Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: College Basketball  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
U Conn had their chances & blew it several times, from not blocking out on Clark's free throw, to the moving screen, to Clark bouncing the in-bounds pass off the defender Page's backside. All that in the last 10 seconds... :coffee: I questioned the moving screen when I 1st saw it. When I saw it from a couple different angles afterwards, it was pretty blatant. Iowa would've had a legitimate gripe if they hadn't called it & got beat as a result.

https://t.co/USr2An8XzW
« Last Edit: April 04/06/24, 10:02:52 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Yeah.....it was a blocking call setting a screen on UConn with 3 seconds left that gave the ball back to Iowa with a 1 point lead. Basically ended the game. Could have gone either way. Wouldn't have been a big deal if it hadn't been with 3 seconds left.
« Last Edit: April 04/06/24, 10:31:45 AM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
That wasn't the only time UConn was called for it in that game either. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 04/06/24, 10:52:15 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Hawkeyes got 'em by 7 at the line & by 8 on the boards.  :cheerleader:
i've been reading the FIX was in at the end with some controversial charging call!!!!!!! :doah: :sleazy: :rolleyes: :surrender: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:scratch: Is that the same guy that tells you that the Gopher's are going to win the Frozen Four every year too?  :sleazy: :nerd:  :mooning:         ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Hawkeyes got 'em by 7 at the line & by 8 on the boards.  :cheerleader:
i've been reading the FIX was in at the end with some controversial charging call!!!!!!! :doah: :sleazy: :rolleyes: :surrender: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:scratch: Is that the same guy that tells you that the Gopher's are going to win the Frozen Four every year too?  :sleazy: :nerd:  :mooning:         ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:
:rotflmao: at least they get there!!!!! lost in the championship game last year......were's iowas hockey team!!! :scratch: :mooning: :sleazy: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That didn't end well. Gopher women picked a poor time to phone it in. Mara Braun out for the 2nd game & it's not the same team. Nice they got some games & wins in after a disappointing regular season. Hopefully they can build on it & not lose a bunch of players in the portal. They could really use a hustling, playmaker, jitterbug guard like they had under Borton & Stollings. :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: I tried to watch the Gopher women, Dotch, but I could only get 1/2 way through the 3rd & had to change the channel. :rolleyes:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: I sure hope the men's Gopher hockey team does better than the Hawkeye's...............................................because Iowa doesn't have a men's.........................or women's team. :doah:      ;) :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
:pouty: I tried to watch the Gopher women, Dotch, but I could only get 1/2 way through the 3rd & had to change the channel. :rolleyes:

That was ugly & one of the reasons women's basketball can be so hard to watch. Desperation heaves at the backboard has no place at the college level. This Gophers team lived by the 3 & died by the 3 all year, mostly the latter when Hart & Braun were injured. They have some height which they used to lack but they are slow relative to a team like St. Louis. If they can recruit some speed, they could be competitive like they were earlier in the season.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
tuned into the womens championship game..... :crazy: :doah: could do without the 2 babblin broads off to the left!!!!!! :surrender: :bs:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I think they're great... 😉:rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I think they're great... 😉:rotflmao:
that was ESPN......i found it on 5 without them!!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy:

Dat tean from Iowa aint looking so good about now!!!!!! :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 04/07/24, 03:48:22 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looking a little grim...but wait, IA hits 2 three balls...then pukes it up.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
hellofa game though!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

for gunners benefit. I be routin for iowa  :evil: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
clarks doing some stupid shooting!!!!! :pouty: :pouty:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Pulled for IA here too. Good friend of mine's sister from Washington IA played BB for the Hawkeyes back in the early aughts. She's AAD at Yale now.
« Last Edit: April 04/07/24, 04:28:48 PM by Dotch »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they had a great run for sure all season!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
crazy.....heard on the post game SC lost all 5 its starters from last year....

pretty damn classy remarks from Coach Staley regarding Clark.....!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :dancinred: :rocker;
« Last Edit: April 04/07/24, 04:31:56 PM by glenn57 »

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Best team won.....to much size inside on the offensive boards. That 6'7" girl had 18 rebounds and a bunch of blocks.

