Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Apply by Sept. 9 to harvest antlerless deer in lottery areas  (Read 1434 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
News Releases
Apply by Sept. 9 to harvest antlerless deer in lottery areas
(Released August 19, 2010)

Deer hunters who use a firearm or muzzleloader in a lottery area and want to harvest an antlerless deer must apply for an either-sex permit by the Thursday, Sept. 9, deadline established by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

Nearly half of Minnesota’s deer permit areas now are lottery areas. They include deer permit areas 103, 108, 118, 119, 127, 152, 155, 169, 171, 172, 173, 176, 183, 184, 197, 218, 219, 223, 224, 229, 230, 235, 238, 246, 247, 250, 251, 252, 253, 255, 258, 259, 262, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 283, 285, 289, 290, 291, 294, 295, 296, 299, 338A, 338B, 347A, 347B.

“Annually we estimate deer numbers using a population model that considers harvest and over-winter survival,” said Lou Cornicelli, DNR big game program coordinator. “We then use that information to determine which areas would be designated as lottery.”

In lottery deer areas, firearms and muzzleloader hunters may only harvest a buck unless they apply for and receive an either-sex permit, which allows them to harvest an antlerless deer. For 2010, all firearm and muzzleloader hunters must apply if they want to take an either-sex deer. Successful applicants will be able to take an antlerless deer in that area only during the season listed on the application.

“For example, if you apply for the permit for the muzzleloader season, it’s not valid during firearms season,” Cornicelli said.

This year, hunters are able to apply for one firearm and one muzzleloader permit. However, a hunter cannot take more than one deer from all lottery areas during all deer seasons, which include archery, firearms and muzzleloader.

Individuals who are successful in both lotteries may only fill one permit. If the permit is filled during the firearm season, the muzzleloader either-sex permit is no longer valid. If a hunter harvests a deer during the firearms season in a lottery area, that hunter still can hunt statewide during the muzzleloader season in any managed or intensive area.

Lottery winners will receive permits via U.S. mail. Hunters may apply for an either-sex permit through any Electronic License System agent, online or by calling 1-888-665-4236.

Bonus permits cannot be used in lottery deer areas, regardless of weapon type. Hunters who are unsuccessful in the lottery may only harvest a legal buck throughout the season in lottery deer areas.

Archery hunters may take a deer of either sex in a lottery area without applying for a permit. Archery hunters who are successful in any lottery area may not harvest another deer from any other lottery area using a bow, firearm or muzzleloader. They may harvest additional deer using bonus permits in managed and intensive areas.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
   This may be a stupid question.  I have never applied for a doe permit before.  Do you need to pay for the application?  Do you need to buy your buck tag at the same time? :scratch:  The reason I ask is I am not sure if I will hunt this year.  If I were to get a doe tag I would.  It looks like I am going to have to do some fall fishing to win that challenge. ;D
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Nope, you don't have to pay for the application.
But, you need to buy your buck tag in order to apply for the lottery.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!