Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Anyone try grain sorgum?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
This year we are going to try planting grain sorgum aroung the rye grain plot.  has anyone tried planting the sorgum?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought sorgum was mainly planted for pheasants?   :scratch:
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We were hoping to provide screening for the deer in the foodplots and also help us get to and from the stands undetected.  Also provide food in the winter for grouse and deer.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I have planted it in the past....what would you like to know?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Which type of sorgum would bo best in northern MN.  We now have an old 2 row corn planter that worked GREAT for sweatcorn last year, So planting isn't an issue.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
i dont know certain type that we use at the hunting club. but thats all we plant(for cover) and the deer hit it hard during the colder months

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I planted Egyptian Wheat last yr which is in the Sorgum family. Why not do corn as a screen? You can spray the corn with round up.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Was wondering the same a little myself but everyone has a little different angle. We used to plant some around here for pheasants. What we had wouldn't make much of a screen I'm afraid as it was pretty short, maybe 3' - 4' tall depending on where it was on the landscape. Much of the grain sirghum has been shortened up for ease of harvest, standability, etc. Forage sorghum is a little different animal. That gets tall and we used it sometimes on a couple rows of the 4 row plot planter in conjunction with a couple rows of corn. The idea was to provide the pheasants with some cover in addtion to the food. It became a tangled up mess but the pheasants liked it.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I have ben looking for a small planter to try some beans or corn. I haven't found one yet.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away