38-0 is pretty good and ranked Number 1 almost all year. I thought Iowa would win the way the game started.....Clark having 18 in the first quarter. But So Carolina played good defense against her the rest of the game.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:pouty: Yep, SC was too big, too deep, & too good. Pretty cool Bluder got Molly Davis in at the end, easy to see that she was still favoring that knee too. :happy1:  Still, an awesome year!! :Clap:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Question,  will Iowa get a 2nd place trophy like high school?

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Way cool mikey! A buddy & I saw the South Carolina women's team at some sort of an invitational holiday showcase tournament at The Barn about 8 years ago. Each team played only one other team and luckily the Gophers didn't draw them. We saw them take the floor for warm-ups after Gophers game was done. SC had three black gals that were 6'5", could handle the ball as well as shoot it. We couldn't stick around to watch them play but they were scary in practice. Staley was the coach and you could see she had the players' respect.
« Last Edit: April 04/07/24, 06:33:39 PM by Dotch »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
South Carolina Women’s Basketball Coach Announces Incoming Recruits Greg And Dave BabylonBee  ;)

CLEVELAND, OH — Prior to the NCAA championship game, South Carolina Women's basketball coach Dawn Staley announced a pair of exciting incoming freshmen recruits named Greg and Dave.

"Forget Caitlin -- let's see how her scoring record holds up to a 7-foot beast that can drain threes," said Staley. "Welcome Greg and Dave to the Lady Gamecocks!"

According to sources, Greg Billings helped lead the Boys' Preparatory Academy of Tampa to the Florida state finals before announcing this spring he had become a chick. "After not receiving an offer from any SEC men's teams, I'm happy to announce that I am now totally a woman," said the seven-foot, 230-pound center. "I'm glad to finally be living my authentic self as the top women's basketball recruit in the country, and to get in that locker room. Thanks, Coach Staley!"

Recruiting services rank incoming freshman Dave Marshall out of Ohio as the number two recruit, a stud power forward who set the state record for number of dunks this past season. "Lob city, baby!" said Marshall. "I'm 'bout to dunk all over these little girls. We're about to break some backboards, South Carolina! Have some!"

At publishing time, the nation remained unsurprised that the first trans D-I athletes would be playing for a team called the "Lady Gamecocks".

In other "real" news...

CBS Sports:  South Carolina coach Dawn Staley says transgender athletes 'should be able to play'
« Last Edit: April 04/08/24, 08:32:53 AM by Steve-o »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
So Carolina basically won it with their bench.

So Carolina bench....37 points
Iowa bench.....0

Tessa Johnson, the 2023 Minnesota Miss Basketball Award winner out of St. Michael-Albertville High School, scored a team-high 19 points for the Gamecocks off the bench.
« Last Edit: April 04/08/24, 12:11:13 PM by KEN W »

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Most watched college basketball game in years. Men's or women's

18.7 million viewers.....24 million at it's peak.

Will the men's have more tonight???

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
8 bells. Time for them to shut up & play. :coffee:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Too much hype!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Caitlin Clark To Retire From Spotlight And Enter WNBA  TheBee ;)

CLEVELAND, OH — Following a heartbreaking loss that capped what had been a storybook run in the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament, Iowa standout Caitlin Clark announced her plan to retire from the spotlight and fade into obscurity with the WNBA.

With her popularity at an all-time high and fans across the country hailing her as being among the greatest players of all time, Clark said she had spent enough time in the public eye and was looking forward to moving on to the next chapter of her life in the quiet anonymity of a WNBA career.

"It's time for me to drop out of sight," Clark said at a press conference following Iowa's loss to South Carolina. "I've truly enjoyed my time playing competitive basketball and being out there in front of arenas filled with fans, but it's time to turn the page and move on to the peace and quiet of playing in the WNBA."

Though her fans were grateful for all the amazing memories Clark had given them, they were saddened by the thought that the start of her WNBA career meant they would never see her again. "It's tough to see her just disappear," one fan said. "We've really enjoyed watching her play, but she's earned the right to choose her next path. Apparently, it's something called a ‘WNBA' or something, whatever that is."

At publishing time, the WNBA had assured Clark that she could live the rest of her professional life undisturbed and unbothered by any media or fans.