the way the meat went thru the plates the first time, smearing the fat and getting all clogged, i did take my plates and knife into the shop to flatten them the same way i tuned my table saw arbor washer.

The grinder performed much better after that.

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
More help if you want it.
When you tighten up the nut that holds the plate and knife in place, it doesnt have to be torqued down with a three foot bar, just snug, otherwise it will build heat and wreck the knife, if you are constantly plugging the plate with sinew that is a clue to the fact you are not trimming it enough.
The grinder will cut through some of it, smaller plates especially proper trimming is critical.
 What works for me, and again, I am no pro, coarse grind the meat and place in freezer, coarse grind the fat and place in fridge while the grinder attachment sits in the freezer for a bit, when its frosted over you know its ready.

mix the meat and fat thoroughly in a tub and run both through the grinder with the small plate.
IF it is still cold enough to chill your hands go ahead and mix it with the seasonings, stuff from there.

It took me five years to build the collection of tools I have now, all of it came from LEM products and with each step things got easier and faster, it would scare me to add it up but worth every penny.
 I have one piece that is priceless to me, its my moms old National #7 pressure cooker, I replaced the seal, safety valve, gauge and petcock.
That thing was built in 1938 !! and it still works great ! in fact I just canned five quarts and five pints of chuck roast this past weekend.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
That looks like plenty of fat. As you say......maybe to much cook time. I have a copy of the Sausage Makers Bible.......
"Great Sausage recipes and Meat Curing."  By Rytek Kutas from "The Sausage Maker." in Buffalo. Originally printed in 1984. His Venison Summer Sausage recipe says to cook until Temp. of 145. That's what I go by. Turns out good all the time for many years. I will give you his recipe.

You beat me to mentioning this.   IMO that is the best sausage bible out there.  There is so much information in that book.   Well worth the money.

Grinding:  We try to have our chunks just about at freezing when we are running them through the grinder.  Keeping everything as cold as possible is very important.  We even add shaved ice along with our water when mixing. 

As for placing the meat in the refrigerator to meld over night,  we do this AFTER it is stuffed in the casings. 

Sausage making is almost an art and you need the tools.   As Iowaboy stated "It took me five years to build the collection of tools I have now, all of it came from LEM products and with each step things got easier and faster, it would scare me to add it up but worth every penny."   I know it took me at least that long as well.  Started with a small grinder, then the next year we added a small stuffer  and then upgraded the grinder, then added a mixer and larger stuffer.  Then 3 years ago I bought a 30 lb. electric stuffer. 

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes.....I meant place in the fridge AFTER cooking it to let it get that "tangy"  summer sausage taste. But it won't unless the right ingredients are in it. If you look at the ingredients list on commercially made Summer Sausage you will see "Cultured Milk" or "Encapsulated Citric Acid" on it. Otherwise as I said it is basically Salami.

Don't get me wrong. I like Salami too. Basically Salami is 3 flavors......Smoke, Garlic, and black pepper. In fact commercially made Salami has peppercorns in it. But my grandkids didn't like biting into it and getting a mouth full of pepper. So I just add regular ground pepper.

I agree with all of the above about keeping everything cold. At this time of year.....just set it outside.
« Last Edit: December 12/23/23, 08:09:45 AM by KEN W »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is my version of summer sausage from the book Ken was talking about. That is a great book. You should get it.

SHEBOYGAN SUMMER SAUSAGE VENISON (Chris’s version)

Ingredients for 10 Lbs.

6 lbs Venison

4 lbs pork butts

1/3 cup salt

2 tsp. Insta Cure™ No. 1

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 cup ferment

6 Tb. Powdered dextrose

5 Tb. Corn syrup solids

1 tsp. ground black pepper

1 tsp. ground mustard seed

1 tsp. ground nutmeg

Ingredients for 25 Lbs.

15 lbs Venison

10 lbs pork butts

1 cup salt

5 tsp. Insta Cure™ No. 1

3 tsp. garlic powder

2-1/2 cups fermento

1 cup Powdered dextrose

¾ cup Corn syrup solids

2-1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

2-1/2 tsp. ground mustard seed

2-1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Casings

Use protein-lined Fibrous casings

Grind Venison and pork butts through a 3/8" or ½” grinder plate. Add all in- gredients to the meat mixture and blend thoroughly until evenly distributed. Place the mixture into a 38-40° F refrigerator overnight. Pack the meat tightly in a container eliminating all air pockets. After this period, remove the meat from the refrigerator and mix one more time. Then grind through a 1/8” or 3/16” plate and stuff into casings.

Allow the sausage to dry and cure at room temperature for 3 hours. (I will let hang overnight to dry and put in smoker early the next morning) Place in a 90° F preheated smokehouse and keep there in heavy smoke for about 10-12 hours. Then increase the smoker temperature to 150° F until the internal temperature reaches 138-140° F. Be sure to check the internal temperatures of several sausages from different parts of the smokehouse to ensure these temperatures have been attained. Shower the sausage with cool water to reduce the internal temperature to 90-95° F. Hang overnight at 60-65° to let bloom.

Hey look your bobber is up!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
To sum up.....
First......not enough water added.....1 pint for 10 lbs of meat
Second.....you probably cooked it too long.....145 degrees internal temp
Third.....add sugar and a fermenter

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Forth…..get the book!

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Pecan smoked spares

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks darn good Cooperman!!   got a 16 pound turkey and taters on the smoker here...   

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks really good Coop!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Looks awesome coop. Hope Mike posts his turkey.  :mooning: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man that does look good. 

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
looks darn good Cooperman!!   got a 16 pound turkey and taters on the smoker here...
Let’s see it Mike.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Mikey's  bird n spuds, looks great!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like he is doing it on his pellet smoker.  Looks great. 

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Bobberineyes, that's almost like the turkey pot pies I had. Almost? OK, nowhere near it. It does look good.
I got a GED. I couldnt speel deploma.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
OK Mike give us the details.  Looks great!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
nothing special, injected with a cajun butter flavor and a cajun rub on the outside smoked..  started at 225 and after a few hours kicked it up to 260 to finish it..   

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Great job Mike! Looks fantastic.