Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What Kind of Critter?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
I am sitting here with my back door open and have been listening to a critter for the last 1/2 an hour that is super loud.  I think it's a bird of some kind.  It is a couple of doors down.  It sounds like an owl kind of.  A cross between an owl and a cat.  It keeps crying over and over in short bursts (sometimes many in a row, some longer than others).  I went out with a flashlight and got as close as I can with the fences and it shut up when I started flashing around.  As soon as I came back in it started again.  At first I thought it may be an animal in distress, but now I assume it's looking for company.  Any clues?  I have seen wild turkey, hawks and meer kats (possum) in my backyard.  This thing is LOUD and persistant.  My dog is going nuts wanting out.   
« Last Edit: July 07/22/08, 10:59:21 AM by UncleDave »

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
The first thing that comes to mind for me is a sandhill crane.
Funny because I just saw two of them flying over hwy 65 on Sunday on my way home from MacGregor - south of Cambridge.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
I live a good mile from the river and he didn't start screaming until well after dark.  It sounded like Tarzan movie background noise. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Could be a Bobcat......They scream like a crying baby.

They sound kinda creepy at night.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
It was definitely creepy.  It sounded like an animal in pain.  It did stop after an hour or so.  I do live in a residential area off of Coon Rapids Blvd.  It wasn't a house cat.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Then it could have been a house cat killing a bunny.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
SLOOOOW death.  Poor kitty.  That was a cruel bunny.  J/K

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
It was that bunny on Monty Python......the one that guards the cave........... :rotflmao:

Hunter
« Last Edit: July 07/22/08, 11:29:35 AM by hunterdown »

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
vicious little things, they will fight if they have to, heard one get caught here the other night, buddy didnt know what it was, he never heard a rabbit scream before. the scream kind of gives you chills

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm not 100% certain, but there is a distinct possibility it's an Elephino!

[attachment deleted by admin]
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: Thats gotta be it Woody!  Have ya ever heard a screech owl... they sound like a wailing/screaming lady in the woods... The bobcat deal sounds even more wicked and kinda evil... my buddy wouldnt go down into a valley to his deerstand one morning when one was goin off repeatedly... :taz: I was laughin my  :censored: off, but it was pitch black out, and I wouldnt have gone either, my stand was the opposite direction, across a road, so I was feelin a bit more brave. :whistling:  Im thinkin its gotta be a rabbit or a screech owl...

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
It may have been the elusive Liger.  My neighbor down the road has one.   :happy1:

[attachment deleted by admin]