Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: treble hook question for tip-ups  (Read 2698 times)

Offline psebow

• Outdoorsman
I was wondering if someone could help clarify the treble hook law for tip-ups.  The regulations state that using a treble hook is connsidered 3 lines..unless it is part of an artifical lure.  I have been using treble hooks for year and have put a spinner on the line to make it "artifical"...is this legal?  Or does it need to be attached to the actual hook?  thanks for clarifying..

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
My buddy has taken the the little extra small blades you get with the swedish pimples and, using the rings, attached them to the eyelet of the trebel hook. He has been checked by the DNR with them and never got a ticket cause it was considered a lure then. BUT, I don't know if that was done from the leanencey of the CO or not. He also, has taken a smaller swedish pimple and just put a larger trebel hook on them.

I don't know if this helps or not...
But, If you have a question, and want a clarified answer, I would e-mail the DNR. They usually get back to you right away.

I myself, just use the single hook.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mnnate

• Outdoorsman
To my understanding all you need to do is add a spinner near the hook for it to be considered a "lure". The tip up rigs sold in stores just have a spinner on the wire leader above the treble.

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
the law states that you can only fish with one HOOK. and that a treble hook thats not part of al lure is three hooks and illegal. laws are never black and white. so, its up to officers to decide what a artificial lure is. i would say that the spinners on line right above a treble hook would be considered a lure by most officers, but a spinner above a leader like mnnate said i think you would end up with a ticket. just because stores sell things dosnt mean they are legal, and i would ask the dnr if going to try this. and remember just because someone is in the dnr info room donsnt mean they are giving you correct info so i would also ask your local co.
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline mnnate

• Outdoorsman
We have been checked and our local CO said these are ok and that they are considered a "lure". Other C.O.'s might not feel the same way.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I can't find where they define what a "lure" is in the regulations. past reg books used to define it as any hook with a bead on it. if you do ask a CO ask them what if anything transforms a "hook" into a "lure".
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
You can also use those 2-hook quick strike rigs without a spinner,  if its got treble hooks on it though, to be legal it needs a spinner, even if its a tiny flick spinner, that makes it legal....

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
thunderpout, the laws state you can only fish with ONE hook. two would be illegal unles its part of a lure. and mnnate those to me look like they would pass the lure test, especially because the spinner is permanently attatched to the leader.
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!