Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Second attempt at making snack sticks  (Read 693 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
The second time went way smoother than the first and took me 1/2 the time to grind the venison & pork (70-30 ratio), season it and then stuff it into the casings.

I took Scenic’s advice and ordered up some Honey BBQ seasoning from PS Seasoning and they are absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for the recommendation! My family loves them!

My 1st attempt at snack sticks was a couple weeks ago and with a pepperoni blend with 4lbs of venison & pork. They turned out good.

This second attempt was a 8lbs batch.

I did learn that my vertical smoker cooks hotter on the bottom rack. I had my temp. Probe in the meat on the rack above that.  So, the bottom rack got a little over done on their bottom side. They still taste good. Live & learn.

Thank you experienced sausage making members on here. I do truly appreciate all your insight and advice.

I’m really enjoying making these!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Those look great!  Good job. 

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Looks good.....I ordered some of that Honey BBQ from PS. Will try it next week.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Looks good.....I ordered some of that Honey BBQ from PS. Will try it next week.

You wont's be disappointed.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
The second time went way smoother than the first and took me 1/2 the time to grind the venison & pork (70-30 ratio), season it and then stuff it into the casings.

I took Scenic’s advice and ordered up some Honey BBQ seasoning from PS Seasoning and they are absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for the recommendation! My family loves them!

My 1st attempt at snack sticks was a couple weeks ago and with a pepperoni blend with 4lbs of venison & pork. They turned out good.

This second attempt was a 8lbs batch.

I did learn that my vertical smoker cooks hotter on the bottom rack. I had my temp. Probe in the meat on the rack above that.  So, the bottom rack got a little over done on their bottom side. They still taste good. Live & learn.

Thank you experienced sausage making members on here. I do truly appreciate all your insight and advice.

I’m really enjoying making these!

sounds great and remember ya can rotate them midway in the smoking process!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, those look great!! The addiction has started.  :happy1:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Those look great!!   Sausage making is time consuming but fun at the same time.  Biggest down fall of making a small batch is they don't last long enough. 

If you have not done so yet I would recommend you get yourself a note book and note what you did right and what you would do different.  For years we thought oh we will change this or do that again next time.  Well a month or year later you try to remember and poof its gone.  We have a note book now. 

Like JB mentioned..let the addiction begin.