Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: My meat stuffer finally arrived! Making snacks sticks for the 1st time!  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
My meat stuffer arrived on Thursday. I read the instructions, cleaned it thoroughly, then assembled it. Friday I ground up some venison and pork, added the seasoning and water, and then mixed up everything really good with my hands. I loaded up the stuffer, prepped the casings, and made 5lbs of snack sticks. I put them in the fridge to cure. This morning I fired up my pellet smoker and put in the sticks. I am now waiting for them to heat to 165 internal temp. Hopefully, they will turn out.

I had about a softball size amount of meat that was left in the stuffer after getting to the bottom. I didn’t want to waste it. So, I rolled it out and cut it with a pizza cutter and have it in the smoker for a few extra pieces of jerky.
« Last Edit: December 12/09/23, 11:17:20 AM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
« Last Edit: December 12/09/23, 12:14:48 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very nice.  That is one heck of a stuffer.  That will last you forever.  Sticks look great too.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
My meat stuffer arrived on Thursday. I read the instructions, cleaned it thoroughly, then assembled it. Friday I ground up some venison and pork, added the seasoning and water, and then mixed up everything really good with my hands. I loaded up the stuffer, prepped the casings, and made 5lbs of snack sticks. I put them in the fridge to cure. This morning I fired up my pellet smoker and put in the sticks. I am now waiting for them to heat to 165 internal temp. Hopefully, they will turn out.

I had about a softball size amount of meat that was left in the stuffer after getting to the bottom. I didn’t want to waste it. So, I rolled it out and cut it with a pizza cutter and have it in the smoker for a few extra pieces of jerky.

Nice set up.   I personally would pull the sticks at an IT of 155-160 and dump them into ice water until they cool to 110. 
« Last Edit: December 12/09/23, 12:49:16 PM by Scenic »

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Thanks Scenic! I am a newbie, so I will follow your advice.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
That should have said 155-160.   Fat finger typing there

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Looks good.....what seasoning did you use??

Ken, my wife had given me a pepperoni mix when she bought me the smoker for my birthday. Here is a picture.
« Last Edit: December 12/09/23, 11:40:46 AM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I am already planning round two...I was keeping close tabs on Scenic's sausage making posts and placed an online order for some Honey BBQ seasoning from PS Seasoning along with Willie's Snack Stick seasoning and some high temp cheddar cheese.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Nice set up.   I personally would pull the sticks at an IT of 155-169 and dump them into ice water until they cool to 110.

I'd pull at 155 to 158 and cool them down
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I followed your guys advice removed them at 155 IT. Then gave them an ice bath to stop them from cooking anymore. My first attempt at making snack stick was a success! They taste pretty good!

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Once you take them out of the ice water I put them in a strainer and let them bloom.  Looking forward to hearing how yours turns out.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
That's great!!   I think they get better after sitting for a night too.  Welcome to sausage making!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Putting in ice water keeps them from shriveling. Put them in the fridge overnight as suggested  and see if taste and firmness improves.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Nicely done!! once you get started doing that kind of thing it makes it almost impossible to put up with store bought anymore.
So many recipes, so little time!!!

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Good to hear you are already planning your next batch.  Sausage making is a lot of fun to make and by doing it yourself you know exactly what meat is going in those sticks. Those two flavors of sticks are good.  That Honey BBq has an issue however...they don't last long enough  :rotflmao:.