Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: New Site Member and hopefully new state resident  (Read 9882 times)

Offline IA_Guy

• Outdoorsman
Hey everyone,

New to this site, actually lived in Iowa my whole life, but some family ties in MN have  kept me visiting your state since childhood.  Most of my travels bring me north and west of Detroit Lakes area. I'm pretty familiar with DL north to Mahnomen, and from highway 59 east to Park Rapids.

I've done LOTS of fishing in that area and done pretty well most years, I am hoping in the next couple of years to move up that way, probably in or around Detroit Lakes proper.

I've come here and joined this site mainly to talk hunting, most of my trips that way have been during the summer, latest I have ever gone was maybe early September. Just wanting to get a feel for what kind of hunting is up there. Here in Iowa I hunt everything we have to offer, but I REALLY get fired up about duck hunting and turkey hunting. Pheasant hunting here used to be king but for the last 10-15 years it has really sucked. As of recently here in Iowa I have gotten into rabbit hunting (we just have cottontails, no jacks anymore) and have a beagle, but if I have to give up rabbit hunting, it's not a big heartbreaker for me. The dog has a warm bed and food bowl for him either way  :cool:

Anyway I'll poke around the forums and see what I can learn from you guys. Hope to glean some info, and hopefully in the next couple years I can finally make a dream a reality.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
welcome IA-Guy, it's a good site and a few characters included too!!  DL is a good area, good luck!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
welcome IA-Guy, it's a good site and a few characters included too!!  DL is a good area, good luck!!

Who you callin a character?  I resemble that remark! just because I'm :imstupid: sleazy-422.gif  hubba_hubba-404.gif  smoking_a_joint-408.gif

Anyhow  ::welcome:: IA_Guy. Were open here 24/7  :happy1:

Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
nice Lee!!!  I think a lot of us resemble those remarks!!   :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Welcome IAG.  Don't take anything too personal if someone teases you about anything.  We are just trying to have fun and have some laughs.  Welcome aboard....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Welcome, IAG! A fun site here!  All topics covered by a plethora of experts.  ;)  And no one teases on here.

Hey LPS, is that you and yer brudder in the avatar pic?!  : :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: February 02/28/17, 03:26:03 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 ::welcome:: IA_Guy, you're not alone as I too call south of the border home, NE Ia. A lot of good people here & plenty of info, even some you might want to remember. ;D Don't be shy & have some fun :happybounce:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Welcomr Freind!  lotsnof fun and great info.and and garage talk. make urself.at home!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline IA_Guy

• Outdoorsman
Thanks for the welcome fellas. Are there many folks on this site from the area I mentioned? West central ish?

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm east central, or so...

Anaways,  ::welcome:: to MNO!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the welcome fellas. Are there many folks on this site from the area I mentioned? West central ish?
Well Its Willmar for me,Relitives in an near Wadena, Park rapids,Love the straight river in a kayak for dem brown trout.But the home lake Diamond lake gives up all the fish we want,the surrounding lakes are fun to hit a couple times each, each year.If ya pass through an wanna fish give me a holler,Retired/disabled an bored!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
dont forget mentally incompetant :rotflmao: oh that you were glenn, oh well fits
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
dont forget mentally incompetant :rotflmao: oh that you were glenn, oh well fits
face_plant-2139.gif face_plant-2139.gif :mad1: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: training-087 :banghead: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey everyone,

New to this site, actually lived in Iowa my whole life, but some family ties in MN have  kept me visiting your state since childhood.  Most of my travels bring me north and west of Detroit Lakes area. I'm pretty familiar with DL north to Mahnomen, and from highway 59 east to Park Rapids.

I've done LOTS of fishing in that area and done pretty well most years, I am hoping in the next couple of years to move up that way, probably in or around Detroit Lakes proper.

I've come here and joined this site mainly to talk hunting, most of my trips that way have been during the summer, latest I have ever gone was maybe early September. Just wanting to get a feel for what kind of hunting is up there. Here in Iowa I hunt everything we have to offer, but I REALLY get fired up about duck hunting and turkey hunting. Pheasant hunting here used to be king but for the last 10-15 years it has really sucked. As of recently here in Iowa I have gotten into rabbit hunting (we just have cottontails, no jacks anymore) and have a beagle, but if I have to give up rabbit hunting, it's not a big heartbreaker for me. The dog has a warm bed and food bowl for him either way  :cool:

Anyway I'll poke around the forums and see what I can learn from you guys. Hope to glean some info, and hopefully in the next couple years I can finally make a dream a reality.
haven't been out that way much. around the dent perham area a bit. my home base is central minn......think st cloud area. been going to Itasca county all my life. not far from bowstring.

my grandparents used to fish sunfish on sugar bush lake outside Detroit lakes.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Welcome IA guy! We even let Hawkeye fans in here, right gunner?  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup, actually I expected a bit more harassment :scratch: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup, actually I expected a bit more harassment :scratch: :happy1:
oh that can still be arrianged!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Speaking of that, what ever happened to Mac McCausland and Larry Morgan, Gunner? Those guys used to drive me nuts back in the olden days when about the only Big 10 basketball we had access to was thru Raycom on Ch. 3 out of Mason City. The Hawkeyes could be down 30 points with 2 minutes left to go and those guys seemed convinced that they were gonna pull it out! Overall Ch. 3 was good for something tho. Gunsmoke and Bart's Clubhouse to name a few.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline IA_Guy

• Outdoorsman
Hey everyone,

haven't been out that way much. around the dent perham area a bit. my home base is central minn......think st cloud area. been going to Itasca county all my life. not far from bowstring.

My great grandparents used to own a very small and dilapidated "resort" on Sugar Bush! This was way back in the day. Spent many a summer up that way between there and Strawberry Lake/Ogema area. That is really my favorite area. Were your grandparents from around there too? I know a few names from up that way but not many.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey everyone,

My great grandparents used to own a very small and dilapidated "resort" on Sugar Bush! This was way back in the day. Spent many a summer up that way between there and Strawberry Lake/Ogema area. That is really my favorite area. Were your grandparents from around there too? I know a few names from up that way but not many.
no they were from stearns county!!!! they'd go up just about every labor day and memorial day. man they came home with some dandy sunfish. and everyone ofthem fish were scaled and cleaned whole..........and were gosh darn tasty. its always been on my bucket list to hit that lake!!!!!!

Offline IA_Guy

• Outdoorsman
It's a dandy. I used to know an old couple that lived in a very nice log home on the lake. This was the ground that my family used to own. His name was Fritz Congdon if I recall. Lived straight across from the resort out off the point.  Had a tennis court and pool and the whole works. It was really a trip to see his property as when my family owned it, it looked very rough. He did leave one of the cabins standing as an antique kinda deal which was cool.

Not sure if you can anymore but back in the day you could fish certain ponds at Tamarack wildlife refuge. PRIMITIVE boat ramps for sure but man there were some NICE crappie in there. Some pond near there I hooked into a 17 3/4" crappie and it is still on my wall today.

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
South of DL but know the area well. Your on the northern end for turkeys, southern end for bear, waterfowl is decent from what a buddy of tells me and decent deer hunting. Plenty of bunnies for your pooch! Good luck with a move when ya do!!!!!
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337