Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Artificial Or Live?  (Read 1833 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
When you people go out ice fishing...Do you use artificial bait or stick with the live bait?

I have never used artificial bait during the winter. I've always used wax worms, magots, minnows or minnow heads.

Do any of the artificial baits, like power grubs work good for ice fishing?

Are there others out there that you use?

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Mainly waxies or spikes but the red gulp nuggets are excellent at times. I rarely use minnows in the winter, but i always have a scoop with me in case thats the hot bait.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline mathews4ever

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have had some luck with artificials. I like the new line of gulp baits that are really small for panfish and other light biters. I usaully just use minnows or eurolarva though.
"when a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is twenty feet closer to god." -Fred Bear-

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I mainly use spikes or waxies, but I have had good luck with the Little Atom Nuggies.

Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline huntinchick

• Outdoorsman
I like using euro larva over waxies. 

Offline pheasantman2121

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
live bait i like euro larva over waxies.  And crappie minnows unless fishing for walleyes or notherns then shiners.
« Last Edit: December 12/29/08, 12:32:13 PM by pheasantman2121 »
For all your HVAC needs contact me at
763-587-5796

Labs 4 Me

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
i have switched over to almost one hundred percent artifical baits.......they work all year.....from micro baits ot fishing at over 150 ft deep ......i like the stuff and getting some really good results..........tw
trout whisperer author/guide

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
I like live bait, but when I first get on the ice, I'll put a artifical down one hole and live bait down the other and let the fish tell me what they want.  90% of the time they want live bait.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
live bait :happybounce: :happybounce: :happybounce: :happybounce: :happybounce: :happybounce: :happybounce: :happybounce: :fishing2: :fishing2: :fishing2:

Offline Stensethfan

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I am going more and more artificial.  It seems that I can get just as many to bite on the fake stuff as i can on live.  I only like a few minnows for my dead stick rod.  The other one I jig up with some sort of plastic.  I like the money savings of not having to buy a bunch of bait all the time.
Don't shoot anything you do not plan on eating ~ D. S.
If the women don't find you handsome at least they will find you handy!  Red Green

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
I am going more and more artificial.  It seems that I can get just as many to bite on the fake stuff as i can on live.  I only like a few minnows for my dead stick rod.  The other one I jig up with some sort of plastic.  I like the money savings of not having to buy a bunch of bait all the time.

Agreed. I do buy my euro larva in bulk from Vados so I always have them on hand. Live bait is good for your dead stick. But if you are jigging then artificial will work just fine. Atoms and Bloodworms are some of my favorites to use.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.