Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: DNR invites public input on Lake Vermilion, Soudan Underground Mine parks  (Read 941 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
DNR invites public input on Lake Vermilion, Soudan Underground Mine state parks draft master plan at upcoming open houses
(Released November 22, 2010)

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) invites anyone with an interest in Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine state parks to attend one of two open houses in December to provide input on the parks’ draft master plan.

The draft master plan, which is a cooperative plan for both state parks, includes directional statements about the types of activities (e.g., hiking, camping, boating) that will be offered, how natural and cultural resources will be protected and interpreted, and suggested locations for major facilities within the parks. Minnesota Statutes (MS 86A.09) require a master plan before major park development can begin.

The open houses will be at the following times and locations:

Tuesday, Dec. 7, 5 - 8 p.m., Silverwood Regional Park, 2500 West County Road E., Fridley, Minn.
Thursday, Dec. 9, 4:30-7:30 p.m., Tower Civic Center, 402 Pine Street, Tower, Minn.
The draft master plan for the park is the result of a public-input driven process including a Citizen’s Advisory Committee, an online early public input questionnaire (Aug. 26 - Sept. 30), a 30-day public review/comment period for the draft master plan (Nov. 22 - Dec. 22), and two public open houses.

At the December open houses, DNR staff and Citizens Advisory Committee members will be available to answer questions. Display maps and other park information will be available for review.

Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine state parks are located on the southeastern shores of Lake Vermilion, near the towns of Tower and Soudan, Minn. Lake Vermilion is located just south of the Superior National Forest and Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, and includes 40,557 acres of water, 368 islands, and 340 miles of shoreline. Ten miles of shoreline and 4,000 acres of land are within the statutory boundaries of Lake Vermilion and Soudan Underground Mine state parks.

For an electronic copy, more information, and a public input questionnaire about the parks’ draft master plan, call the DNR Information Center, 651-296-6157, or toll-free 888-646-6367 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!