Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hunting during a snow storm  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Moving2thecountry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Last year I was in a stand during a big storm during muzzle loader, and I saw some deer moving, but out of range. 

What's your experience during snow?

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Based on my past experiences:

Depends on how heavy the snowfall is and especially how hard the wind is blowing.  Light snow fall didn't seem to interfere but the heavy keeps them tight to the bedding areas.  The wind, I think, is the biggest factor.  The can smell better but they cannot hear as good.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Snow makes hunting harder than ever because it hangs on the trees making it in some areas impossible to see any distance. some of the area I like to hunt is full of balsams and my time is better spent with something more fun like shoveling.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
My experience with light snow is that it doesn't impede the movement of deer whatsoever.

In high winds/blizzard like conditions seems like the deer button up to their beds and I walk around a little bit, then go home and drink a beer  :toast:.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
^^^^^
I agree with Lex......

If it's nasty out, your better off walking into the wind, up to bedding areas. (or at home with a beer in your hand)  ;)
Medium to light snow, calm....I sit in the stand.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I agree with everyone else. 

If there is a big storm, there will be a ton of moment right after it.  The deer seem to bed down and hold their ground.  Once it is finished, there is a lot of activity.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline MNBucKKiller

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
^^^^^

If it's nasty out, your better off walking into the wind, up to bedding areas. (or at home with a beer in your hand)  ;)
Medium to light snow, calm....I sit in the stand.

Hunter

If there is a big storm, there will be a ton of moment right after it.  The deer seem to bed down and hold their ground.  Once it is finished, there is a lot of activity.

Couldn't agree with both these quotes more.